Rack options, LR3

zelatore

Explorer
I'm in the market for a rack.

No problem - I've found the one I want:
http://www.urbanoffroad.us/index.ph...ad-exodus-series-platform-full-roof-rack.html

Bummer that Urban has moved to SoCal - he used to be only a couple hours away from me.

But there's a bigger problem - he's backed up. I contacted him last week about this rack hoping to get my hands on it by the end of the month as I have a trip in July I'd like to use it for. But it looks like he won't be able to make that schedule.

Anybody have a suggestion for something similar?

roverandom

Adventurer
I use the Land Rover factory option roof rack, mostly because I found it cheap in the classifieds. It's not bad at all really. Not too much wind noise. Light, strong and adaptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zelatore

Explorer
I've given most of the common brands a look at one time or another. The thing that drew me to Urban Offroad is that another guy in our club runs an one of their rack and it looks much nicer (to me at least) than the more popular Baja Racks that many others have. The particular rack I wanted is a very low profile design that I like, but not quite the uber-modern look of the Front Runner style which doesn't quite do it for me.

I'll give Baja another look just in case I've missed something in their offerings. As for Prospeed, I'll have to research them as I'm unfamiliar with the brand.

Finlayforprez

Observer
Hey Don,

The Prospeed rack is kind of nice, but it is out of the UK and not sure they can meet your timeline. It appears to be a well-made rack, but I have never seen it in person, and I am not really that into the photos. I contacted them once about their underbody protection and the timeline was extremely long. Bummer that Derek can't get you a rack before you need it, that's too bad. I actually like the look of the Baja rack a lot, but the Urban definitely is made a lot more rugged. As for the Voyager rack, I think I've told you I was not happy with it on my 2011. I like the look, but it had a lot of rusting and powder coat issues. It definitely was not nearly as strong as my Urban Offroad rack.

Maybe you could do something temporary until Derek can make a rack? I am curious to see what you think of Prospeed.

Looking forward to seeing what you decide and when your ARB comes in!

-David

Jwestpro

Explorer
The thing that drew me to Urban Offroad is that another guy in our club runs an one of their rack and it looks much nicer (to me at least) than the more popular Baja Racks that many others have. The particular rack I wanted is a very low profile design that I like, but not quite the uber-modern look of the Front Runner style which doesn't quite do it for me.

I'll say up front that I find the shape and layout is pretty good looking, and also very useful considering it's tubular. Too many tubular designs have the useless raised side rail.

However, if it's not stainless steel, aluminum, or at least galvanized, I wouldn't take it if you gave me one. Well, I would, and then sell it immediately. These places often come out with some cool new doo-dad but then they don't take care of the details very well like superior welding, materials, or proper prep for powder-coating. They all say that they do, but in the end, you give them your $$$ only to have rust dripping on your roof in 3-5 years.

So be honest, what's more important, cool looks or better materials/execution? I really wish more of these small shops with different ideas would get serious.

Finlayforprez

Observer
I'll say up front that I find the shape and layout is pretty good looking, and also very useful considering it's tubular. Too many tubular designs have the useless raised side rail.

However, if it's not stainless steel, aluminum, or at least galvanized, I wouldn't take it if you gave me one. Well, I would, and then sell it immediately. These places often come out with some cool new doo-dad but then they don't take care of the details very well like superior welding, materials, or proper prep for powder-coating. They all say that they do, but in the end, you give them your $$$ only to have rust dripping on your roof in 3-5 years.

So be honest, what's more important, cool looks or better materials/execution? I really wish more of these small shops with different ideas would get serious.

I agree! I have an Urban Offroad rack and really like it with no issues so far; however, it's only been a year. Do you have any suggestions for a brand you would really recommend? it sounds like it's almost best to have it custom fabricated at a very reputable shop. I wish my brother was closer, as he is amazing at this stuff - he's in MA and I am in CA.

Colin Hughes

Explorer
I really like the Urban Offroad rack too and while my heart says go for it, my head says stick with the Thule rack I bought. I guess it depends on what you want to carry. I've found a way to mount my solar panel to the factory roof rails so I only need to add a rack when I want to haul something, like my canoe. The Thule goes on and off quickly and avoids the additional wind drag and loss of mpg's when I don't need to carry anything.It maybe doesn't have the same "rugged" look some want but it does the job.

jerdog53

Explorer
I have ordered the Urban Offroad EXODUS SERIES PLATFORM FULL ROOF RACK as I am not in a rush and will wait the 2 months quoted to me for delivery. Love the Prospeed unit but shipping makes it cost prohibitive!

Finlayforprez

Observer
I have ordered the Urban Offroad EXODUS SERIES PLATFORM FULL ROOF RACK as I am not in a rush and will wait the 2 months quoted to me for delivery. Love the Prospeed unit but shipping makes it cost prohibitive!

You will love it, Derek does an incredible job. I actually drove out to his shop when it was in Oakhurst, CA and he installed my rack last year.

jerdog53

Explorer
As a general question to the group I am looking to carry two 5 gallon jerry cans on the roof of an OEM rack and I was wondering which of the aftermarket manufacturers makes something compatible, also what about a high lift jack?

iowalr4

Adventurer
Too many tubular designs have the useless raised side rail.

However, if it's not stainless steel, aluminum, or at least galvanized, I wouldn't take it if you gave me one. ...

I have the voyager low profile full rack (I don't like the bump in the top rail, i like it all one level, flat). It does have a side rail, but its very low and is useful for tie downs and keeping boxes up against the rail.

I did have rust issues with my voyager sliders and rear ladder, but they took them back, stripped them down and re-zinc coated them and re powder coated them free of charge. They are a small shop from what I understand, so this was pretty impressive. They said they did like 4x the zinc and 3x the powder coat this time. The Iowa roads last (hellish) winter, with all the salt, was enough to make them rust like crazy. So, they are zinc coated and such, but I have heard others complain about powder coat quality.

The rack has not shown any sign of rust yet, but its out of the salt to some degree. Its actually used, so its at least 3 years old now I think. I am also pretty hard on the rack. I use it for lots of things and it doesn't ding up easily. its very solid. You can put 250 lb person on the thing and it doesn't sag much. im not sure I would want a rack to be built any more solid, because it would weigh too much.

I have the farmtek chicken coop flooring and heavy duty zip ties on in the picture. That is my general purpose flooring for when im hauling random things up there or putting camp chairs up there to watch events, or whatever.

IMG_20140627_140852_zps5027c02b.jpg

IMG_20140627_140836_zpsd9ca2e68.jpg

DSC_5524_zpsea1290b5.jpg

IMG_20131125_083955_zps6314ed7d.jpg

Subdued

Have you received your roof rack, any additional info to share on overall quality?

zelatore

Explorer
Have you received your roof rack, any additional info to share on overall quality?

I know this wasn't directed at me but I recently received and installed the same rack. Fit and finish are fine. I do wish the mounting slides for the roof channels had been painted or powder coated. They were bare steel, so they got a quick shot of paint prior to installation. The rack seems plenty strong and doesn't flex much when I walk on it. It's also quite light weight though I didn't actually weigh it.

I didn't order the wind deflector and found out it is extremely noisy above 50 mph. Sounds like a jet on afterburner on the interstate. I jury rigged a cut-up plastic sign to he front to quiet it down on my first trip (worked very well but looked very ghetto). Then promptly ordered the deflector from Urban Offroad as soon as I got home. Put it on last weekend only to find it replaced the jet engine noise with turbulence noise. My home brew deflector was much quieter.

Currently I have a piece of pipe insulation stuck in the gap between the deflector and the roof and it's again quiet. I'm trying to decide if I'm just going to leave it there or if I want to have a local plastic shop make me a custom piece that will fit down close to he roof. It would need to be about 2.5" longer than the UOR provided piece.

jerdog53

Explorer

No I found an OEM rack on CL for a steal so I went that route. 3 months later I get an email from Urban asking if I was still interested.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven