Ram 1500 to get EcoDiesel V6!

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Unfortunately,Dodge didn't go with the Cummins V-6 as was planned before the recession hit.
Should be a big seller though.
Reportedly,Nissan is going to offer the Cummins unit in another year in their redesigned Titan.

MotoDave

Explorer
I think it will really depend on where it is priced. If they limit the engine to being available only in the premium trim levels like they do with the Grand Cherokee diesels, it will simply price it out of range for most people. Ideally the engine option would end up similar or a bit higher than the 5.7 hemi engine, and available on all trim levels.

I will definitely be test driving one.

shellb

Adventurer
I think it will really depend on where it is priced. If they limit the engine to being available only in the premium trim levels like they do with the Grand Cherokee diesels, it will simply price it out of range for most people. Ideally the engine option would end up similar or a bit higher than the 5.7 hemi engine, and available on all trim levels.

I will definitely be test driving one.

Agree with all of this. Give me a tradesman and a diesel!

duckhunter71

Adventurer
Hopefully they'll see the need of the diesel in the lower trim levels for people who will use them for work. Let's cross our fingers!

if i were in the new market i would storngly consider the diesel, especially with a good warranty but i would only be looking at base model 4x4s so hopefully they'll over it in that trim. would be nice to see how much they go for in a couple years, be fun to pick one up and pull all the emmisions crap off, probably get another 50-80 hp.

I understand why mopar put the diesel in upper trims only but it seems like a bad move considering they would probably sell a lot more of them if they were offered in every trim.

i'd like to see the new sierra with the vm diesel as gm owns the other 50% of vm motor and the development/ cost has already been covered with chrysler bringing it to the us in there products

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
if i were in the new market i would storngly consider the diesel, especially with a good warranty but i would only be looking at base model 4x4s so hopefully they'll over it in that trim. would be nice to see how much they go for in a couple years, be fun to pick one up and pull all the emmisions crap off, probably get another 50-80 hp.

I understand why mopar put the diesel in upper trims only but it seems like a bad move considering they would probably sell a lot more of them if they were offered in every trim.

i'd like to see the new sierra with the vm diesel as gm owns the other 50% of vm motor and the development/ cost has already been covered with chrysler bringing it to the us in there products
My friend owns an ST regcab 2007 2500 4wd CTD w/rollup windows,manual locks, G-56,rubber floor. Definitely not "upper trim".

I mean with the 1500 diesel, i know you can get the cummins in any heavy duty ram but who knows how they will market the diesel 1500. Im sure they will have it in everything from the stripped out ones to fully loaded models, but you never know.

noco-k5

Just bought a 2013 Ram 1500. I kind of wish I had held out now. Oh well I'll let them get the bugs worked out and look at one in a few years.

duckhunter71

Adventurer
Dodge vehicle

Italian diesel

Could it get any worse?

I can always get worse. Those diesels are used all over the world, so I really don't think I'd worry too much about them. I checked out the new Rams last week and they've definitely come A LONG WAY.

Also, even if Ram isn't your cup of tea, if this is successful we should see similar powertrains made available in other brands. Competition is a great thing when you are the consumer!

SouthPawXJ

Observer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater