Question on TreadWright

fifthcircle

Adventurer
Any accident is scary, especially with kids in the car!!! Glad everyone was ok with yours.

That being said, I have been searching for 3 weeks and have found TWO reports of a treadwright tire failure. The only one being actual first hand is posted above...

I also looked up Treadwright on the BBB, and they have an A+ rating.
http://www.bbb.org/nebraska/busines...r/tread-wright-tires-in-edgemont-sd-300050194

It also appears that they are under new ownership as of 2005. I had seen a "naysayer" somewhere saying that they are no longer called "Hi-Tech" because they probably had lawsuits pending and changed their name for legal reasons. Doesn't seem to be the case. I could not find any lawsuits with my searches.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I have several thousand miles on mine including several off road and no complaints at all. I also can't find a situatino where there was any visible damage to the original carcass, just roughing so that the new tread would adhere. I also know they have a pretty strict measurement of what carcasses they can use and that it has to meet a pretty rigorous performance standard.
What I would do is contact TreadWright directly, my experience has been that they really do a hell of job with customer service and they may have some suggestions or something else along these lines. Both sets I have are D rated and one of which was on my Ford Super Duty (9000lbs) and they recently did a trip across the country.

I hope it helps and again sorry to see and read about that terrible accident, it is wonderful that everyone made it out unharmed. It is awful to be in that situation, period..

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
That 80 fought to the end to protect it's occupants, it breaks my heart to see toyotas die but when I see they gave it their all to keep occupants safe I feel better. While some folks say cars have no souls I concur............. As for the tires, likely a freak accident as another member suggested happens to all manufacturers big and small.

A

fifthcircle

Adventurer
That 80 fought to the end to protect it's occupants, it breaks my heart to see toyotas die but when I see they gave it their all to keep occupants safe I feel better. While some folks say cars have no souls I concur............. As for the tires, likely a freak accident as another member suggested happens to all manufacturers big and small.

A

Good point. When I was in Jr. High, a friend and I were riding in the back of my Dad's Suburban. We had just stopped for a bathroom break at an interstate rest area. Once back on the road for about 5min, we had a rear blowout. Dad just said "Hold On", and eased it over to the shoulder. The entire tire was shreaded. On the bright side, it was my first side of the road tire change :smiley_drive:

Buckshot62

Observer
Treadwright Tires

Look in the Domestic section of Expo,I had 3 Treadwright failures in one week. Pictures are included in that thread.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader

I'm looking at the last image and seeing lots and lots of frayed steel belts...

Makes me think metal fatigue... i.e. the steel belts have had their service life all used up already... and then it was turned into a "fresh" tire.

Or maybe the frayed belts are coincidental. I'm not a tire expert.

70-75 mi/h is a lot of speed to be carrying with these built rigs. I'm not judging, I do it too. Just sayin'... I think we'd be better off at 55-65 mi/h and/or taking secondary roads where practical and working overlanding schedules around it. Safer and save that extra 2-3+ mpg.

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
Photos if it helps...

I also have the Goodyear MTR lookalikes, in 245/75r16 and LOVE em!!! Theyve got about 15000 miles on them now and from what I can tell theyre wearing better than my old BFG MT's ever did!! Balanced out no problem, havent had any problems with chunking or them going out of balance.

I would DEFINATLEY buy another set of these!!!

any updates? how do these perform in reality off road?

CraigC

Hey this is my first time venturing out and actually saying something on here. I have owned 7 sets of TreadWright brand tires over the course of elevenish years and I refuse to buy anything else. I will take a picture of my current set and new set when they get here. They hold up well and perform very well in all that I have put them through. I haven't tried the nut shell compound because I'm cheap and they cost more, but the standard all terrain style I have on now and the "Puma" models I have had before are awesome in the snow (Utah). The very first set I had were the 31x10.5x15 mud terrains and the tire shop had a little trouble balancing them but all the others have been alright with the exception of maybe one tire in the set. They do seem to wear faster than others but I feel the "softer" compund grips better in crappy weather, with little to no difference in fuel econ and ride, but yeah you have to stay on top of them being rotated to squeeze every last mile out of them.

Anyway like I said the prices are great and the quality is top notch. Also call to place an order rather than the online, they are the most helpful and easy going people, they like knowing how their product is doing and where you use them.

navigator

Adventurer
I follow jeepforum.com, trailvoy.com, offroadtb.com and this site.
Outside of this site I have only read of 2 other issues with the TreadWright tires.
1 the guy had a small blemish that they said was fine.
The other guy had some small cracking at the joint.
They said it should be fine but sent him 5 new tires just in case and let him keep his other 5.
I plan on looking them up when I need my next set of tires.

ExploringNH

Explorer
I just installed a set of the Guard Dogs (MTR look-alikes) on my Defender. So far, I am very impressed. I have a couple weekends of wheeling with them but only 150 or so street miles. Offroad they have performed very well. On the street they seem to be doing fine, but I need more miles to really report on them. They balanced out with very little weight and they look great. I have about 15-20k miles of Mexican, Central, and South American road ahead of me, so we will see how they do.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Down with TreadWright!

I originally bought the Treadwrights that CarCar had his accident on. I have never heard of a new tire experiencing catastrophic separation at the tread / carcass level.

No racing body I am associated with (SCCA, HSR, SVRA, IMSA) will permit retreads. They do, of course, allow new tires...

As I stated in another thread - if you so sure about retreads not being a problem, show CarCar's story to your wife / kids / mother and then see how much they appreciate you putting them on those tires.

Was a big fan - never again. Small number dollars saved is not worth it. We (me, formally) will spend $600 for a CO2 setup but skimp on the only contact patch between our rigs and the land we go over? Wow

J vegas

I'm not trying to start an argument with you Schattenjager, but you must have forgotten about the late 90's Ford Explorer/Firestone tire debacle. There were a few hundred tires that suffered catastrophic tread separation failure at highway speeds leading to multiple rollovers and deaths. I had an Explorer with those Firestone tires and had one fail on me doing 70mph on the Interstate. A car full of Sailors coming home from a weekend festival at the last minute, half asleep and unaware of the impending doom.

Unnecessary drama aside, my tire blew out and we pulled over and changed it. It looked a lot like Car-Car's tire. Maybe we were lucky? Maybe I was a good driver that did not overcorrect? Does my experience even compare with Car-Car? Who knows?

Car-Car's pictures freaked me out when I saw them. I have kids now too and have seriously changed my views on driving since having them. But, like others have mentioned, that's the ONLY catastrophic failure story I've heard of from Treadwright. That's better than most other major tire companies. Last year, I had two Firestones, new with under 5k miles on them, fail at the bead on a Dodge Neon.

I can understand how you may feel about having sold Car-Car that vehicle with those tires, but we're talking about a sample size of 1 out of who knows how many tires they have sold over the years. Statistically, the odds are still favoring Treadwright.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
forgotten about the late 90's Ford Explorer/Firestone tire debacle.

As you surely are aware, both manufacturer of tire as well as vehicle could be considered complicit. Tire pressure was body stamped by Ford less than the Firestone's pressure range in order (argued) to improve ride quality.

There are heaps of factors to be considered in all of these cases both the Ford/Firestone and TreadWright.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Interesting first post. There are quite a few stories of retread failure. And plenty of evidence on the highway shoulders.

Remember the three types of lies: Lies / dam lies / & statistics.

I'm not trying to start an argument with you Schattenjager, but ... Statistically, the odds are still favoring Treadwright.

Mashurst

Adventurer
I'm going to weigh in here and say I did not like them or feel they were a good value for me. I got 4 for my XJ with the bits of stuff in the tread.
Strike one
The bfg side walls were old and cracked looking when they arrived.
Strike Two
A few months in I had one go flat on me on forest service road. It went so fast I thought I had lost a bead. It turned out to be a leak coming from the center of the tread. I assumed it was a puncture and plunged it on the vehicle. In hind sight I wonder it it just failed from a defect. On reinflating it an inch and a half section lifted and the tire would not hold air. I know that plugs are not the best way to fix a tire for exactly the reason that they can damage the tire but in the 20 or so times I have done it this is the only problem I have had. I swapped out in the spare to get home and TW was not interested in talking about it anymore once the plug came up. Ok fair enough I didn't get a professional tire guy to do his thing. I trail fixed it so I guess I'll take that one but I dont have to be happy about it.
I then bought two BFG muds and move the remaining third TW to the spare position. I had another one go flat that the shop couldn't/wouldn't fix that brought the spare back into service. I consider two non reparable flats on a set unusual and count that as a possible strike against them.
Stike Three
The tread life of the only tire to stay on the whole time was only about 22k where I get 40k+ out of a set of BFG mts so the math does not work out to a savings anyway.
I'm back on a set of BFG muds and It will be a long time before I try anything new again. They are wearing very well and no flats so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman