Ram 2500 XL for overland / expedition trips

Ravenmad

Observer
I am off to do some running around today (California Audio in Salt Lake city), The owner is very nice and a friend of a friend per say. I am ordering a whole new stereo for the truck (gotta have my tunes) and I will come back out to have it installed.

Alpine re-style , all new Alpine speakers, a custom sub box to go under the rear seat with 2 subs, 2 amps and a set of cameras for the truck.

Last edited:

silvrzuki77

explorer
Are you leaving the rims tan? I wish they offered a factory tan color like what’s available for the wranglers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttengineer

Adventurer
So it looks like DPP will possibly be offering some "upgrades" to the AEV lift here shortly. No word on what that is, but rumors say it's for ride improvement (read springs and shocks).

Ravenmad

Observer
So it looks like DPP will possibly be offering some "upgrades" to the AEV lift here shortly. No word on what that is, but rumors say it's for ride improvement (read springs and shocks).

It would be completely inappropriate for me to say exactly what you can expect from DPP as far as upgrades to the AEV kit, however, I have it on good authority you are correct... You should see the stuff in review VERY soon.

Ravenmad

Observer
Are you leaving the rims tan? I wish they offered a factory tan color like what’s available for the wranglers.

Yup, leaving the wheels "desert Sand". Its a common powder coat color so we will be having the bumpers powder coated to match and the graphics / wrap will incorporate a color match as well as flat black and some orange.

Copperhead14

Observer
That looks great. I like the tan and white theme. The stance is great. I have thought about doing those fenders and tires on my mega cab.

Explorerinil

Observer
Looks like your truck is coming along well! You got a ton of room for those tires, can u post a pic of a tire at full turn? I’m thinking of getting a set of high mark flares and some 39 inch iroks

Ravenmad

Observer
The truck is still at Northridge, the mechanic is staying late to finish it up tonight. I will take some pics of were we places the compressor and our plans to mount a tank and a dual compressor as well. I also ordered everything to put the dual alternator setup on the motor. Tomorrow is going to be a day of heat cycles on the gears, so I can head back to Colorado on Sunday. I was going to head through Moab for the power wagon meet, but my daughter is due to give birth any day.... Soooooooo, probably best to get to home lolol...

I will take some pics tomorrow of the tire clearance and post them up. I will say this, there is "a lot" of room. I think because the tire is so narrow and the offset of the wheel is near perfect that it leaves a lot of room. The tires are 40.8 inches tall, but the tread is only about 10.5 inches wide.

ttengineer

Adventurer
I know AEV made the Highmarks to fit 40s, but I think a 42 fits so much better. The wheel well just looks so damn big with 40s to me. I'm one of those people that doesn't like the look of a lot of empty wheel well.

I'd be really curious to see what a 44 looks like on one though.

On a different note, how do those tires ride? Is it pretty rough even with a lower PSI since they are designed for such heavy loads?

Ravenmad

Observer
I know AEV made the Highmarks to fit 40s, but I think a 42 fits so much better. The wheel well just looks so damn big with 40s to me. I'm one of those people that doesn't like the look of a lot of empty wheel well.

I'd be really curious to see what a 44 looks like on one though.

On a different note, how do those tires ride? Is it pretty rough even with a lower PSI since they are designed for such heavy loads?

Yeah, I am in a conversation with Continental tire about the 43.3 inch tall MPT 81s. I would love to run a 43 lolol... anyways.

The tires rode fine, They are a little noisy, but they ran out fairly smooth. Les Schwab said they were very rround, as round as any high quality 40 inch tire. I only broke 70 mph a couple of times though. Trying to remain true to cruising at 70 on the freeway.

Ravenmad

Observer
Well, I got my truck back. Gears are perfectly quiet, ran 2 heat cycles tonight and Ill run at least 4 or 5 tomorrow and then change the diff. fluid. I do have 1 major complaint though....

I put 900 pounds in the bed of the truck and was pulling a total of 9000 lb at an average of 70 mph with 3.42 gears from Colorado to Salt Lake city. by the math and not the little lie-o-meter I averaged 14.2 mpg. Now, the truck is empty and not pulling a single thing and I can barely get 14... I am sure I will get over it, but I am absolutely disgusted with the thought that when I had stock 3.42 gears and the truck was absolutely empty and I was getting 17.1 mpg in varied stop and go / backroads. Now, I lost 3 mpg and that is cruising on at 60 mph empty. I hope it gets MUCH better.

The throttle response is great and 65 is basically 1750 rpm's...

Tex68w

Beach Bum
That thing is a monster! I love the stance with those narrower tires and the wheels of course look great!

I'd say 14 mpg is about right with your setup. That's a lot of rotational mass you've got going there.

Explorerinil

Observer
Well, I got my truck back. Gears are perfectly quiet, ran 2 heat cycles tonight and Ill run at least 4 or 5 tomorrow and then change the diff. fluid. I do have 1 major complaint though....

I put 900 pounds in the bed of the truck and was pulling a total of 9000 lb at an average of 70 mph with 3.42 gears from Colorado to Salt Lake city. by the math and not the little lie-o-meter I averaged 14.2 mpg. Now, the truck is empty and not pulling a single thing and I can barely get 14... I am sure I will get over it, but I am absolutely disgusted with the thought that when I had stock 3.42 gears and the truck was absolutely empty and I was getting 17.1 mpg in varied stop and go / backroads. Now, I lost 3 mpg and that is cruising on at 60 mph empty. I hope it gets MUCH better.

The throttle response is great and 65 is basically 1750 rpm's...
That mpg is right, I’m getting around 15 with mine

Ravenmad

Observer
That mpg is right, I’m getting around 15 with mine

I ran a heat cycle this morning, letting the gears cool down before I run a third heat cycle. I found this morning that she is VERY temperamental with speed and mpg.... if I set the cruise at 64 mph she is getting right at 16.2, as soon as I step up to 70 she drops to 14mpg on the lie-o-meter... I am really curious to see how she does when I head back to Colorado tomorrow loaded with parts for the truck in the bed and pulling another jeep back on a trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy