Radio Help

AdidasCJ

Observer
So after reading and reading some more on the radios and different uses... I need some help with what i think i have figured out.... Ive only ever used CB.

Im looking at a radio to talk back and fourth with those that I go wheeling with. And short of going HAM, Im looking at the Baofeng duel band with an exterior mounted antenna. Now i know the GMRS you pay for the license fee (65 from what i was reading), and none needed for the MURS.

Here is what I was looking at... And insight would be helpful...

Radio
http://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R...TF8&qid=1450649513&sr=1-8&keywords=gmrs+radio

Antenna:
http://www.amazon.com/Original-Hypario-Antenna-baofeng-Sma-Female/dp/B00DTQ4A6M

Also can i add a remote mic to the unit so i could put the radio with the antenna somewhere and just use the remote mic?

Sorry but I know not alot about the use of the MURS/GMRS radios....

Suggestions?

Last edited:

forty2

Adventurer
That is a ham radio and you'll need a license to transmit legally with it. It's not a very good unit but for short range convoy comms without breaking the bank it's fine.

AdidasCJ

Observer
That is a ham radio and you'll need a license to transmit legally with it. It's not a very good unit but for short range convoy comms without breaking the bank it's fine.

OPPS i changed to the right link of the radio i was checking out.

forty2

Adventurer
Same deal, while the radio encompasses the GMRS/FRS bands it's still a ham radio. I don't know the laws around GMRS gear other than licensing and the 5 watt limit, the radio may or may not be legal to use for that purpose. I would highly recommend looking into a ham tech license rather than fiddling around with GMRS. The test is pretty easy, costs ~$10 or so, and is good for 10 years. Or just stick to FRS, for LoS comms it'll work fine.

4x4junkie

Explorer
That Baofeng will work on MURS, GMRS, etc., however as forty2 said, it technically is not legal to use there because the unit isn't "type-accepted" for that use. Though I'm not sure anyone would be the wiser unless the unit was being misused somehow (transmitting on frequencies one shouldn't be transmitting on, for example). With programming software such as Chirp that has predefined lists with all the proper channels and modulation modes for MURS/GMRS, etc., I don't think avoiding such accidental misuse would be difficult. Select the list you want and then download it to the radio and the radio will work only on those channels (in Channel or Memory Mode of course).

The Uniden PRO-520XL is one of the best 27MHz CB units you can buy for $100 or under (all the better that it's less than $50 even).

If you do get a Baofeng, get the GT-3 Mark II or GT-3TP Mark III, the receiver on it is many times better than that of the UV5R (and it comes with a better antenna for handheld-use too). Yes, you can put a hand mic on it, though the Baofeng ones sound like crap (unless you have good ability to tinker with/modify things, I'd say look for a different mic that's designed to fit a Kenwood HT, as they appear to use the same contact config as the Baofeng).

Also, this antenna (that other one looks to me like a piece of junk):
http://www.amazon.com/Tram-1185-Amateur-Dual-Band-Antenna/dp/B0045EQUBK

offero

Desert rat
I'll second the other posters' warnings about using a modded/non-type-approved radio.

However, an option for GMRS/FRS/MURS in a vehicle is the Jetstream JT270M. It will do 10 watts, which could come in handy, but just be sure to back down the power when you program your channels in.

The receiver is really sensitive, but is okay out in the boonies.

Thoreau

Same deal, while the radio encompasses the GMRS/FRS bands it's still a ham radio. I don't know the laws around GMRS gear other than licensing and the 5 watt limit, the radio may or may not be legal to use for that purpose. I would highly recommend looking into a ham tech license rather than fiddling around with GMRS. The test is pretty easy, costs ~$10 or so, and is good for 10 years. Or just stick to FRS, for LoS comms it'll work fine.

Actually, most of those radios are part 95 certified which makes them legal for land mobile bands (with appropriate licenses.) There's really no such thing as a 'ham radio' in the sense of it being strictly for ham. Literally any radio can legally be used in ham bands if it supports the frequencies.

Also GMRS is 50 watts, not 5. Not sure if there are any other hardware requirements in GMRS land, so long as one is licensed.

4x4junkie

Explorer
Land mobile (business) bands fall under FCC part 90. Part 95 covers the citizen's bands (27MHz, MURS, FRS, GMRS, etc.).
I think the Baofengs might be in a legal gray area for part 90 since the radio can still be put into a field-programmable mode by the user (at least I don't think the mode can be locked out entirely, but I'm not sure with each different model though).

JimBiram

Adventurer
If you want to go GMRS, check out the Wouxun radio sold be Powerwerx. It's essentially their same radio, but it's built to comply with Part 95a of the FCC regs. It will allow an external antenna, but you need a GMRS license. Just get your ham license and then you can use the Baofeng radios legally on the ham bands.

Every Day is a Good Day Surfing...Some are just Better Than Others

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad