Radio insurance?

Gutarplaya39

Hey all. Just curious if anyone here has insurance for radios and electronic items in their vehicle. If so, how much extra does it usually cost? I'm actually still on my parents insurance until next year when it gets to the reasonable price. Just trying to get an idea of how much it would be to have that coverage. Probably a couple grand worth of equipment.

Thanks!

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
It varies by locality. You want to have some fun? Pick up the phone and make some phone calls and get some quotes. I pay extra to insure my truck shell and roof rack. And there is an opinion to replace items at full replacement cost and pay even more money.

summerprophet

Adventurer
My House insurance covers additional components in my vehicle. House (or renters) insurance covers your posessions, and in some cases, will cover possesions in your guests vehicles if they are parked in your driveway.

I actually called my provider to inquire about adding the $8000 worth of climbing gear and $7000 worth of mountain bikes I have. Their response was to just take photos, no need for additional coverage.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
As mentioned, it varies with location as well as provider. I used to have vehicle insurance through State Farm in CA and I couldn't even pay them more to cover "accessories", they were only willing to cover the bone stock vehicle. Years later with Progressive in AZ I don't even have to mention upgrades, modifications, or even cargo—it's automatically covered (trailers too). I recently went through appraisal on a totaled truck and anything I didn't want to remove was added to the check at full new-item replacement value (including the 2-meter antenna that sheared off).

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The ARRL does offer specific insurance for your radios, antennas and towers.

I have additional coverage on my camper shell for replacement cost in the event it's totaled but not specific coverage for radios and cargo. It has been mentioned that homeowner's policy covers this stuff but it is worth asking your agent and be specific because it's not unusual to have to up the coverage beyond the included policy limits.

This is often the case with people who have high end bikes, lots of jewelry, rare firearms, etc., so it's not going to confuse your agent. Policies are written to assume average costs and typical ownership, so an enthusiast will lie on the upper end or beyond pretty easily. It usually adds a few dollars a year to the price of the homeowner's insurance.

Last edited:

gary in ohio

Explorer
The ARRL offers insurance that is pretty good price wise and specific to ham radio gear and equipment. The adjustors are much more radio savy than most insurance companies and will give you as much hassle..

Do note that many auto insurance plans will not cover ham radio's in cars... They are considered aftermarket and require a seperate policy. Also few will cover an HT in a car.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I have 'agreed value' insurance for some of my vehicles, because of all the modifications/enhancements - supported by a list of all the add-ons. I had an episode where a truck was broken into and the very expensive aftermarket stereo was removed - the insurance company refused to pay, until we looked at the policy and saw that it was included on my list.

Gutarplaya39

Sweet thanks for all the info guys! Hadn't even thought of the ARRL insurance for mobile gear. Cost is definitely a factor for me! Maybe my security mods will help with whatever insurance I can find.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Do note that many auto insurance plans will not cover ham radio's in cars... They are considered aftermarket and require a seperate policy. Also few will cover an HT in a car.
Yup, it's important to ask. We are covered for stuff in the car just like it was at home under the homeowner's policy. So as long as our homeowner's policy is sufficient we are covered if it's stolen or broken in an accident. I asked specifically because it's not just radios but bikes, skis, lots of things that would be at risk. It is true that the car policy does not cover most things added aftermarket unless you get an additional rider, though this is not just ham radios but stereos, modifications, etc. In an accident all those expensive add-ons like winches and Engels are also not covered technically unless you have agreed value coverage or a really nice (or naive) adjuster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3