QUEST: Find an Eco-Overlander Vehicle

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
Grim Reaper said:
You are NOT going to save money doing a diesel swap in anything. It will in fact cost you more. If you are doing the swap its for the cool factor and nothing else.

But the project is not just Economical (saving money for me) I'd like it to be Ecological (saving fuel and/or emissions) - so burning biodiesel or SVO (veg oil) is of huge interest to me.

I do realize the diesel swap is a Pandora's box, so I've also been looking at imports.

Jarco looks interesting, by the way - good folks, it seems.

I may end up with something completely different than I started looking for, but this whole process is extremely valuable to me , and fun!

DesertRose

TeleScooby said:
OK, so a couple of thoughts on this one:

First, as a Forester driver, I gotta say, can't go wrong with a Scooby! Find a 2000-2004 5mt with reasonable mileage, import some bits (bull bars, sump guard and lift kit) from Australia, add a basket to the roof and you're good to go! You'll likely see in the high 20s-low 30s freeway, assuming a reasonable street tire, have plenty of space for light overlanding, etc...

Check out http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/

for more info...I'm Seattleforester over there.

Second comment, what about a first gen RAV4? They get great mileage, there are lift kits, etc...pretty widely available, they're Toyotas...and when/if it ever dies, you can do the same diesel swap as with a zuke...

I've been looking online, and a reasonably low mileage '99 or 2000 would go for less than $6000...

I do really like the first-generation RAV4 - very reasonable (just saw a one-owner one for sale in a retirement community - probably very pampered! - with all the power goodies and in fabulous shape, under 90K miles, for $5000).

Can you really do a diesel swap on the RAV?

Would have to get over the Cute-Ute thing, though! I am not the demographic for an SUV designed to appeal to women. Favorite truck of all time was my big green FJ55. And what lovely biceps it gave me!

I'm still checking out Subarus. The reported fuel economies are so far off from Consumer Reports, tho.

Guess it depends on the lightness of foot! (I'm not necessarily prone to being light of foot . . . )

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I regularly got an "indicated" 28mpg on my Outback. However, the speedo was somewhat "fast" and the odo somewhat generous compared to the GPS readings (i.e. the odometer would show an error of about +4% of indicated miles) so my guess is that actual mileage was probably more like 26.5-27.

Seems to me the only way to break through that barrier will be to go with something a lot lighter. My old 85 Toyota PU regularly got 25mpg on the highway, but that was with no power anything (including power steering) and a regular cab. Modern vehicles have so much (IMO unneccessary) stuff on them that it's hard to break the 30mpg barrier with anything other than a micro-car like the Fit.

Maddmatt

Explorer
I'll throw in too, just for fun. We've got an '01 Outback, has been a great car for six years now, but 30mpg is a fantasy. Routinely get 26-27 fully loaded on the highway, with a Thule box on the roof, but that is the high end of the spectrum. Around town 22-24 is more likely. Great in snow though, as this winter proved - probably not a requirement in your area.

For reference, I got 24-26 in my '92 Toyota pickup with the 22RE. Best mileage ever was 28, that was with an inverted aluminum canoe on it. I figured the canoe acted as a sail.

I'm sure there's something out there for you, and I'm enjoying watching the search!
-Matt

DesertRose

Europe got a fantastic RAV4 diesel in 01; South Africa is getting them this year. I don't think Canada got them, unfortunately. Here's a tease [I think they measure by Imperial gallons, so the fuel economy comparison to here is a bit off]:

• Latest technology, common rail, 2.0-litre D-4D diesel
    Exceptional fuel economy, low noise, low emissions
    Available in the same four trim levels as RAV4 petrol (NV, NRG, GX and VX)
    Excellent combined fuel consumption of 39.8 mpg
    0-62mph in 12.1 seconds, maximum speed of 106mph
    WIL (Whiplash Injury Lessening) front seats, ABS with EBD (Electronic Brakeforce Distribution) and twin front airbags standard on all grades
    MPV-style versatility with rear seats designed to slide, fold, tumble and be removed
    Air conditioning standard on all grades
    Remote alarm and Thatcham Category One immobiliser fitted as standard
    Roof rails standard on all grades
    Offered with three-year/ 60,000 mile warranty as standard
    On sale in the UK from 1 September 2001

The RAV4 D-4D exploits the very latest Toyota high pressure, common rail diesel technology and will be available in both three and five door bodystyles in the UK from September. The new RAV4 diesel will offer customers excellent performance, smooth power and outstanding fuel economy.

The RAV4 diesel is the latest in a rapidly introduced line of diesel-engined cars by Toyota. Corolla, Avensis, Previa (and soon Yaris) have all seen the addition of diesel to the range.

Excellent Performance

The new versions of the RAV4 will be fitted with the latest generation 2.0-litre, Toyota D-4D common rail diesel engine. This develops 114bhp (85kW) at 4,000rpm and offers constant torque of 250Nm across the power band from 1,800rpm to 3,000rpm.

Power has been increased by 5bhp over the previous 2.0-litre D-4D engine used on Avensis saloon with the fitment of a variable nozzle turbocharger. Meanwhile, harmful emissions have been decreased with the addition of cooling to the exhaust gas recirculation system. The new RAV4 D-4D complies with European Step III emissions limits.

The high torque output and low fuel consumption of the D-4D engine adds to the impressive list of features for the RAV4 – the fashionable Sports Utility Vehicle which is equally happy either on or off-road.

Fuel consumption is outstanding – 39.8mpg for both the three and five door models on the combined European cycle. Yet performance is still excellent – top speed of 106mph and acceleration from rest to 62mph in 12.1 seconds. The new diesel-engined versions of RAV4 will be available only with full-time four-wheel drive and a five speed manual gearbox.

The New RAV4

Since launch across Europe last summer, RAV4 has proved again to be one of the most popular vehicles in the small SUV market – comfortably beating Toyota sales targets. The new RAV4 has built on the reputation of the original vehicle, launched in 1994 as the first SUV to offer GTi handling and performance with a more rugged appearance and involving driving style.

The RAV4 offers customers more space, better performance, better ride and better economy than other vehicles in the market. Until now it has been available with a choice of 1.8-litre engine with two-wheel drive or 2.0-litre petrol engine four-wheel drive.

More than 30,000 new RAV4s have been sold in Europe in less than 12 months since launch with just over two-thirds of the sales being five door models. Countries where RAV4 has proved a particular success include the UK, Germany, France, and Italy.

Warming up to this theme now . . .

The idea of Lite Expedition (toss out the Cute-Ute) and think: Backpacking corollary to say, Horsepacking.

:coffeedrink:

DesertRose

Kermit said:
A BMW GS650 or KTM640....with side cars on either side...60-70 mpg and seating for 4....solves the daul sport quest too!

Hey, I like that!

But Scott would ask: Where do you put the Engel?

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
The central problem with fuel economy is this: If Roseann buys something best described by passers-by as "cute," our gas mileage will go all to hell, because I'll refuse to be seen in it and will be forced to follow her on all our trips in the FJ40 or Grendel.

She keeps mentioning cheetah-spot paint jobs . . .

Scott Brady

Founder
What about an Escape Hybrid? We can ExPo it out too, as there are lifts and other goodies available (even a snorkel!)

29 MPG in the city! It is billed as the most fuel effecient SUV on the planet.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
expeditionswest said:
What about an Escape Hybrid? We can ExPo it out too, as there are lifts and other goodies available (even a snorkel!)

29 MPG in the city! It is billed as the most fuel effecient SUV on the planet.

This is a very interesting subject. Unfortunately, an Escape Hybrid is not intended to go offroad. The rear axle is powered by an electric motor which would probably not react very well when crossing rivers.

This is one of the main reason why I decided to buy a TroopCarrier in Australia rather than getting something here. I could not find anything decent for an expedition truck that was getting over 20 mpg. My Troopie gets over 20 mpg fully loaded. When you are on the road, fuel is most likely the biggest expense you are facing. Beside beers and wines.

The Land Rover 110 Tdi is supposed to get close to 30 mpg, but I never had one so I can't confirm. I might buy one just to check...

:rally_guys:

Christian

gjackson

FRGS
The Land Rover 110 Tdi is supposed to get close to 30 mpg, but I never had one so I can't confirm. I might buy one just to check...

Hmmm. . .not quite. I can get 28 on the highway and 23- 24 around town. Of course mine weighs 7000lbs and is built like a bread truck, so I'm not helping anything out there. Bigger intercooler is supposed to improve things. May have to do that. . .

cheers

Scott Brady

Founder
2aroundtheworld said:
The rear axle is powered by an electric motor

That is very cool and very uncool all at the same time. Interesting technology solution there!

Roseann,

Just so you know what my vote would be, and I am certainly tempted myself:

Discovery 5-Speed with 300TDI. Pretty much the best of everything in my book. I had the chance to drive one for a few days while in France. If consistently got 28-30 MPG and was great to drive. All the Land Rover payload and trail performance (plus comfortable seating for four/five) and great mileage. There is a guy bringing those motors in now, I will try to find out who he was.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I'm not positive, but my understanding on the Escape Hybrid is that the 4wd version has a fwd biased awd system that sends torque to the rear wheels when detecting slip to the front wheels. Both the eletric motor and the gas motor motivate the front primarily. The front and the rear brakes contribute to the regenerative braking, perhaps that is what you are thinking of??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal