Ram 2500 XL for overland / expedition trips

Explorerinil

Observer
I got a lot done today, and Im hopeful I can get the front bumper and WARN 16.5 TI installed in the morning, along with two of the driving lights. Monday will be front inner fender liners and some wiring (fingers crossed).
Install th winch in the bumper then install the bumper, makes it allot easier, I have done it both ways.

Ravenmad

Observer
Install th winch in the bumper then install the bumper, makes it allot easier, I have done it both ways.

I will take that bit of wisdom and run with it, not literally though, the winch weighs close to 135 pounds and personally, those days are over for me lololol... Im headed up to the shop in about 10 minutes to pull the factory bumper and start to install the new Winch and AEV bumper ... We will see how long this takes by myself. I do have the help of a forklift and a full working fab. shop. Im sure its going to be a pain, but owww well, such is life.

Ravenmad

Observer
Well, 8 hours later and the 16.5 TI and AEV bumper are installed. I suppose if I was not doing it by myself it would have gone a lot faster. I am going to have to build a set of custom brackets for the JW Speaker lights that fit in the bumper, I have them mounted now but they sit back about 3 inches from the inside of the bezel. For anyone that has an AEV bumper and wants to go with the high-line fenders, I cut and moved the front bumper wings to work with the High-Line fenders and inner fender wells (I didn't want to pay the $800. for XL wings for the front bumper as I got this bumper for cheep) its totally possible... Also, if you look close enough to the Winch solenoid pack you will see that it is cracked.... I dropped it... Should really have brought a friend to help me install this thing, its crazy heavy...

Man, the 41s are looking small-is....

20180526_180002.jpg20180526_180028.jpg

Explorerinil

Observer
Well, 8 hours later and the 16.5 TI and AEV bumper are installed. I suppose if I was not doing it by myself it would have gone a lot faster. I am going to have to build a set of custom brackets for the JW Speaker lights that fit in the bumper, I have them mounted now but they sit back about 3 inches from the inside of the bezel. For anyone that has an AEV bumper and wants to go with the high-line fenders, I cut and moved the front bumper wings to work with the High-Line fenders and inner fender wells (I didn't want to pay the $800. for XL wings for the front bumper as I got this bumper for cheep) its totally possible... Also, if you look close enough to the Winch solenoid pack you will see that it is cracked.... I dropped it... Should really have brought a friend to help me install this thing, its crazy heavy...

Man, the 41s are looking small-is....

View attachment 451041View attachment 451042
Looks good, yes that bumper with the winch is very heavy and hard to manage espically near the radiator. Are you going to do something with the inside of the fenders? I think I would shoot some line x on them. You really need a black grill now!

Ravenmad

Observer
Looks good, yes that bumper with the winch is very heavy and hard to manage espically near the radiator. Are you going to do something with the inside of the fenders? I think I would shoot some line x on them. You really need a black grill now!

Yeah, I have been waiting to install the inner fender liners until I am finished with the "area" to make accessing easier. I finished the rear inner fender wells 2 days ago after I finalized the onboard air system and the lines to the rear. It really makes things easier to not have to remove or work around the plastic liners. I deff. need a black grill, but I will wait until I am done with the front bumper. Sucks, all the work to install the bumper and fit everything and ultimately it will come back off once the tube work is done so I can have it painted / powder coated / Line-X (whichever I decide on). I will say this, when It goes back on it will take a fork lift to set it in place.

Ravenmad

Observer
I really want to see if a 44 would fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I really think I could run a 42 or a 43 so long as it was narrow. A 40 x15 on a 12 inch wheel with 4.5 inches of backspacing has so much scrub radius that it is about as big as you can go. However, my tires are only about 11.5 inches wide on a 9.5 inch wide wheel with 4.5 inches of backspace so I still have about 2 inches of clearance around the tire at it's closest point when the wheel is turned and suspension compressed. To clarify though, my tires new are actually only 40.8 inches tall. Continental makes a 43.4 inch tall tire, however, it weighs another 25 pounds per tire and has an absolutely absurd load rating. It is really difficult to find a good all around tire that is both tall and narrow, offers a good load rating, has decent road nmanners and some kind of a life span. I don't mind some road noise, I've got a 1200 watt 12 speaker, 2 amp, Alpine Re-Style going into the truck in the next 2 weeks..... lolol Tire Hum will be aching of the past... lolol

Explorerinil

Observer
Yeah, I have been waiting to install the inner fender liners until I am finished with the "area" to make accessing easier. I finished the rear inner fender wells 2 days ago after I finalized the onboard air system and the lines to the rear. It really makes things easier to not have to remove or work around the plastic liners. I deff. need a black grill, but I will wait until I am done with the front bumper. Sucks, all the work to install the bumper and fit everything and ultimately it will come back off once the tube work is done so I can have it painted / powder coated / Line-X (whichever I decide on). I will say this, when It goes back on it will take a fork lift to set it in place.
I got a stock grill coated in black premium line x for sale if interested pm me.

Ravenmad

Observer
Not a lot done to the truck this week. I did manage to order most of my recovery gear yesterday and today.

1. PullPal 16,000. This is their "new" model for vehicles up to 12K.
2. WARN Heavy Duty Recovery kit 97570
3. 2 Max Trax
4. Factor 55 Ultra Hook ( for the front 16.5Ti )
5. WARN Wireless controller ( 9 basically as a backup )
6. MAX AXE multi purpose tool kit
7. A good quality standard fiberglass shovel
8. 7/16" - 60' cable extension for the front 16.5 just in case I can't reach with 90' (really only 75' is usable) with an eye at each end for D-rings.

I already had the Pullpal RW 11,000 ( but it is only rated for up to 6K vehicle weight / actually never used it )
I am considering the new ARB hydraulic high lift jack ( Im not a huge fan of High Lift jacks but they have their place )
Plus, I already have a High Lift jack with all the assortment of goodies for it. .

ttengineer

Adventurer
So it looks like DPP will possibly be offering some "upgrades" to the AEV lift here shortly. No word on what that is, but rumors say it's for ride improvement (read springs and shocks).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be completely inappropriate for me to say exactly what you can expect from DPP as far as upgrades to the AEV kit, however, I have it on good authority you are correct... You should see the stuff in review VERY soon.

Any word on this? I’ve been keeping my ear to the ground, but it’s been quiet.

Ravenmad

Observer
Any word on this? I’ve been keeping my ear to the ground, but it’s been quiet.

I think you can expect upgraded shocks valved specifically for factory coil springs (I realize there are a lot of factory spring rates, but in all actuality, the difference in rates is quite minimal), the shocks should have adjustable dampening, remote resi, diesel and gas specific valving and will be a high quality name brand. I also know Cooper and Dave put a 5 link on the front of Sledge and it seems to have made some improvement. The 5 link also supports the 37 to 40 inch tire adaptation of the 3 inch dual sport kit. I am certain the 5 link will also necessitate the use of a front sway bar while keeping the radius arm design front suspension allows you to not really need the factory sway bar for stability (body roll control). I have the 3 inch AEV kit and 41s with a diesel and I removed the front sway bar, truck still drives great even when towing (cooper has had the same experience).

Darwin

Explorer
Pirelli makes a tire in the same size as yours that might make a another option for tires, it's the PS22.

Ravenmad

Observer
I actually took the truck in today to get TPMS sensors added to the wheels, rebalance and rotate. I am rotating tires about every 2500 miles (I know its probably overkill). I have run out 5,126 miles on the tires and they are showing a consistent 3/32 of ware on the fronts and 2/32 on the rears so far (thats an average of 1.5/32 on the fronts per 2500 miles and 1/32 on the rears). Tread depth when brand new was 23-24/32. My driving usually consists of a 24 mile - 1 way down a mountain pass to work and return with mixed city driving and Highway (about 50-50) each day. I have also made several trips to Salt lake City and Western Colorado towing no more than 9K. I run the tires at 35psi front unloaded and 31 psi rear unloaded. Tire pressure increases by an average of 4 psi on city streets below 50 mph after approx. 20 minutes of driving. Tire pressure increases by an average of 7 psi on the highway above 65 mph after 20 minutes of driving. I have yet to see a psi change above 7 psi over sustained highway speeds. Seems that the tires "settle in" and then maintain a constant temp and psi.

Off-road I have yet to really air down bellow 18 psi. I do not drive this truck fast over washboard roads and so the tire temp and psi change off-road seems to remain consistent with cold temp and psi. I will be headed up into Tin Cup Pass once again this weekend in an attempt to reach a few high mountain lakes for fishing. I will try dropping to 15 psi and watch the sidewalls.

Offroad traction: Dry dirt and aggregate (decomposed granite), the tires are very good as well is moderate sized aggregate and rock. The tires are not great in mud, thankfully I hate mud and avoid it like the plague (reference to the dark ages when the wheel was made of wood and iron). Last and least, snow, the tires clean out fine but I think could use siping if I was to drive on packed snow and ice for long periods of time... These things howl, they are very round, do not shake, and balance very well.... However, they howl like a super swamper...

Ravenmad

Observer
It was a busy day today.
TASK LIST:
Modify the AEV driving light brackets
Wire the JW Speaker 7inch. rounds into the factory AUX. harness with their own Relay and inline fuse.
Remove the Onboard Air lines and replace with high strength Air Brake Line hose, crimped fittings and #6 compression fittings.

But, first things first. I had a lengthy conversation with Randy Ellis Design last night. I am going to run their Sleeksters, however, they do not make them for a Prospector XL (AEV Highmark Fender Flares). This morning they contacted me and are sending me a set of sleeksters with a spare set of end caps so I can cut them to fit and weld new end caps on, then re-powedercoat. Truth be told, I will be taking pics and measurements of the mods and sending them back to them for their own reference. If I had been closer I would have just taken my truck to them, but, no such luck... Once the sliders are installed we are going to finish them by tying the bottom of the slider into the body mounts creating a continues smooth surface from the frame over to the pinch weld and up the body to the door. These will be "very" similar to what you would find on a jeep JK / and JL for rock sliders from NEMSIS Ind. No one does this and no one I've talked to has an interest in doing it, so I will.

The attached pick will give you and idea of what it will resemble. The Billy Rockers for a jeep angle over the the frame and what I will build for the truck will be flatter. I will make the bottom section bolt on so I can easily replace them if they get smashed, Im also thinking I will dimple die them and build in some rock lights.

Attachments

• 137300-2.jpg
    137300-2.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 127

Forum statistics

Threads