Question for the TDI folks

wagsww3

Explorer
I'm shopping around for a 110 or 130 trying to decide between the TD5 and 300 TDI. I know the TD5 is super great and everything but all the trucks I find with that motor cost a great deal more and they are not quite as common. My biggest questions are how are the 300's performance at altitude and are they tweakable? Any info would be a tremendous help because I've found some great rigs and I can't wait to start living my dream and finally owning my first Defender.
Cheers!:friday:

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
Pardon the question but, where do you live? I ask because TD5s are illegal in the US, and technically TDIs are too unless

1) they are in a truck 25 years old or older imported in to the US, or
2) you want to take the chance and drop one in to a non OBDII (therefore <1996) and you live in an area that doesnt perform emission testing. Some have gotten around the emission testing, but that seems to be dependent on where you live.

Congrats on going for a 110 or 130! Cant wait to see what you get.

DividingCreek

Explorer
Pardon the question but, where do you live? I ask because TD5s are illegal in the US, and technically TDIs are too unless

1) they are in a truck 25 years old or older imported in to the US, or
2) you want to take the chance and drop one in to a non OBDII (therefore <1996) and you live in an area that doesnt perform emission testing. Some have gotten around the emission testing, but that seems to be dependent on where you live.

Congrats on going for a 110 or 130! Cant wait to see what you get.

Thats incorrect. The 25yr rule applies to trucks with their original engine. If the engine isn't original then the truck isn't eligible for entry. Td5 and tdi engines aren't epa approved and aren't eligible/legal no matter what.

The td5 is more easily modified by simply plugging in a laptop and changing the injection tuning. Modifying a tdi is more involved and more expensive. The charm of the tdi is its simplicity. Best of luck with your hunt

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
Thats incorrect. The 25yr rule applies to trucks with their original engine. If the engine isn't original then the truck isn't eligible for entry. Td5 and tdi engines aren't epa approved and aren't eligible/legal no matter what.

The td5 is more easily modified by simply plugging in a laptop and changing the injection tuning. Modifying a tdi is more involved and more expensive. The charm of the tdi is its simplicity. Best of luck with your hunt

Thanks for the clarification. Question, if they (TDI) are illegal regardless, then how are they getting through customs?

wagsww3

Explorer
Tdi

Thanks fellas! The info is helping. I live at about 5,500 ft. and go through a few passes in CO often. Usually from 11,000 to around 13,000 ft. This Defender will be going on surf trips to Baja and I'm planning a two month trip to Fairbanks Alaska, across Canada, down to NC and back to NM. I also like the simplicity idea. This is what I'm selling to finally get into a Defender. Although I'm very pleased with how it performs everywhere, it's still not a Defender, never will be.

Attachments

• summer vacation '11 238.jpg
    summer vacation '11 238.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0382.JPG
    IMG_0382.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 36

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Building a 130 now, currently has a SBC, but I also have a Tdi setup that could be used instead. Check sold section of our site, and let me know if I can help. Cheers

florimoser

130 Camper for sale

the new 2011 TD4 Defender is still arrived for the new project.

These TD5 130er Camper is for sale now. 147.000 km, First registered in 2000, fully serviced, best conditions, no rust at all, 4 new aluminium doors!, Salisbury Rear-Axel, HD-Chassis, Aluminium Camper Conversion with sleeping roof and and and... But it's located in Germany, too far away...

More:http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/s...Motorhome&negativeFeatures=EXPORT&tabNumber=2

Attachments

• $(KGrHqZ,!lIE5cpHfnzIBOYdmzS69Q~~_14.JPG
    $(KGrHqZ,!lIE5cpHfnzIBOYdmzS69Q~~_14.JPG
    1.8 KB · Views: 256
  • $(KGrHqMOKicE5hdolt,zBOYdmwCOcg~~_19.JPG
    $(KGrHqMOKicE5hdolt,zBOYdmwCOcg~~_19.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 34

wagsww3

Explorer
Building a 130 now, currently has a SBC, but I also have a Tdi setup that could be used instead. Check sold section of our site, and let me know if I can help. Cheers

I've been watching your web sight for a long time. You've got some great looking rigs coming out of there. I'm afraid a restoration or modification like those will be out of reach for me. Everything I've found as a posibility fell in the mid $30's price range. I forgot to mention that this defender is going to be a daily driver for me. I'm kinda leaning more towards the 110's for that. I do have some very cool ideas for a 130 though. I guess it all depends on what I can find. Everyones information on this subject is really helping and I'm greatful for everyones responce.

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
How does a 130 compare to pick-ups in the US? About the same size as the quarter ton trucks (Ranger, Tacomas, Colorados), or half ton (Silverados, F150s, Tundras) or inbetween? I havent ever seen a 130 in person.

DividingCreek

Explorer
A 130 is a 5/4 ton rated pickup. The rear has a dual coil spring setup for soft ride when unladen and stiff with slight compression.The frame between the suspension ears is double the thickness of 90's and 110's. The bed length is a bit short @ just around 6 ft. I'm 6ft 6 so cant sleep in the back unless the tail gate is open or I curl up. The rear tub is double wall construction unlike other models so a load shift in the rear doesn't result in a dent in your quarter panel like on my 110. The rear bed is about 3 inches wider on each side so about 6 inches wider than a normal defender. The cab is the same as a 110 in configuration except that I think there is slightly more rear legroom in the 130. One of the neat things about a 130 is the rear seat box is a huge lockable storage locker under the fold forward 60/40 seats. My truck is on its 3rd 300tdi engine and second r380 transmission, not sure on transfer cases as i have had 3 in there-currently have a 1.2 lt230q in. i regularly tow rediculously heavy loads with the little 2.5 liter. Off road the truck can be a mother in tight situations, in others the wheel base gives me traction when others have none. I wheel it hard and it breaks. Right now my drop arm/drag link is sleeved with a hi lift handle after a lost battle with some granite, and the rear Salisbury locker is acting up. Owned a lot of Rovers-love this thing.

Last edited:

wagsww3

Explorer
A 130 is a 5/4 ton rated pickup. The rear has a dual coil spring setup for soft ride when unladen and stiff with slight compression.The frame between the suspension ears is double the thickness of 90's and 110's. The bed length is a bit short @ just around 6 ft. I'm 6ft 6 so cant sleep in the back unless the tail gate is open or I curl up. The rear tub is double wall construction unlike other models so a load shift in the rear doesn't result in a dent in your quarter panel like on my 110. The rear bed is about 3 inches wider on each side so about 6 inches wider than a normal defender. The cab is the same as a 110 in configuration except that I think there is slightly more rear legroom in the 130. One of the neat things about a 130 is the rear seat box is a huge lockable storage locker under the fold forward 60/40 seats. My truck is on its 3rd 300tdi engine and second r380 transmission, not sure on transfer cases as i have had 3 in there-currently have a 1.2 lt230q in. i regularly tow rediculously heavy loads with the little 2.5 liter. Off road the truck can be a mother in tight situations, in others the wheel base gives me traction when others have none. I wheel it hard and it breaks. Right now my drop arm/drag link is sleeved with a hi lift handle after a lost battle with some granite, and the rear Salisbury locker is acting up. Owned a lot of Rovers-love this thing.

That helps quite a bit. My jeeps wheel base is 116 in. so I'm wondering how it would be on the trail. I plan on building another jeep or an fj40 for most trail riding though. I plan on running a 35 in. tire on the defender so I'm sure it will do pretty good. If I go with a 300 tdi and decide to do something else later, are you guys saying that I can NOT legally do a td5?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal

Members online