Rack options, LR3

jerdog53

Explorer
He had sent me an email when I tried to order the rack telling me that he was behind big time in production at least 3 months. I chose to wait not responding as I like the looks of the rack. Later some 6 weeks I found a used OEM rack on CL for $750 locally with a ladder so I snagged it up quick! A month or so later I go an email informing me he was ready to start production on my rack and was I still interested. I declined stating I had found a good OEM rack. No fault on Urban that I can see other than not taking my money when I was wanting to give it up effectively locking me into the deal.

DiscoNels

Adventurer
As a general question to the group I am looking to carry two 5 gallon jerry cans on the roof of an OEM rack and I was wondering which of the aftermarket manufacturers makes something compatible, also what about a high lift jack?

Here's what I did with my Land Rover Expedition Rack to mount a 60" Hi-Lift, Shovel, 2 x 5 Gallon jerry cans, 32" spare tire, and my latest addition, the TRED traction boards.

The jerry can holder is from Front Runner, just needed to drill two new holes in its base to mount it.
The High Lift uses their tube mounts and lucky for me the center holes in the jack align perfectly with the center channel of the cross beams on the rack.
To mount the shovel I use Quick Fist clamps, works perfectly to hold my $7 shovel from Home Depot.
The tire has a 1/2" T-bolt through the middle. I also have a 1" wide x 1/8" thick aluminum strap running perpendicular under the tire across 3 beams because the front of the tire is kinda hanging in space and I didn't want it bouncing too much. The strap ensures everything stays nice and tight.

photo 2.jpg photo 4.jpg

jerdog53

Explorer
Here's what I did with my Land Rover Expedition Rack to mount a 60" Hi-Lift, Shovel, 2 x 5 Gallon jerry cans, 32" spare tire, and my latest addition, the TRED traction boards.

The jerry can holder is from Front Runner, just needed to drill two new holes in its base to mount it.
The High Lift uses their tube mounts and lucky for me the center holes in the jack align perfectly with the center channel of the cross beams on the rack.
To mount the shovel I use Quick Fist clamps, works perfectly to hold my $7 shovel from Home Depot.
The tire has a 1/2" T-bolt through the middle. I also have a 1" wide x 1/8" thick aluminum strap running perpendicular under the tire across 3 beams because the front of the tire is kinda hanging in space and I didn't want it bouncing too much. The strap ensures everything stays nice and tight.

View attachment 245118 View attachment 245119

Thanks for that!!

A.J.M

Explorer

View attachment 245118 View attachment 245119

That's a VERY good solution for the OEM rack.
Copied the pictures and added to the to do list.

How do you find getting the spare off the rack, or have you never had to move it?

DiscoNels

Adventurer
That's a VERY good solution for the OEM rack.
Copied the pictures and added to the to do list.

How do you find getting the spare off the rack, or have you never had to move it?

Funny you should ask about getting it off the wrack as I just slashed a side wall last month and needed to pull it down while on the trail. I'm not gonna lie, the wheel is heavy, but I just slide it half way off the wrack balanced on the edge and then step down to the ground and pull it off and drop to the ground.

Getting the muddy flat tire put back on top of the wrack I needed some help so as not to get filthy dirty. I actually do this a couple times a year as I pull the wrack completely off for winter (so I can fit in the garage) and put back on in the spring. I've got it down to a science and do it all by myself with no assistance.

DiscoCO

Observer
Is anyone running the Front Runner Slimline rack on an LR3/LR4 with the factory LR ladder? I'm wondering about clearance as the factory ladder rises above the roof line and subsequently moves towards the front of the car when the rear hatch is opened. Would this interfere with the Front Runner rack? Looking at the Front Runner ladder it appears to be more flat on top and would appear to offer more clearance when the rear hatch is open.

I currently have the factory ladder and I'm trying to figure out what rack would work best. The Front Runner appears to be lightweight and quite modular with many accessories. Any pro's/con's besides the obvious that it's a different look from the factory or tubular designs (baja, urban, etc.)

Thanks!

GORM

Adventurer
Front Runner Rack

Check out their website; I asked a question recently about interference with GPS/Sat Radio. They said it is neither interacts with it physically or the operation of those antennas. They did send me a response that it will not work with the factory ladder. Check out my question and answer here. If you have others they will answer in less than a week.

http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...d-rover-discovery-lr3-lr4-2.html#.VHnZS2K9KSM

I think this is the best looking rack for the vehicle, good low profile. The sale price is having me wonder if I should purchase now!

SDLR3

Observer
I have the FR Slimline II rack with the FR ladder. The rack just makes contact with the antenna but I have not noticed any reception issues. It is a beefy rack and I am glad I got rid of the LR expedition rack in favor of this.

Bryan_FRO

Supporting Sponsor
Is anyone running the Front Runner Slimline rack on an LR3/LR4 with the factory LR ladder? I'm wondering about clearance as the factory ladder rises above the roof line and subsequently moves towards the front of the car when the rear hatch is opened. Would this interfere with the Front Runner rack? Looking at the Front Runner ladder it appears to be more flat on top and would appear to offer more clearance when the rear hatch is open.

I currently have the factory ladder and I'm trying to figure out what rack would work best. The Front Runner appears to be lightweight and quite modular with many accessories. Any pro's/con's besides the obvious that it's a different look from the factory or tubular designs (baja, urban, etc.)

Thanks!

The factory Ladder will interfere with our Front Runner Slimline Rack.
We do offer a ladder that is almost identical to the factory ladder (LALD004) but will not interfere with the rack when the rear hatch is open.

Check out the link below
http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/front-runner-vehicle-ladder-a-clip-on-land-rover-discovery-3-4.html#.VH9DKKTF8pA

Contact us at Front Runner anytime if you have any more questions.

Cheers,
Bryan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk