Ram 2500 XL for overland / expedition trips

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
Your awesome. I will do some research, maybe I can find some local-ish at a surplus... Nothing like running a 180 pound tire and wheel combo... lolol

I am really hopeful I will have the truck done in time to take it to the Overland Expo in May...

its really not bad - my beadlock and tire combo (20x9.5 Trailready Beadlock / 37x13.50R20E Falken MT) weighs in at around 135lbs and i have a gas engine. you should hardly notice the difference once you re-gear to 4.56.

make sure you're looking for the aluminum version. Hutchinson did manufacture a steel version and they're unbearable.

Ravenmad

Observer
its really not bad - my beadlock and tire combo (20x9.5 Trailready Beadlock / 37x13.50R20E Falken MT) weighs in at around 135lbs and i have a gas engine. you should hardly notice the difference once you re-gear to 4.56.

make sure you're looking for the aluminum version. Hutchinson did manufacture a steel version and they're unbearable.

Sound advice. Do you think its worth looking into upgrading the brakes to deal with the extra rotating mass?
It honestly made me consider finding a 5500 front axle, building it and converting the single rear wheel to 10 lug, but I think thats just my tendency to overbuild when its not needed. I will be retiring from the Army by the end of the year and I plan on doing a lot of adventure camping and exploring with the necessary trip or two to alaska. Anyways, again, sound advice... Thank You

Im headed out today to look for wheels (aluminum)

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I'd upgrade your pads and see if you get any noticeable fade under load/heavy braking before you start to source a complete brake or axle upgrade.

I believe Skeeter Brush Trucks uses these same wheels in their brush fire truck builds as well, could be another source for parts/info.

Explorerinil

Observer
There
Sound advice. Do you think its worth looking into upgrading the brakes to deal with the extra rotating mass?
It honestly made me consider finding a 5500 front axle, building it and converting the single rear wheel to 10 lug, but I think thats just my tendency to overbuild when its not needed. I will be retiring from the Army by the end of the year and I plan on doing a lot of adventure camping and exploring with the necessary trip or two to alaska. Anyways, again, sound advice... Thank You

there are a ton of good brake upgrades available, I run ebc on my vehicles and recommend them.
https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/c-2246-2010-17-67l-dodge-cummins-performance-brakes.aspx

Diesel power products is a great company to deal with, they have never let me down.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast

i wouldn't think you would need any upgrades. I think a truss and maybe a dynatrac hub kit would make it pretty damn bulletproof

Explorerinil

Observer
i wouldn't think you would need any upgrades. I think a truss and maybe a dynatrac hub kit would make it pretty damn bulletproof
I agree! On a side note I have ran the dynatrac kit with the warn hubs and the dynalocks, I would recommend the dynalocks if your doing the kit. Only part you forgot was the ball joints... dynatrac and carli make great sets.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
I agree! On a side note I have ran the dynatrac kit with the warn hubs and the dynalocks, I would recommend the dynalocks if your doing the kit. Only part you forgot was the ball joints... dynatrac and carli make great sets.

i wasn't aware that the 2014+ had aftermarket BJ's yet

Ravenmad

Observer
On the search for the correct Hutchinson 20 inch deadlocks and spacers. For the time being I settled on some street wheels because I got a "very" good deal on them. Black Rhino Armory wheels in a 20x9.5 flavor with -18mm backspacing. They have a very mechanical look, albeit not a bead lock wheel they will do until I find a pristine set of 20 inch Hutchinson wheels and spacers. truck-wheels-rims-black-rhino-armory-8-lug-desert-sand-std-org.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I approve, I've always liked those wheels, they give it a very military or industrial look. I considered them for my Super Duty at one time.

Ravenmad

Observer
Just got off the phone with diesel power products and paid for some of the last parts I need.

Dynatrac Ball joints
Nitro Gear 4.88 gears and master install kit
ARB locker for the front
ARB Dual compressor
PSC full hydro assist steering system with AEV parts

4.30 gear were on the original menu as per AEV recommendation, however, after a conversation with Diesel Power Products I decided to go with 4.88s. The MPT 81 is just shy of a 41 inch tall tire, plus, the cummins wants to run between 18-2100 rpms when towing, so that puts me at 150 at 70 mph. Plus the tire is speed rated for 68 mph at max load (which I will never get close to).

I kept the rear factory limited slip that comes with the 4x4 offload package. IT is not positive like the ARB, however, for towing and cruising I think it will be fine. I won't be rock crawling with my truck and if I find myself in MOAB enjoying the scenery it will have to do.

I have a call into RCV about a set of 300M axles for the front to work with a dynatrac free spin kit, we will see what they say tomorrow hopefully.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Those -18 wheels might be tough to fit without mucho trimming. Probably even so with the XL kit. The normal best fitment on Rams comes from +25 to +18 or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy