Ram 2500 XL for overland / expedition trips

Ravenmad

Observer
I am just going to bite the bullet and run King's. A member made a good point about Digressive / Progressive / Linear shock valving (of which I knew nothing and was completely ignorant) on another thread. Sooooo, I did quite a bit of reading and I think I will be a lot happier just spending the money and getting a really good quality shock that is valved for the specific kind of use I intend to subject it to. The truck is going to spend a lot of time on backroads, overland routes and off pavement high mountain passes as well as trips to Alaska. I like the idea of a truck that handles well on the road, but I will gladly soften up the roll center to gain a better off-road ride. My tires are a load range M, so no question, getting the proper air pressure is going to help as well.

My guess is I will have to run the AEV bilstiens as it looks like Kings are a 6 plus week wait.

Adventurous

Explorer
For reference, on my Tacoma I ran a set of Icons initially before ponying up for a set of Kings. Go Kings. 300%. The digressively valved Icons were definitely more street friendly in terms of managing body roll, but they tended to be harsh over small bumps and blow through their travel over large bumps. The Kings had a brief zone where they would allow body roll before firming up, but were plush over small bumps, dropped into and sucked up bigger bumps, but were way, WAY more comfy on dirt/washboard type roads. Spend the extra 600 and get the compression adjusters, they actually do make a difference and you'll be thankful you did.

Ravenmad

Observer
For reference, on my Tacoma I ran a set of Icons initially before ponying up for a set of Kings. Go Kings. 300%. The digressively valved Icons were definitely more street friendly in terms of managing body roll, but they tended to be harsh over small bumps and blow through their travel over large bumps. The Kings had a brief zone where they would allow body roll before firming up, but were plush over small bumps, dropped into and sucked up bigger bumps, but were way, WAY more comfy on dirt/washboard type roads. Spend the extra 600 and get the compression adjusters, they actually do make a difference and you'll be thankful you did.

Totally agree.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Pay it now or pay it later, if you can afford it then it's usually best to just get it out of the way and do it up front. The Power Wagon will be getting King's in 2019, there's just no better option when you get down to it.

Ravenmad

Observer
Workin on the front flares... I would deff. say that these flares are not something you can return from, you have to cut a lot of sheet metal to get them to fit... OUCH... lol

Attachments

• 20180422_113731.jpg
    20180422_113731.jpg
    528.9 KB · Views: 179
  • 20180422_103328.jpg
    20180422_103328.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 183

ttengineer

Adventurer
When you order your Kings just make sure you order the right stoke and shaft length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ravenmad

Observer
When you order your Kings just make sure you order the right stoke and shaft length.

Im just gonna call Thuren, tell them what I have and let them use their best judgment. Although, I see that CJC offload has a decent deal on Kings for the RAM 2500 as well.

Explorerinil

Observer
When I did my suspension I ordered a carli backcountry, mainly for a better ride and handeling, I wanted to save some cash over the pin top and thought I’d be happy with the Fox 2.0 shocks... now I’m wanting to get a set of Kings, which ride awesome and make your truck Handel like it’s on rails.

Do it once, get the Kings

ttengineer

Adventurer
I wish someone made replacement coils for the Ram that work with the AEV lift.

It's turning into a much harder find than I thought initially.

Ravenmad

Observer

I absolutely agree. I would not be apposed to having custom coils built to Thuren specs but with the lower profile of the stock coil for mounting purposes... Now, to somehow acquire such said specifications.... lololol

In a way it sucks, the only parts I really need from the AEV kit are a couple of brackets in the front part of the kit. Everything else needs to be upgraded or changed to support what I want the truck to do and the ride quality I want (not a mall crawler). It would be great if thuren or carli just built a kit that moved the axle forward to accommodate 40s.

Fab Four sells their flares that they say clear 40s, however, their kit requires you to cut a lot more out of the rocker panel than the AEV kit does. I read thru the fab four instructions, OMGosh, they cut another 2 inches out of the rocker panel and get fairly close to the lower door hinge (no thanks)....

Ravenmad

Observer
When I did my suspension I ordered a carli backcountry, mainly for a better ride and handeling, I wanted to save some cash over the pin top and thought I’d be happy with the Fox 2.0 shocks... now I’m wanting to get a set of Kings, which ride awesome and make your truck Handel like it’s on rails.

Do it once, get the Kings

Yuppppppp..... I don't like building things twice. I would rather eat the extra cost up front and then when its done, its done and I can just enjoy it instead of wondering what I should change to make it better.

ttengineer

Adventurer

I absolutely agree. I would not be apposed to having custom coils built to Thuren specs but with the lower profile of the stock coil for mounting purposes... Now, to somehow acquire such said specifications.... lololol

In a way it sucks, the only parts I really need from the AEV kit are a couple of brackets in the front part of the kit. Everything else needs to be upgraded or changed to support what I want the truck to do and the ride quality I want (not a mall crawler). It would be great if thuren or carli just built a kit that moved the axle forward to accommodate 40s.

Fab Four sells their flares that they say clear 40s, however, their kit requires you to cut a lot more out of the rocker panel than the AEV kit does. I read thru the fab four instructions, OMGosh, they cut another 2 inches out of the rocker panel and get fairly close to the lower door hinge (no thanks)....

I asked Don if he would make custom coils. He said no. But I bet if enough of us email him about making a 1" lift coil that replaces the stock coil in an AEV kit he would reconsider.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy