Ram 2500 XL for overland / expedition trips

Ravenmad

Observer
Wellllllll, I just got the phone call on the tires and wheels I ordered. Long story made short, Nitto does not make a 40 inch trail grappler for an 18 inch wheel. I get tires through a vendor, and when I was on the phone with them the other day they told me about this "now fictional" tire that they could get. Turns out, it was a typo..... SOOOOOOO, now Im back to the drawing board on tires and wheels. I really don't like the idea of running a 15.5 inch wide tire. As it turns out, if you want a 40 and a load capacity above 3195 pounds, then you will need to run a 20 inch wheel and if your going to run a 20 inch wheel then the tires are 15-15.5 inches wide. I would not even know what offset for a wheel to run in order to clear the Highmark fender from AEV. frustrating, why can't they make a 40x12.5x20 in a load range D or E????

Ravenmad

Observer
Its true, unless you are willing to run a 15.5 inch wide tire everything in load range C (3195 capacity) ... I really did consider 38s, but I already have the Highmark flares and 38s will look a "bit" small ... Vanity, its a wicked task master lolol I'll probably just settle for the 15.5 inch wide tires (20 inch wheels) so I can have a decent load capacity. Ill need to adjust to 4.56 gears to compensate and figure out what backspacing as a 15.5 will require a 12 inch wide wheel.

I can hear all the Mall Crawling jokes now from my friends
"do those wheels come with spinners"
"are you sure chrome wasn't an option, because I feel like your truck needs more chrome"
"I see a lot of those wheels on lifted impalas"

Explorerinil

Observer
Its true, unless you are willing to run a 15.5 inch wide tire everything in load range C (3195 capacity) ... I really did consider 38s, but I already have the Highmark flares and 38s will look a "bit" small ... Vanity, its a wicked task master lolol I'll probably just settle for the 15.5 inch wide tires (20 inch wheels) so I can have a decent load capacity. Ill need to adjust to 4.56 gears to compensate and figure out what backspacing as a 15.5 will require a 12 inch wide wheel.

I can hear all the Mall Crawling jokes now from my friends
"do those wheels come with spinners"
"are you sure chrome wasn't an option, because I feel like your truck needs more chrome"
"I see a lot of those wheels on lifted impalas"
Well prove them wrong, call stazworks get some custom 20 inch rims made

Ravenmad

Observer
Not to bad, 2500. for 5, shipped to the shop... Def. not a high speed tire, but most guys that run them on light trucks can cruise at 70mph.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
Not to bad, 2500. for 5, shipped to the shop... Def. not a high speed tire, but most guys that run them on light trucks can cruise at 70mph.
you gotta remember that that speed rating is for a full load as well. If I'm not mistaken, Earth Roamer uses those same tires on their trucks and does not adjust the 110MPH speed governor.

If you're going that big, might as well consider looking at Hutchinson 20x10 MRAP double beadlocks with 8-10lug adaptors milled from aluminum (also an earth roamer setup). They're 74lbs assembled.

Ravenmad

Observer
you gotta remember that that speed rating is for a full load as well. If I'm not mistaken, Earth Roamer uses those same tires on their trucks and does not adjust the 110MPH speed governor.

If you're going that big, might as well consider looking at Hutchinson 20x10 MRAP double beadlocks with 8-10lug adaptors milled from aluminum (also an earth roamer setup). They're 74lbs assembled.

Aren't those wheels like 10 Grand? and were do I find them???

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I don't think they are that high, but I could be wrong. I'd look at the gov't liquidation auction websites, craigslist, and possibly even call Earth Roamer and inquire about where they source theirs from.

Ravenmad

Observer
I don't think they are that high, but I could be wrong. I'd look at the gov't liquidation auction websites, craigslist, and possibly even call Earth Roamer and inquire about where they source theirs from.

Nice. I looked on the google machine and found a few sets of wheels but could not find the wheel adapters. Interesting tid bit, the tires look really heavy. But, oddly enough, they weigh 119.6 pounds each. a 40x15.5x20 Nitto trail grappler weighs 110.3 pounds.... Crazy, I was a little concerned about weight, but 9.3 pounds doesn't bother me.

I will call Earth Roamer and ask were they get their wheel adapters from. Thanks

Ravenmad

Observer
Your awesome. I will do some research, maybe I can find some local-ish at a surplus... Nothing like running a 180 pound tire and wheel combo... lolol

I am really hopeful I will have the truck done in time to take it to the Overland Expo in May...

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I can't make Expo West due to conflict of schedule and other commitments, but I will most certainly be at Expo East in the fall. I hope to meet some of you guys there.

Ravenmad

Observer
We should all (RAM Owners) plan a get together / trip....

I should be able to make it to Expo West and I'm set to go on the Idaho back country route trip in July. I would be game to take a long weekend and go somewhere. Just a thought...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy