Ram 2500 XL for overland / expedition trips

Explorerinil

Observer
Explorerinil, good point on the gears. I called and spoke to Diesel Power Products yesterday as well as AJ at Northridge. I think my two options for gears are factory AAM and Nitro gear. When I spoke to AEV last week they told me to run 4.30 gears (of course they are biased), but none the less, I won't be pulling a 17K 5th wheel or goose neck with 40 inch tires on the truck. I will however be loaded with a lot of gear and pulling a jeep on a tongue pull trailer as well as my offload trailer on occasion.

I think you are correct about the fuel tank. The more I think about it the more I would prefer to keep as much bed space available as possible, plus, it would be good to keep the weight of the tank and fuel as low (center of gravity wise) as possible without compromising clearance. I am working with Nemesis to build a set of skid plates for the truck and I don't think it will be that difficult to engineer a skid plate for the Titan spare tire fuel tank. In talking to the owner, I think it would be nice if they built a package for RAM trucks (expedition rack - skid plates for Engine, Trans, Tase, Fuel tanks maybe a cab mounted rack/basket and some storage solutions).

The RAM assist from PSC, is it a complete kit including the box or do you have to send them your box, they drill and tap, put the kit together and return to you ? I absolutely think it is a must, these trucks weigh a lot and I have to believe with all the weight and 40s it is going to want to chew up the steering gear and steering components.

Did you replace the factory ball joints in your truck with Carli ball joints? AEV sets the factory pieces are fine, but I am suspicious of that advice...
My ball joints are still stock, I will replace them once they fail with carli or dynatrac, I’ll do a free spin hub kit at the same time. Don’t be fooled, these stock ball joints, larger tires, heavy bumper and a winch will kill these ball joints quickly. When you rotate your tires, once the tire is off the ground grab the top with one hand and the bottom with the other, see if you get side to side movement... once you do replace them ASAP, I had once fail on the interstate and snap off once.

When I bought my parts from PSC, they sent me a new tapped gear box, they took the old one back and gave me cash back. There was 2 dirrerent rams when I bought mine, one with the larger piston ran slower, smaller piston ran quicker... me doing everything in overkill got the larger piston, I could feel the piston moving slower than the steering if you were steering fast. If I did it over again, I would get the larger piston ram every time. I could steer my truck easily with 36x14.50 tsl radials, which and bumper... truck steered like a sports car. I will put a psc hydro steering kit on my truck within the next year or so. Check AEV, I think they sell some of the parts, get on AEV forum, I think someone posted something awhile back.

Awesome truck and build, truck looks like mine, I’m partial to white dodge trucks! You just need a caravan camper shell now for the ultimate build.

Explorerinil

Observer
AEV uses 4.30 gears because thats the largest gear set that AAM sells. Anything larger than 4.30 comes from the aftermarket and are all foreign products.

the ram assist from PSC is either them taking a core charge on you and buying a new box from them while you send your old one back, sending yours in to be tapped, or contracting them to build you a billet box from scratch

one of my best friends has an XL, actually - the very first XL that AEV ever built (aev sold it to him once they were finished with it) and its set up really well with the 4.30's and the PSC hydro assist. I reccomend the setup. Looks like a damn dump truck with how big and blocky it is.
Check out nitro axle and gear, comparing their gears to factory dana’s and AAM gears, nitros look machined better to me, I’m not an expert by any means, but I can tell u that nitro makes good stuff.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
CJC Offroad posted that the AEV intakes don't provide enough air for full throttle high rpm runs with the 6.7.
I have Dynatrac's and would love some AEV Salta's but having all four machined isn't in the stars.
Method has some Standard machined wheels out @ 17 x 8.5 x 5.75 backspacing,just 1/4 " less backspacing.
Best of luck with the new truck!

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
My ball joints are still stock, I will replace them once they fail with carli or dynatrac, I’ll do a free spin hub kit at the same time. Don’t be fooled, these stock ball joints, larger tires, heavy bumper and a winch will kill these ball joints quickly. When you rotate your tires, once the tire is off the ground grab the top with one hand and the bottom with the other, see if you get side to side movement... once you do replace them ASAP, I had once fail on the interstate and snap off once.

not sure if you're aware, but the 2014+ trucks have different, larger ball joints than the previous years. i don't foresee ball joints or bearings being any real issue outside of normal wear and tear

Ravenmad

Observer
AEV uses 4.30 gears because thats the largest gear set that AAM sells. Anything larger than 4.30 comes from the aftermarket and are all foreign products.

the ram assist from PSC is either them taking a core charge on you and buying a new box from them while you send your old one back, sending yours in to be tapped, or contracting them to build you a billet box from scratch

one of my best friends has an XL, actually - the very first XL that AEV ever built (aev sold it to him once they were finished with it) and its set up really well with the 4.30's and the PSC hydro assist. I reccomend the setup. Looks like a damn dump truck with how big and blocky it is.

Everyone I have talked to has said Nitro Gear is good quality, they have a package deal for $1400. that gets you the gears, bearings, and install kits front and rear in the 4.30 ratio. I think I will just run the 4.30 ratio, 4.56 would be great, but 4.30 would allow me to run a 37-38 if I ever had to (it would look dumb for sure though).

Ravenmad

Observer
I got a "very good deal" on 40 inch Nitro Trail grapplers yesterday and a set of Black Rhino 18 x 9.5 wheels. I really wanted to run a beadlock wheel, but in the end I struggled to find a quality deadlock with the correct backspacing and a decent load capacity to match the tire. The Nitro 40x12.5x18 has a load capacity of 3950lbs. I considered the 40x15.5x20 with a load capacity of 4290lbs, but I really don't like a wide tire. Are most guy with XLs running the 17x10 AEV wheels?

Explorerinil

Observer
I am aware of the changes on the new radius arm trucks, I have read some failures with ball joints and hub bearings on various forums. In stock form I’m sure they will last longer than previous versions, however put the force a large heavy tire puts on the tre’s, hub bearings and ball joints and they won’t last as long.

Explorerinil

Observer
I got a "very good deal" on 40 inch Nitro Trail grapplers yesterday and a set of Black Rhino 18 x 9.5 wheels. I really wanted to run a beadlock wheel, but in the end I struggled to find a quality deadlock with the correct backspacing and a decent load capacity to match the tire. The Nitro 40x12.5x18 has a load capacity of 3950lbs. I considered the 40x15.5x20 with a load capacity of 4290lbs, but I really don't like a wide tire. Are most guy with XLs running the 17x10 AEV wheels?
Very cool! Yes they are running the 10 inch wide wheel.

Explorerinil

Observer
Everyone I have talked to has said Nitro Gear is good quality, they have a package deal for $1400. that gets you the gears, bearings, and install kits front and rear in the 4.30 ratio. I think I will just run the 4.30 ratio, 4.56 would be great, but 4.30 would allow me to run a 37-38 if I ever had to (it would look dumb for sure though).

Attachments

• FA56194F-AB88-4B43-976D-FC8C18BA7117.jpeg
    FA56194F-AB88-4B43-976D-FC8C18BA7117.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 108
  • F3C3644E-FF73-4446-8B5A-3E677CA126B2.jpeg
    F3C3644E-FF73-4446-8B5A-3E677CA126B2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 111

Explorerinil

Observer
Nitro 4:30 gears are the only 11.8 aftermarket gear, the rest are 11.5, you have a AAM 11.5 rear axle, if you get nitro 4:30 you will be upgraded to the 11.8 found in the Asian trucks

Attachments

• 2A40DD8B-233F-4251-94AD-7F7DF8981F4D.jpeg
    2A40DD8B-233F-4251-94AD-7F7DF8981F4D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 102

Explorerinil

Observer
CJC Offroad posted that the AEV intakes don't provide enough air for full throttle high rpm runs with the 6.7.
I have Dynatrac's and would love some AEV Salta's but having all four machined isn't in the stars.
Method has some Standard machined wheels out @ 17 x 8.5 x 5.75 backspacing,just 1/4 " less backspacing.
Best of luck with the new truck!
I have read that, doesn’t make sense since it flows more air. I’m gonna machine mine with a dremel tool once I get the hub kit... wish me luck!

I did a set of h2 wheels that way years ago and it worked out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy