Ram 2500 XL for overland / expedition trips

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
And that is the truth.

this is super off topic, and I say this working for Sprint - the only real way to stop the monitoring of communications is by using Apple's iMessage or Samsung's KNOX. Its fully end to end encrypted and operates over the data network vs SMS. Apple has stood up to the government involving encryption, samsung has yet to make a public defense so my hat is in apple's ring right now

RPhil

Adventurer
Lots of nice Power Wagon builds going on around here. Excited to see the big tires stuffed in those flares. I don’t know why but it makes me happy to see a new truck get chopped up.

hodgexj1996

So I'm more of a lurker here than anything, but I spent years of my evening's over on DTX and lots of $ trying to get my 06 2500 to ride good. At the time I was changing out a 5" Rough Country lift to a 3" setup more akin to thuren and carli setups. Since I had blown my budget buying crap I was researching a work around on coils since I dropped 1100 on shocks. Knowing thuren runs a long free length and a light coil rate ( about 350lb spring rate ) I did some calling around and found out rough country hemi coils for the 2500 series have a 325lb rate but were a touch longer (5" coils netted me 3") Now this was on a 3rd gen dodge but it might be worth a shot toget look into. They were like $150 a pair compared to $300 and since they were oem copies there's a chance they are flat wind and not offset for the lower mount. Now I know they aren't great for much, but hard parts like coils, spacers etc are usually pretty good quality aside from sub par coating and they have awesome customer service which made getting info on rates a breeze. Especially for trial coils might be worth a shot.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

ttengineer

Adventurer
So I'm more of a lurker here than anything, but I spent years of my evening's over on DTX and lots of $ trying to get my 06 2500 to ride good. At the time I was changing out a 5" Rough Country lift to a 3" setup more akin to thuren and carli setups. Since I had blown my budget buying crap I was researching a work around on coils since I dropped 1100 on shocks. Knowing thuren runs a long free length and a light coil rate ( about 350lb spring rate ) I did some calling around and found out rough country hemi coils for the 2500 series have a 325lb rate but were a touch longer (5" coils netted me 3") Now this was on a 3rd gen dodge but it might be worth a shot toget look into. They were like $150 a pair compared to $300 and since they were oem copies there's a chance they are flat wind and not offset for the lower mount. Now I know they aren't great for much, but hard parts like coils, spacers etc are usually pretty good quality aside from sub par coating and they have awesome customer service which made getting info on rates a breeze. Especially for trial coils might be worth a shot.

Are you referring to using these coils in an AEV equipped 4th gen?

I called CJC and DPP last night, neither were very much help in this matter.

I still think it's doable to switch the coils out on an AEV ram it's just turning into a bigger cluster than I initially thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hodgexj1996

Are you referring to using these coils in an AEV equipped 4th gen?

I called CJC and DPP last night, neither were very much help in this matter.

I still think it's doable to switch the coils out on an AEV ram it's just turning into a bigger cluster than I initially thought.

Yea. I'm not too familiar on 4th gen or aev stuff but I do know RC mimics stock designs so on assumption the coils might not have the offset pigtail like thuren designed. I browsed quickly and saw aev lists the kit as a 3". It's a totally uneducated guess but maybe the 5" hemi coils may have the rate and free length to use them in place of spacers and net you the 3" of overall lift and still have a compliant ride when paired with good shocks. I know it's apples to oranges comparing my 3rd to your 4th gen but it's worth a shot. I was told I was nuts multiple times but the numbers don't lie. The free length and rate were nearly identical and it may be an affordable work around. Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Ravenmad

Observer
I will measure the AEV lower coil mount / spacer this afternoon. But, with the naked eye they look like they mimic the factory mounting surface. When I spoke to AEV they said their lower mount / spacer corrects the factory design, however, it sure looks like the coil is going to sit at the same angle. Matter of fact, it absolutely looks like the only thing it corrects for is the axle being moved forward 1.6 inches. the bump stop impact points and the passenger side track bar mount.

I will put an angle gauge on both the factory lower mount and then the AEV lower mount to measure the difference, but, with the naked eye they look the same. If they are the same then I don't see why the Thuren coils would not work. I wonder if all this trouble is not so much about products not working together so much as it is about manufactures not wanting to cross promote another brand (which I understand as they are competitors) , but heck, common, thuren and carli offer far better suspension systems than AEV, but you are stuck using AEV if you want to run a 40 - 41.5 tire ( they are all WAY overpriced though)

If the AEV lower coil mount surface on the front AEV spacers is identical to the factory lower mount, angle wise, well, Daddy is going to be sporting a set of thuren coils next week to go with King Shocks.

Also, side note, I spoke to Cooper again at DPP, he said he literally pulled the front factory sway bar out of "Sledge" . He said the front radius arm design is so rigid that the truck actually drives better without the factory sway bar with no ill effects. I intentionally left my factory front sway bar out and we will see how it drives. If I do swap to thuren coils I will put either the thuren or carli sway bar in place of the factory unit.

ttengineer

Adventurer
I will measure the AEV lower coil mount / spacer this afternoon. But, with the naked eye they look like they mimic the factory mounting surface. When I spoke to AEV they said their lower mount / spacer corrects the factory design, however, it sure looks like the coil is going to sit at the same angle. Matter of fact, it absolutely looks like the only thing it corrects for is the axle being moved forward 1.6 inches. the bump stop impact points and the passenger side track bar mount.

I will put an angle gauge on both the factory lower mount and then the AEV lower mount to measure the difference, but, with the naked eye they look the same. If they are the same then I don't see why the Thuren coils would not work. I wonder if all this trouble is not so much about products not working together so much as it is about manufactures not wanting to cross promote another brand (which I understand as they are competitors) , but heck, common, thuren and carli offer far better suspension systems than AEV, but you are stuck using AEV if you want to run a 40 - 41.5 tire ( they are all WAY overpriced though)

If the AEV lower coil mount surface on the front AEV spacers is identical to the factory lower mount, angle wise, well, Daddy is going to be sporting a set of thuren coils next week to go with King Shocks.

Also, side note, I spoke to Cooper again at DPP, he said he literally pulled the front factory sway bar out of "Sledge" . He said the front radius arm design is so rigid that the truck actually drives better without the factory sway bar with no ill effects. I intentionally left my factory front sway bar out and we will see how it drives. If I do swap to thuren coils I will put either the thuren or carli sway bar in place of the factory unit.

All my thoughts exactly.

I also plan on the Carli swaybar. Please let me know about the coil seat as well. If it's the same, Don will be 2k richer because I'll be buying some 3" kings and ½" coils. I'll pair this stuff with a Carli full leaf pack in the back too.

Last edited:

mikekey

Deplorable
thuren and carli offer far better suspension systems than AEV, but you are stuck using AEV if you want to run a 40 - 41.5 tire ( they are all WAY overpriced though)

You do not need AEV's lift to run 40's. Perhaps you need their fender flares to do it nicely. The "moving the axle forward" is literally two pieces you can fabricate with any good shop. Talking a billet spacer for the driveshaft and a forward drop bracket for the radius arm. Carli makes a drop bracket, that if you compare to AEV's is solid and much stronger if you intend to wheel.

Other than that, from personal experience, AEV's lift on 37's is the same as my Thuren 3 inch on 37's. And I know which one wheels better from actual testing in Moab.

By the way, The Kings are worth the investment 100000x over.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
Carli makes a drop bracket, that if you compare to AEV's is solid and much stronger if you intend to wheel.

the problem that we keep running into is that AEV is currently the only one that manufactures a drop bracket that also shifts the axle forward. Both Carli's control arms and brackets retain stock placement/geometry. Over the last few weeks a couple new options have come to light, but thats where we stand at the moment

Ravenmad

Observer
Ok, soooooo ..... The AEV front lower coil brackets / spacers. Armed with an electronic angle finder it seems as though the AEV spacer eliminates about half of the angles that the factory lower coil mount produces...

i.e. the factory coil mount is angled about 15 degrees forward and 9 degrees inboard. The AEV bracket seems to sit at about 9 degrees forward and 5 degrees inboard.

Attachments

• 20180424_154757.jpg
    20180424_154757.jpg
    605.2 KB · Views: 132

ttengineer

Adventurer
Ok, soooooo ..... The AEV front lower coil brackets / spacers. Armed with an electronic angle finder it seems as though the AEV spacer eliminates about half of the angles that the factory lower coil mount produces...

i.e. the factory coil mount is angled about 15 degrees forward and 9 degrees inboard. The AEV bracket seems to sit at about 9 degrees forward and 5 degrees inboard.

Interesting.

Is the photo at full droop?

It appears that Thuren's .5" coil may be ok. I wouldn't go over that though. May have to add limit straps, and Carli Radius Arms too just to be safe and ensure everything moves appropriately.

Your thoughts?

I really want to get my hands on a set of his .5" coils just to be sure.

Ravenmad

Observer
Interesting.

Is the photo at full droop?

It appears that Thuren's .5" coil may be ok. I wouldn't go over that though. May have to add limit straps, and Carli Radius Arms too just to be safe and ensure everything moves appropriately.

Your thoughts?

I really want to get my hands on a set of his .5" coils just to be sure.

It is about 1 inch above full drop.

I think you may be correct, 1/2 inch lift coils may be fine, perhaps a slight distortion / bow, but the factory coils are going to bow a little when I put the tires and wheels on tomorrow and set her on her own weight. I am a little hesitant to pull the trigger on a set of $300. coils just to see if they will work. Crazy fact, most jeep coils cost around $45-$50 a piece to produce. a full size truck MIGHT, and I say, MIGHT cost $60 a piece to produce and that in limited quantities. The large vendors can get a better price point because of volume and secondary product production i.e coils for jeeps, trucks and misc.

I get that companies have overhead, employees and lots of risk, but its still hard to except a 200% markup from production cost. I have a close friend in the off-road ind. and they typically function on a very specific margin. When they sell products through a middle man (vendor) they eat about 30 points / percent just to move more volume.

I guess I am complaining again... MERICA

Ravenmad

Observer
Also, side note... The AEV kit provides right at 9 Inches of shock throw on all 4 corners. THE Thuren coils and hence shocks provide app. 10 inches in the front and 12.5 in the rear (thats what I was told).

P.s. the AEV rear upper coil spacers are held in with 2 bolts.... (total pain to install)

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Those coils are actually $350 lol, 10ish percent discount off so $315, then add in the crazy $30 flat shipping fee and you are back to $350. I found it hard to swallow as I agree that the cost seems absurd for a set of simple coils, but in the end I am happy with my purchase and I no longer think about the cost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy