Ram 2500 XL for overland / expedition trips

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I'd put your trauma kit in the cab with you. It will provide quicker access, it's climate controlled, and there's no risk of unnecessary moisture or dirt/dust getting into your kit. Everyone should have a medical kit on hand and learn how to use it. That said, certain things should be left up to professionals or those properly trained such as a performing a tracheotomy or needle decompression for tension pneumothorax. If you think you want to pursue such procedures then get proper TCCC training and understand the legal ramifications that you can face should things go wrong or if a casualty later decides that you assumed permission and now wants to sue you.

Ravenmad

Observer
I'd put your trauma kit in the cab with you. It will provide quicker access, it's climate controlled, and there's no risk of unnecessary moisture or dirt/dust getting into your kit. Everyone should have a medical kit on hand and learn how to use it. That said, certain things should be left up to professionals or those properly trained such as a performing a tracheotomy or needle decompression for tension pneumothorax. If you think you want to pursue such procedures then get proper TCCC training and understand the legal ramifications that you can face should things go wrong or if a casualty later decides that you assumed permission and now wants to sue you.

I will have to look at space in the cab, the space under the rear seat is already taken. I totally agree when it comes to medical training and understanding your limits as well as the Legal ramifications of actually helping someone should the circumstances necessitate it. I strongly believe there are a few things people should take seriously if they plan on doing a lot of back country exploring / Over-Landing, Medical - Navigation / How to use a map - Basic vehicle recovery - Basic Mechanics / understanding how your vehicle works - and some sort of basic survival. These things may seem like pie in the sky, sure would be nice but cost a lot of money things, but, maybe it means a formal wilderness EMT course and online studying for the rest to keep the cost and time commitment down. Maybe it also means you don't travel alone and instead cross load for lack of a better term the skill sets into different vehicles. Me, Im fortunate enough to have "A LOT" of formal training and experience in these areas so I am of course biased and see the need (just my opinion, not necessarily true for everyone).

I suppose there is this point were we each have to ask ourselves what is good, what is possible, and what is realistic, balance them all out and do what we can. Preparation is kinda like gear, you can't carry everything you might possibly need, but you can carry what you know you'll need. Also, if we spend all our time preparing and never go then what's the use in preparing.

Last edited:

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
i cant imagine that the tire wouldnt happily hold up to higher speeds considering that their weight rating is directly influencing the speed rating as well.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I will have to look at space in the cab, the space under the rear seat is already taken. I totally agree when it comes to medical training and understanding your limits as well as the Legal ramifications of actually helping someone should the circumstances necessitate it. I strongly believe there are a few things people should take seriously if they plan on doing a lot of back country exploring / Over-Landing, Medical - Navigation / How to use a map - Basic vehicle recovery - Basic Mechanics / understanding how your vehicle works - and some sort of basic survival. These things may seem like pie in the sky, sure would be nice but cost a lot of money things, but, maybe it means a formal wilderness EMT course and online studying for the rest to keep the cost and time commitment down. Maybe it also means you don't travel alone and instead cross load for lack of a better term the skill sets into different vehicles. Me, Im fortunate enough to have "A LOT" of formal training and experience in these areas so I am of course biased and see the need (just my opinion, not necessarily true for everyone).

I suppose there is this point were we each have to ask ourselves what is good, what is possible, and what is realistic, balance them all out and do what we can. Preparation is kinda like gear, you can't carry everything you might possibly need, but you can carry what you know you'll need. Also, if we spend all your time preparing and never go then what's the use in preparing.

Yes, there is a fine line between training competently and over training. It's best to be prepared for the situations you might encounter but then again we can't possibly always know what those situations might be nor will we ever truly be ready for everything regardless of the training and time we put in.

In regards to basic first-aid and trauma I think that everyone should know basic CPR/AED and how to treat minor injuries at a minimum. If you spend a lot of time in the bush alone and/or participating in potentially dangerous activities like climbing, hunting, and riding ATV's then it would be good practice to take a TCCC course and become comfortable with tourniquets, NPA/OPA's, and how to treat injuries like sucking chest wounds. Like yourself, I have plenty of practice and experience and even though I am a civilian now, I take a full kit with me everywhere I go so that I can be prepared to assist at a moments notice. Those who travel overland in particular should educate themselves on such matters since they are more than likely to be in remote areas often with little to no access to emergency medical services.

Ravenmad

Observer
i cant imagine that the tire wouldnt happily hold up to higher speeds considering that their weight rating is directly influencing the speed rating as well.

I agree. I spoke to 3 different people from within the industry who are "experts" were tires are concerned. Consensus was, if Im not towing heavy then 10% over is a "very" safe speed. Tire Temperature is the biggest factor next to sustained speed. The tires should in theory maintain 75-80 mph under a light load with the tire pressure set correctly and a lower ambient air temp / road surface temp. The tires seem to run very cool, even on warm days over extended lengths of travel. In a recent trip into Wyoming to visit a friend I was in a hurry and cruised at 75-77 mph for about 350 miles straight, when I stopped to get a snack and check the tires, they were still cool to the touch on the sidewall and only warm on the tread. I rarely drive that fast though unless Im passing some one who is driving really slow. All in All, the tires are great for what i want them for. I have used them off road several times, the traction is really good in dry dirt, aggregate and mixed rocks. Wet snow was a bit of a wash as I spent most of that trip digging the truck out of a 5 foot deep snow drift.

No question about that, my 1660 with my tools in it easily weighs 150 pounds. I like the idea of having locks on each case with a common key for sure. looking at the bed, I think I will need to put the cases in and move them around to see how to best use the space. I also agree, the cases should be located as per importance. It may be that I attach my aid and trauma bags to a molly system attached to the inside of the bed for quick access. Fluids / long term maintenance case and major repair tools will be up front (if I need them, well, unloading the truck will be the least of my worries), that should leave me with 2 maybe 3 more cases. 1 case for major trauma (i.e. longer term care, dental, sutures, etc. ). I think another case should be for long term food storage and the last case for survival, food prep.

Looking at the rack design and RTT placement, I think I can put the tent on the back of the truck and have it open up over the tail gate. If I do that, then I will have room for 2 - 120 qtr Alu-Boxes to be mounted between the tent and the cab. Im assuming I will put light items in the Alu-Boxes (i.e. sleeping bags, clothing items and such).

Most RTTs have enough room inside to allow you to keep all your bedding inside when closed. That makes setup and teardown much easier. I would defiantly recommend a hard top RTT if you can afford it. I didn't have the money to get a hard top when I got mine and always regretted not waiting. It isn't a pain to teardown normally, but if weather turns on you and you are trying to fold up a soft top in the wind and rain it can get frustrating.

From all the stuff you plan on putting in the cases it sounds like you will be planning some seriously long trips in this build. You have any plans yet?

Ravenmad

Observer
Most RTTs have enough room inside to allow you to keep all your bedding inside when closed. That makes setup and teardown much easier. I would defiantly recommend a hard top RTT if you can afford it. I didn't have the money to get a hard top when I got mine and always regretted not waiting. It isn't a pain to teardown normally, but if weather turns on you and you are trying to fold up a soft top in the wind and rain it can get frustrating.

From all the stuff you plan on putting in the cases it sounds like you will be planning some seriously long trips in this build. You have any plans yet?

I actually don't have a list yet. I am retiring at the end of this year ( old age of 47) and I should have plenty of time to do what I want. I would like to take some photography classes and get some gear though (as a hobby only). Im a big fan of the mountains, but mostly I just like the wilderness and remote locations. I suppose I am building the truck in preparation of doing whatever comes to my mind or presents itself, the more remote and hard to get to the better. I do have a habit of taking of in a direction and just letting the adventure begin. Getting as far away from humanity is a habit in my life for sure, not that I'm anti social, I just prefer adventure to society, the outdoors to the city and an objective to a chair... lolol don't get me wrong, a good glass of scotch while sitting in a quality folding chair next to a fire overlooking some great expanse of wilderness is epic in my mind, and there is a chair...

ttengineer

Adventurer
47! Well done sir. Getting out before you're 50 is quite the accomplishment.

What type of work are you saying so long too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ravenmad

Observer
47! Well done sir. Getting out before you're 50 is quite the accomplishment.

What type of work are you saying so long too?

I know, right... Out before I'm 50, its going to feel great. I'm retiring from the Army, probably going to finish my education, start teaching Archeology or History at a collage level and require students to call me "Dr. Jones" lolol... but really, I have an opportunity to teach off road driving and vehicle based navigation to NGO's headed into austere environments around the world that I am actively pursuing. I really have very little interest in contractor work and I would much rather live a simple life, enjoy the out doors and give to those who can use my experience to be successful. It sounds weird to some people, but its good to slow down, take a deep breath and enjoy the quiet if you can.

Copperhead14

Observer
Ravenmad, thank you for your service. Also, thank you for your willingness to teach others and share your knowledge. Your truck looks great. If you ever end up near Purdue Universtiy hit me up. Enjoy your retirement.

g man

Ravenmad, your plan sounds excellent! I too am thankful for your service. If my math serves me correctly, you got in about the time that we formally started playing in the sand (early 90s). Are you enlisted or shall we call you “sir”? Either way, thank you!!

Ravenmad

Observer
Ravenmad, your plan sounds excellent! I too am thankful for your service. If my math serves me correctly, you got in about the time that we formally started playing in the sand (early 90s). Are you enlisted or shall we call you “sir”? Either way, thank you!!

I actually joined the first time for the first gulf war, got out in 1994 and returned after 9/11. lolol Im just an enlisted guy. I appreciate the "thank You" from everyone, I strongly believe we each have our place, this was mine, I had my day and it done. I am grateful for the men and woman I have had the privilege of serving with and I am grateful for each person I meet that loves their job, is good at it and strives to do the best that they can. It sounds cliche-is, but its the truth. OK, my philosophy sharing moment is done... lololol

Ravenmad

Observer
Truck is in the shop today, finished up the rear inner fender wells from AEV and Im working on the fronts. My new WARN 16.5 TI was supposed to be delivered yesterday but was not (thank you FED-EX). Sooooo, Ill be driving back up to the shop tomorrow to finish the PSC Ram assist system and install the front AEV bumper, Winch and take measurements for the front grill guard and were I'm going to put the metric ton of JW Speaker LED lights on it...

Last edited:

Ravenmad

Observer
My light package as of today.... "all JW speaker products".

5 - TS 300IV / Driving Beam (wide angle)
4 - TS 4000 / Driving Beam (wide angle)
6 - Model 526 / Trapezoid Beam Pattern

The TS 300IV's will be mounted to the bottom of the bed rack and will be used to illuminate around the back of the truck. I will be using a cab mounted switch as well as an over ride switch on the rack system so I can be outside the truck and reach up, flip the switch and light up the area I want to.

Two of the TS 400's will be used in the AEV bumper for driving lights.

The Model 526 lights will be mounted to the Grill guard (center) once it is built.

My assumption is I will either use a switch pro's or equivalent product to control all the lights except the driving lights (TS 4000) in the AEV bumper. I am considering some form of ROCK lights to help with low speed travel at night, but Im not sure yet what they will be.

Ravenmad

Observer
I got a lot done today, and Im hopeful I can get the front bumper and WARN 16.5 TI installed in the morning, along with two of the driving lights. Monday will be front inner fender liners and some wiring (fingers crossed).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy