Ram 2500 XL for overland / expedition trips

Ravenmad

Observer
So why 2 compressors? A dual ARB with a tank should be plenty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry I missed answering this question before. I prefer redundancy (so I would prefer 2 individual HD compressors over the dual compressor), but also because the volume of the twin is good, but when you add the HD single to the twin (which is pretty much just 2 HD singles mounted together / oversimplifying it a lot) it makes it actually possible to use a lot of diff. air tools that require a little more volume than the twin can provide. The redundancy is also the primary reason for dual alternators, with the added output being second. I guess its a mute point, most would consider the added output to be the primary benefit, I just have a tendency to see the redundancy as the primary benefit, same with the compressors.

Ravenmad

Observer
Update on the road trip, I seam to have found the right tire PSI and speed. Dropped the tires down yesterday and I am running at 64 mph on the highway. Tire temp is running cool with an even contact patch. runs very smooth down the road with no wander or drift (doesn't feel floaty). Just topped off ( 200 miles closer to home ) and Im running just under 14 mpg. 650 pounds in the bed, 7200 pounds in tow. I may try dropping down to 60, but I don't want to absolutely piss everyone off by driving slow.

Copperhead14

Observer
14mpg with 650 pounds in bed and 7,200 on a trailer, that sounds pretty good. How does your steering feel after the tire and wheel change?

Ravenmad

Observer
14mpg with 650 pounds in bed and 7,200 on a trailer, that sounds pretty good. How does your steering feel after the tire and wheel change?

It actually steers great on the road, no issues at all. I have not used it offload though. I do have a full PSC ram assist steering system that we are going to try to install this coming week. I will say though, the factory pitman arm nut has come loose 3 times now (scary). I am now in the habit of checking it every 5-600 miles.

ttengineer

Adventurer
I don't see why you couldn't get 17mpg+ unloaded. Try dropping it into 5th gear. I've found that when I do that, unloaded, I get 22mpg on my way to Florida from Atlanta going 70mph with 2000rpms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I don't see why you couldn't get 17mpg+ unloaded. Try dropping it into 5th gear. I've found that when I do that, unloaded, I get 22mpg on my way to Florida from Atlanta going 70mph with 2000rpms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What tire/gear ratio/engine combo are you running?

Tex68w

Beach Bum
The first 6.4 hemi 2500 CCSB I had before the diesel would only get 17 if I absolutely babied it on the highway, and that way bone stock. My body at work put 35s on his 6.4 hemi 2500 and he gets pretty consistent 14mpg on the highway. Most guys Ive talked to that run 6.4 hemi's and 37 get around 12-13 on the highway (thats what they tell me) but I've yet to talk to anyone who is running a 40 plus inch tire on a 6.4 hemi. The general rule of thumb that I was told buy several people in the know say that if you build 2 identical trucks, 1 with a stock 6.4 hemi and 1 with a stock 6.7 cummins the cummins will get about 3 mpg better milage.

The is pretty accurate with my findings so far. 6.4L Hemi with 4.10's and 37x13.50R18's and I average between 12-14mpg.

Ravenmad

Observer
The is pretty accurate with my findings so far. 6.4L Hemi with 4.10's and 37x13.50R18's and I average between 12-14mpg.

OMGosh, lolol.... I really need to turn off my auto spell... Sorry I actually read through my post and then realized several words are jacked up... Sorry...

Last edited:

Ravenmad

Observer
Headed to Les Schwab this morning to get the alignment fixed and tires re-ballenced ( steering wheel is a little off and I have a tire that started shaking yesterday on the trip home ). I had Schwab mount and balance the tires last week and do the allignemnet ( they have a warranty )

Ravenmad

Observer
Alignment fixed. I dropped the tire pressure down again in the never ending search for the best contact patch / handling / ride quality. 26.5 rear - 31.5 front (cold).... These tires seem to be very sensitive to tire pressure and ride quality. Im assuming because they have such a high load rating.

Ravenmad

Observer
I am about to order the WARN 16.5 winch for the front AEV bumper. But, I thought I would get some input... I have the ability to get two WARN 18K Indus. 24 volt winches. But, Im not sure what the benefit would be or how to wire such a system. Probably have to build a dedicated 24 volt battery bank with the second 220 amp alt. designated just for it.

We are also thinking about moding the AEV front bumper. I am interested in building a grill guard into the bumper in order to give the front of the truck protection from brush, branches and small critters (deer). Thoughts? Ideas?

Im thinking something like, blending the aev with the tube work on the road armor... Im also thinking we will not use the front lower section of high mark flare, instead we will build a mild steal version of the plastic flare in a teardrop shape that will basically "cap" the bottom edge of the flare and be welded on. Im thinking that lower section of fender flare will be begging to get damaged.

Attachments

• 40805Z_0.png
    40805Z_0.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 2016-ram-2500-cummins-aev-front-bumper.jpg
    2016-ram-2500-cummins-aev-front-bumper.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 106
  • 20180428_075939.jpg
    20180428_075939.jpg
    587.2 KB · Views: 105

Forum statistics

Threads