Ram 1500 to get EcoDiesel V6!

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I mean with the 1500 diesel, i know you can get the cummins in any heavy duty ram but who knows how they will market the diesel 1500. Im sure they will have it in everything from the stripped out ones to fully loaded models, but you never know.
Gotcha. If anybody gets a 1500 diesel worktruck,it'll be Dave Smith. Hopefully,Dodge will see the logic. DSM is where I special ordered mine and where my friend picked up his '07 5.9 worktruck. They had a zillion of them,manuals most of them.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Sure. 6.0-6.4 F-250
Chevy with the low slung frame and IFS

Yeah.

-and the GM DEF tank that has 1.25 inches of ground clearance, which is not helped by the hollow fake front shock absorbers.
-the Dodge Cummins "See Dealer NOW!" alarm.
-the paper mache' EGR on the Ford 6.0
-the Dodge Cummins grunt and not move fault.
-Mistubishi USA's "screw the consumer" warranty service.
-the Ford 6.4L fuel system that grenades at the sight of one drop of water.

It's really, really sad when Italy can make a decent diesel but the USA can't. It ain't F1 or rocket science. At this rate, the Russian engines might actually start to look good.

d67u57

Adventurer
why do we get raped price wise on diesels up here....

good news though. with a cheap chip that bugger should be a monster for its size.

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
why do we get raped price wise on diesels up here....

For the same reason diesel fuel is more expensive than gasoline. Because in this country we LEGISLATE against diesels! The taxes on diesel in this country are higher than on gasoline. It costs less to get more diesel from a barrel of oil than gas. I think the USA is the only country where diesel cost more than gas. It's ignorant and IMHO criminal.

d67u57

Adventurer
i hear you.

when i was in europe a few years ago,diesel as powertrain was very very common,and uber available price/selection wise

and cheaper than gas.

chrysler,ford,gm..bringing smaller diesels for commercial vehicles is a good step in the right direction....

but not quite enough.

they need to bring over platforms and or their associated diesel power trains..

look at the new buick..its a re badged european car,quite nice at that too.

It will be an expensive addition since I figure they need to make their money off the engine in a few thousand units instead of a few hundred thousand units. The Liberty was offered with the CRD built by VM for 2006 and 2007 but not enough were sold and so they quit offering them in the US....but not the rest of the world! There are too many idiots out there giving diesels a blind bad name to all the "voting Prius owners" that have nothing but time to make it more and more difficult for the diesels to realize widespread acceptance.

That and when you can afford a $60,000 new diesel truck you sure as heck can afford 30% higher fuel costs than the gasoline.

I think this engine is a correct step forward but when it faces the american public reality will sink in and they just won't sell.....or the government will have to give a huge tax credit to the buyers to offset the huge cost of the option. A few years for the other manufactures to add a diesel to their mid sized trucks and the cost will come down some but never to the cost of gasoline. I have faith in the VM engines though, they do very well in the CRD liberty and they do well all over the rest of this planet.

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
...There are too many idiots out there giving diesels a blind bad name to all the "voting Prius owners" that have nothing but time to make it more and more difficult for the diesels to realize widespread acceptance.

I think this engine is a correct step forward but when it faces the american public reality will sink in and they just won't sell.....or the government will have to give a huge tax credit to the buyers to offset the huge cost of the option.

All we have to do is insist that the huge tax credits given to hybrids and electric cars are stopped and when the choice is a $30,000 Prius or a $30,000 Jetta that gets BETTER real world mileage we'll see what wins.

Ram1500 EcoDiesel due this fall

It's official, the Ram 1500 will be getting the VM Motori 3.0L EcoDiesel. It should make 250hp and 440ft lbs of torque while returning 30mpg on the freeway. It will be mated to the ZF-8HP 8 speed transmission. It should go on sale this fall as a 2014 model. I am unsure if I am going to get one but it is definitely an option for replacing my aging 2005 Duramax. I think this would make a great expo vehicle. Outfit it with some Ram boxes, drawer system, bakkie rack, roof top tent over the bed and some nice offroad tires and I think you have a winner.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/02/its-official-ram-1500-to-get-v6-ecodiesel/comments/page/1/

The wife gave me the green light to get a 2012 Ram 3500 because they are $15K off MSRP, but I maybe rethinking this plan. I also found out the new 2013 Ram 3500 has a new interior, bigger axles, new front end with crossover steering and radius arms. I don't know if I should wait or take the $15K discount. The 2013 HD also gets the new Aisin 6 speed auto and 850ft lbs of torque and the manual trans (which I really want) is getting a big boost in torque to 660 ft lbs. Dodge is not making it easy on me. The are offering too many choices.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
Yea I heard about the 1500 Ram coming out with that diesel. My fiance wants to get one of the new jeep grand cherokees with the diesel next year that has a similar if not the same engine. Anyone know anything about VM motori and their engines? ive never really read of seen much about them.

Yea I heard about the 1500 Ram coming out with that diesel. My fiance wants to get one of the new jeep grand cherokees with the diesel next year that has a similar if not the same engine. Anyone know anything about VM motori and their engines? ive never really read of seen much about them.

I had a VM Motori diesel in my 2005 Jeep Liberty. Most Jeep diesels around the world are sold with VM Motori diesels. Currently VM Motori is owned by Rodger Penski and Fiat. The Grand Cherokee will be getting the same 3.0 EcoDiesel and the Ram 1500. Both will be backed by the 8 speed ZF automatic transmission. This engine and transmission combination has been available in Grand Cherokees over seas since 2011. It seems to be a great drivetrain.

The little 2.8L 4 cylinder VM Motori offered in the 2005-06 Liberty was a decent engine. The problems I had with my Liberty were everything but the engine. The torque converter was too soft which resulted in huge losses in power. You would step on the pedal, the engine would rev, but the vehicle was slow to respond. I don't mind a little turbo lag, but the torque converter killed that engine and it's performance.

tyler93

Observer
I am in the very interested category for this new powertrain. Living in a state that does not do emissions testing, I can do the appropriate deletes and get 30+ mpg out of a 4wd 4dr dodge. That 8 speed transmission will do a lot for economy too. I am hopeful in seeing some real world #'s and experiences. After reading about it for too many years in the diesel power mag, finally it looks like the 1/2 ton diesel is a reality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach