QUEST: Find an Eco-Overlander Vehicle

durango_60

Explorer
bigreen505 said:
Subaru Outback is about 22-26, a couple higher if you run synthetics all the way through (engine, transmission, diffs). ?

We consistently get 28-30 with my wifes 2004 Outback. If I were looking for a light duty road trip and dirt road vehicle I would look no further than the Subaru dealership, it has been a flawless vehicle.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
durango_60 said:
We consistently get 28-30 with my wifes 2004 Outback. If I were looking for a light duty road trip and dirt road vehicle I would look no further than the Subaru dealership, it has been a flawless vehicle.

Wow, I'm jealous! My wifes 2002 gets 23-26. My sister's 2001 runs about 24-28 with 27.6 being a solid highway average running full synthetics. One thing with the Subarus, at least the 2001, is the speedometer is very accurate when matched against a GPS, so I have confidence that mileage figures people report are accurate.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
expeditionswest said:
I like the Suzuki route. Doing some work on your Tacoma might be a good option too. Narrow, street/mileage biased tires and some engine efficiency work could get you into the 22-23 range. Then save for a Diesel conversion for the Tacoma. It doesnt quite get you to 30 mpg, but it would save you a lot of $$$

It would be nice if there were aftermarket kits for manual locking hubs for newer Tacomas and 4Runners. That could eliminate a little more drivetrain drag. Also eliminate all of the excess weight and aerodynamic drag as much as possible. We add in sliders, bumpers, second batteries and fridges and its no wonder that our mileage goes down. Emulating the ultralight backpackers might be a good compromise.

A question for Desert Rose: 20MPG sounds average to good for the Taco so will you have to give up payload and space in order to achieve 30 MPG in another vehicle?

durango_60

Explorer
bigreen505 said:
Wow, I'm jealous! My wifes 2002 gets 23-26. My sister's 2001 runs about 24-28 with 27.6 being a solid highway average running full synthetics. One thing with the Subarus, at least the 2001, is the speedometer is very accurate when matched against a GPS, so I have confidence that mileage figures people report are accurate.

I'll be sure to thank my wife for being light footed.:26_7_2:

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
teotwaki said:
It would be nice if there were aftermarket kits for manual locking hubs for newer Tacomas and 4Runners. That could eliminate a little more drivetrain drag. Also eliminate all of the excess weight and aerodynamic drag as much as possible. We add in sliders, bumpers, second batteries and fridges and its no wonder that our mileage goes down. Emulating the ultralight backpackers might be a good compromise.

A question for Desert Rose: 20MPG sounds average to good for the Taco so will you have to give up payload and space in order to achieve 30 MPG in another vehicle?

Good question. I have a lot of unused payload and space in the Taco - I'd rather have the option of 4 seats for friends and family.

I like where you're going with your query: I'll paraphrase it to can we do more with less?

I really had thought I could find something in the cross-over SUV or CUTE-UTE (love that!) but none of those is really "less" in the grand scheme of wanting to be more ecological (less cost to environment) and economical (less cost to me). I would not gain much economy, and I'd give up a great vehicle (Tacoma) that does a heck of a lot more on the trail.

See the PDF of the spreadsheet I did - first post. Not a lot of difference. That's why I ended up steering away from the Subarus, because they didn't seem to have the mileage that I was aiming for (closer to 30) - though some people seem to differ with what I'm reading on Consumer Reports. I think driving styles have a lot to do with it!

But maybe I should revisit my original goals and background, to keep on track.

Why I'm considering doing this:

- I thought it would be interesting to try to find a real 'ecological' and 'economical' vehicle that is comfortable on the highway, easy enough to drive in the city, and could be used for overlanding (we already own a superb FJ40 and a project Land Rover 88 - so do I really need a third super-trail-worthy vehicle?).

- I do this every once in a while (swap vehicles) - I love vehicles, especially 4x4s, and though I adore my Tacoma, it has its faults: poor gas economy for its size, seats only 2, and the cargo area is inconvenient (I loved the convenience of my 4-door FJ55, for example).

So in the spirit of some recent discussions in the Conservation section about environmentally conscious overlanding, I wanted to see if it was possible to find a truck that fit my criteria.

Below is a list of criteria, and my true secret goal revealed. :roost:

ECO-OVERLANDER PROJECT
Economical & Ecological Overlanding Vehicle

Primary Goal:
- Replace 2000 4WD Tacoma TRD (V6, Xcab,188K miles, OME, rear-locker, ARE topper, ARB)
- Est. sale price $11,000​

Secret Goal:
- Have enough $ left over to buy a 250cc dual-sport moto :luxhello:​

Criteria for new vehicle:
- Must be high-fuel-economy (i.e. - over 30 mpg average if possible; I don't consider 20 mpg to be remotely economical under my definition)
- Diesel or able to convert to diesel a major plus
- Seating for four
- Prefer 4WD or AWD; low-range very desirable but necessary? not sure
- Comfortable on highway
- Airbags
- NHTSA rating 4-5 a big plus​

I'll add, for clarity:

- Able to do light overlanding (no rock-crawling) and exploration on dirt roads and some backcountry. Remember, we've got an FJ40.

- Would be nice to have a "highway" comfortable vehicle, and one that's a little easier to drive in town than the LC (though I do get shapely biceps from driving it).

I frankly am surprised I can't find something like the Outback that gets good mileage. [And I'm going to keep saying, I don't think 20-23 mpg is "good" mileage - remember the 70s energy crisis? Hondas came in that were getting 40mpg - now that's good!]

I keep leaning more and more toward diesel . . .

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
thanks for the note.. Yes I love my 55/s, I was a "FJ60 guy" for years but I dig the narrowness and uniqueness of the rare FJ55 models.. And the diesel conversions are great.. I forgot airbags.. Proffitt's Cruisers is doing turnkey diesel swaps into 80 series cruisers now for about $12G.. A lot of course, but you can get a 80 with blown motor here and there for $3G or less... Auto sucks though.. Here is a link to their site on it...

http://www.proffittscruisers.com/diesel/index.html
http://www.proffittscruisers.com/diesel/cummins/index.html

slooowr6

Explorer
30 mpg is going to be really hard to reach. Too bad there is no small diesel cross over cars. The TDI jetta gets 45MPG!! I'm interesting to see what you end up with! :lurk:

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
slooowr6 said:
30 mpg is going to be really hard to reach. Too bad there is no small diesel cross over cars. The TDI jetta gets 45MPG!! I'm interesting to see what you end up with! :lurk:

I agree!:yikes:

Maybe one of these makes more sense:

:26_16_2:

But if you look at the comparative costs of the vehicles by fuel type/economy, you see it's really splitting hairs if you don't shoot for 30 . . .

It's been said before: I ask too much!

Less is more . . . do more with less . . .

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
I agree. If you are already running close to 20 mpg, you have to be at 30 before you see any real financial or range benefits.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
my estimates are that a VW TDI would actually get 30 mpg or close to it, easily, in a Toyota pickup. This has been a swap I have been considering a long time as well. Problem is, all this is a lot of work. It has been done by several people, I'll dig up some links...

Here is another diesel swap company. These guys have it right, in my opinion...
http://www.dieseltoyz.com/

ACME adapters, which does mostly Samurai stuff, does a TDI kit to a Toyota pickup adapter. It is expensive, but I think it would definitely be a worthy swap. Problem is, both are fuel managed electronically (ie computer). I would figure out a clean way to remove the Toyota computer system, and use the TDI with a full computer setup. Boosted to as high as 130 hp, there is not much fuel mileage loss.

Again, the other issue is these are all used vehicles. Again, there are Dodge, Ford, all sorts of diesels coming out. I am upset that they won't put a manual in a quad cab Tacoma.. So I can't say that Toyota necessarily "gets it" but I have a feeling by 2015, we may see some neat diesel options from Toyota, finally, again...

Another option is a Benz 5 cyl turbo. But there is no way you will touch 30 mpg with that setup unfortunately... MAybe 20, and right back at where you are. Except you can run bio...

The Isuzu 4BD engines are killer too. Would require custom adapters though. We are putting one in a FJ62 currently...

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Here are some links courtesy of my red star membership at Pirate (totally lame they charge that.. to search ... :rolleyes: )

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=354974&highlight=volkswagen

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=554084&highlight=dieseltoyz
Really good info on the dieseltoyz swaps. I believe they are in Texas. I really like their technique and outlook on the diesel conversions. Everything seems 100% accurate and correct of everything I've seen them say on the forums and on their web site...
EDIT: on this page, they are claiming 35 mpg from some of their setups...
http://www.dieseltoyz.com/index-2.html

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
dieselcruiserhead said:
Here is another diesel swap company. These guys have it right, in my opinion...
http://www.dieseltoyz.com/

The Isuzu 4BD engines are killer too. Would require custom adapters though. We are putting one in a FJ62 currently...

I was going to post this link as well. This way you can keep the Tacoma.

I personally would like to go the 4BT or Isuzu route when $$$ permits into a 55/60. Only a Cruiser will do!!!

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
For light overlanding and great on-road, check out the Hyundai Tucson. I rent them out regularly and always get rave reviews from my customers. I love driving it too, and the mileage is great.

pwc

Explorer
Hmmmmm....what about just lifting a Passat Wagon. they hold a lot!!

050908-182952-5825_std.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal