Ram 1500 to get EcoDiesel V6!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
That dial "shifter" is just plain sad! No way to select any gears manually? I like to be able to set an auto in 1st for low speed stuff, or going down steep inclines. Not having the ability to do that will be a problem I think.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
That dial "shifter" is just plain sad! No way to select any gears manually? I like to be able to set an auto in 1st for low speed stuff, or going down steep inclines. Not having the ability to do that will be a problem I think.

Yeah, you can still select/hold gears manually by more silly buttons on the steering wheel. Still not a fan of this shifter setup. You can’t go wrong with a mechanical shifter with a cable straight to the transmission selector shaft.

gauges-gear-change.jpg

shifter.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass

Always seems like the manufactures no matter the brand miss the mark on a few things, or they do it hit perfect, yet not available in the American market.

Think guys like Metcaf and RMP&O with the "build your own" idea are right. While there are some new vehicles I like, just nothing out there I want to drop my money
on.

And really, just need something to haul my crap around, just about any used $10K- truck could that... ;)

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I read it in a different thread this morning, but I will agree here: if I had the money to buy a NEW truck, I would likely just have an older truck rebuilt front to back.

Clutch

<---Pass
I read it in a different thread this morning, but I will agree here: if I had the money to buy a NEW truck, I would likely just have an older truck rebuilt front to back.

yep, if you're going to spend the money, might as well build exactly what you want. I know I like to look and go round and round in my head and on the forums, about
a new truck. i am a car/truck nut...and boy I sure do like to look...I would be dangerous if I was a billionaire. ;)

what I have suits me for about 98% of the stuff I need it to do. $30-40K will go a looong way on an existing vehicle than buying a brand new one.

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I spoke with one of our members today (who shall remain nameless as he is a 25 year Dodge service manager and gets 9 grillion Pms) about the new Dodge 1500 diesel. He confirms tranny is "drive" only. No ability to select a forward gear. We both agreed it was total crap. (We both drive 2nd gens).

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I spoke with one of our members today (who shall remain nameless as he is a 25 year Dodge service manager and gets 9 grillion Pms) about the new Dodge 1500 diesel. He confirms tranny is "drive" only. No ability to select a forward gear. We both agreed it was total crap. (We both drive 2nd gens).

I wish Mr. Nameless Service Manager would come out of hiding and tell us why would that be? The ZF 8 Speed (now branded as a TorqueFlight 8) transmission behind V6 diesel and gas engines are the same transmission which is built in Kokomo, IN though a partnership between Chrysler and ZF. That transmission does have the ability to manually select gears via steering wheel mounted buttons as mentioned a few posts above. I have suspicion Mr. Nameless Service Manager is wrong or I am misunderstanding your post.

Excerpt from Allpar:

Drivers can manually move gears using Gear- and Gear+ buttons; the system reacts quickly and, much of the time, the only indications it worked are small changes on the tachometer and the gear number changing in the gauge cluster.

And why would a member remain nameless and not just join in and state facts if he is resourceful with info? :coffeedrink:

lstzephyr

wanderer
For me, it isn't interesting unless it has a manual transmission and a shortbed option. I was really excited about this new engine option but if I am buying a complicated expensive regular cab longbed diesel truck for 30k then I will just buy an older truck or a late model 3/4t. I prefer regular cabs and I'm not bothered by a stiff ride of a 3/4t so this doesn't offer me anything new. I'm sure other people differ.

I would love to buy a new diesel powered manual transmission hilux or any other equivalent. A 1/2ton domestic regular cab shortbed diesel with a stick would serve me just as well. I'll probably end up building one because I doubt the manufacturers have a big enough demand for the vehicle that would serve my purposes and fulfill my desires the best.

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Larry... He is nameless because I didn't feel like directly quoting him. I also may have mis-spoke with him. I was saying how the dial system does not look spectacular. If you can select 1-8 via steering wheel controls, and not just "drive", (I guess I missed that post), that is far better. I am still not a fan of unnessecary electronics. Technology is good, but to a point.

Yup, just followed your link. Must remember to read all info... There it is... The gear up/gear down buttons. Mr Service must have thought I was just talking about the dial shifter. Or I don't hear so well. Maybe my wife is right?

Last edited:

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I like this! I would buy one of these 1500's with the quad cab in a second. I also like that it is going to be offered on all trim levels (or most) according to the website.

Good move Chrysler/Fiat.

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
For me, it isn't interesting unless it has a manual transmission...

I know, I know. To each his own right?

I like driving a stick as much as the next guy. But when I got my LBZ and it had the "Work Truck" trim stock little 245/70R16's on it I couldn't even tap the "+" button fast enough to stay ahead of that beast pulling an on ramp! That Allison in "Trailer/Haul" mode stays right in the power band an shifts like a dream. Say what you will but some huge percentage of drivers just won't put up with a stick (that's why Hummers had slush boxes. No kids coming in the army could drive sticks!).

I think if all three top american automakers can get 3 liter diesels in half ton trucks they will make a fortune!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater