Question on TreadWright

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Been running Treadwright for almost 4 years now and back when they were Hi Tech retreads with great results. I use 235/85/16 OTR Muds. As long as they are around I wont buy any other tire.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Holy resurrected thread, Batman!

But I can't pass up a chance to say how much I love my Treadwright 33" MT's.

10,000 miles and two trucks later they are still looking pretty much new. When I swapped to the steel wheels, the guys were amazed at how little weight was required to balance them.

Bonus: Goodyear will rotate them for free because they think I got them there!
DSCF2834.JPG

IMG_1315.JPG

rroadkilll

Needs a LIFE!
I'm also running Treadwright's...

I've had them on my Jeep for the last year or so and they are still preforming GREAT!!! I've had them aired down below 15psi with no problems...

I'm also running them on my wifes Xterra, that is a DD, and she loves them...

Here are some pics...

77_RoadKill%20Xterra.jpg

27_RoadKill%20Xterra.jpg

38_2582391620102326570AaJcHg_fs.jpg_1.jpg

41_2854388350102326570klKRKj_fs.jpg_1.jpg

Last edited:

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I hadn't even considered these tires....they are such an amazing deal compared to even General AT-2's! Thanks for bringing this thread back...I suppose I'll be getting some 285's in the very near future.

Spence

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Articles

http://treadwright.com/articles.php

With this thread revived it's timely to add a couple comments.

Tread Wright has recently improved their website. It's easier to navigate/search and just looks better overall.

I have written a few articles about their tires over the last several months, two of them can be found on their web site.

Along the top menu bar select: In The News, then click on Articles, scroll down and there are links to two of my articles published in the Power Stroke Registry.

James

Last edited:

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Just got a pair of the OTR Muds a few days ago. Since money is always in short supply I have started buying 2 tires spaced about 6 months apart so as not to take a big hit all at once. I'll be putting my new ones on the front and moving the 6 month tires to the rear.

I leave in a week for the desert for some much needed R & R. Cant wait.

Desert Dan

Explorer
I'm sure they inspect the tires before they re-tread them. I'd bit a bit concerned of sidewall life span on tires that weren't designed to be re-treaded.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Maybe because they are recycling used cases and they need to make the tire the same size as the original casing? With minor size differences of course.

Then there are the popularity and sales concerns. Even if they 'could' make customs sizes, how many could they sell in a 'strange' size to the masses looking for a familiar/popular size.

I don't expect to find 255/85R16 retreads for sale, just not enough market for them.

Why could not a company like this make a 275/85r16?

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Redline,

As long as the carcass size is the same (e.g 255=33") then the treadwidth is something they should be able to control. A 275/85r16 could be made from a 315/75r16s carcass.

I also contend that those coming over to buy these tires are gonna be your atuned tire customers and would understand variations in sizing and not necessarily be looking for the most popular size. I mean, with a due respect to TreadWright but I don't see them selling tires to the "masses," rather those looking for a deal on an MT. The masses will still head to Costco/Sams/Walmart/Discount/&c

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Valid points pskhaat.

I'm still not sure that most buyers don't want to buy a 'known' tire size from TreadWright, more educated 'gearhead' customers or not? I certainly agree that most if not all of their customers are looking at/buying TreadWrights because of the price.

My concern would be that using a 315 casing to make the proposed 275/85R16 would result in a tire with too much taper from the sidewall inward to the tread, possibly making the sidewall much more vulnerable and contributing to some loss in lateral stability, particularly when aired down. Similar to the Cooper S/T in 255/85R16.

Redline,

As long as the carcass size is the same (e.g 255=33") then the treadwidth is something they should be able to control. A 275/85r16 could be made from a 315/75r16s carcass.

I also contend that those coming over to buy these tires are gonna be your atuned tire customers and would understand variations in sizing and not necessarily be looking for the most popular size. I mean, with a due respect to TreadWright but I don't see them selling tires to the "masses," rather those looking for a deal on an MT. The masses will still head to Costco/Sams/Walmart/Discount/&c

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
I had reservations about using their retreads before I finaly took th eleap and bought a set about 5 years ago. I have been nothing but impressed with the quality of their product. One of their safety checks is a complete inspection of each casing used and they do not use tires past a certain age. Liability is a major issue and I am sure a company that has been around as long as Treadwright, formerly Hi-tech, takes quality control very serious. I searched high and low for a reported failure or even a poor review and found nothing. I have had sidewall punctures with them but I also had sidewall punctures with BFG and Michalin tires, so I dont atribute that to being a retread issue.

I'm sure they inspect the tires before they re-tread them. I'd bit a bit concerned of sidewall life span on tires that weren't designed to be re-treaded.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
To further extend this thread I'm in the market for tires and considering TreadWright for either a road set or offroad set. I'm not certain what I will do but the price is phenomenal.

A

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman