Random.....Old Mining Town Pics....!

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
How come companies are allowed to leave there trash, equipment, infrastructure like that? Usually when a company close a plant they either have to sell or dimolish and pick up there trash. Sure make intersting sight seeing tho.

Things were different a hundred years ago.

Now days, mines or prospective miners (even small scale) have to post a reclamation bond, insuring they will restore the area after mining ceases.

I for one find it extremely ironic that some of our the most prized areas to explore are the trash heaps of those before us. I can't even imagine the future will say the same thing about us?

DrMoab

Explorer
How come companies are allowed to leave there trash, equipment, infrastructure like that? Usually when a company close a plant they either have to sell or dimolish and pick up there trash. Sure make intersting sight seeing tho.

In todays world maybe. Remember that this was mostly 50-150 years ago. The same rules didn't apply.

Personally I'm glad they left their trash laying around. I can't imagine how boring Silverton Colorado would be without all the old interesting junk laying around.

mountainsoul

Adventurer
Wow, just stumbled across this great thread. I am also fascinated by old mining towns. Awesome pics people...keep 'em coming!

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
I should probably start posting photos of the town we live in now. Its not a mining town, but in a few weeks when the oil hits the shores, its going to be a ghost town :(

Wander

Expedition Leader
I hate the hear it Pat but I fear you're right. I know you're having trouble finding volunteer opportunities but let me know if something comes up, I'd like to take some time off and help.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Every place we call basically says that till the leak stops, there isnt much to do?????

Because it's a HAZMAT and Government, it's not like you can just go down on the beach and start picking up the tar balls???

Very frustrating to just sit back and watch it unfold.

Wander

Expedition Leader
Not to get too OT on this thread but that is also what I am hearing-no one is out cleaning and the health problems some of those that are on the scene have been kept quiet. The photo op-people in white suits picking up tar on the beaches-have been just that-photo op's and not sustained. I don't get it and wonder if there is something we are not being told? It is pretty upsetting at the least.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Rhyolite, Nevada old train station....

2008_0331PanamintSFKernRiver0057.jpg

This old building was actually for sale when I was there. See old town buildings in the background to the left.

2008_0331PanamintSFKernRiver0033.jpg

The Bottle House

2008_0331PanamintSFKernRiver0032.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

sjk99

Adventurer
Sorry for the colors, these are scans of old photos. :(

Hopewell, Az. Site of the ore haulage tunnel for the United Verde Mine (under the open pit above Jerome.) Ore was transferred from mine cars to rail cars for the trip down the hill to the smelter in Clarkdale. The building is the shell of the electrical substation. At the peak between 75 and 100 people lived here. This was taken in the mid 80s. Looking at Google Earth now they appear to have stopped the orange crush outflow.

4713506516_e5a5ee33ef_o.jpg

Tunnel entrance.

4712869039_2b361e1d02_o.jpg

Inside the substation.

4713506640_de0c81ef50_b.jpg

Base of the ore transfer structure. Mine cars pulled in on top of a trestle with air actuated dump bodies, the rail cars were underneath. Old school riveted I-beam.

4712869137_4d6fda0de2_o.jpg

==============================================================

Down the hill from Jerome near where 89A makes a 90 degree turn to go up the hill is where the United Verde Extension mine (the one by the white Douglas Mansion / Jerome Histoic State Park) had their haulage tunnel named the Josephine Tunnel.

4713506942_487258399c_o.jpg

4712868879_89dd4d7757_b.jpg

4713507014_7166658e26_o.jpg

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Not exactly pictures but some highlight video from the 1st annual National Historic Mine Initiative conference this last weekend:

The conference was excellent, speakers on everything from mine exploration to treasures :cool:

You can see the highlight reel here:
YouTube Link

Highlight reel from the 2010 first annual National Historic Mining Initiative Western Conference. The conference was held at the beautiful Westgate resort in Park City Utah and featured a variety of distinguished speakers. This year's conference sponsors were: Natures Nuggets, The Charles Red Center for Western Studies at BYU, Gold Rush Expeditions, Expedition Utah, Adopt a Mine, and Mojave Underground.

sjk99

Adventurer
More from Jerome, AZ

The surface shops at the 500 foot level of the United Verde in Jerome, AZ. Again, sorry for the colors, old photo scans again.

4713507822_01849dbe41_o.jpg

The "S" curve at center left is the Verde Tunnel & Smelter rail bed coming up from the Clarkdale via Hopewell.

Closer view of the 500 foot level shops showing the foundations of the powerhouse (now filled in,) a warehouse, pipe shop and electrical shop.

4712869377_a8fc915e71_b.jpg

Moving on to Bisbee. Taken around 1984 from the south side of the pit.

4719747804_f02806f86d_o.jpg

Wander

Expedition Leader
It is so interesting to me to see how well things are preserved out west. Here in the east old buildings, if they still stand are quickly claimed by the vines, bushes and trees so that you have to know where something is to find it as the over growth hides it. This is not a mine but rather and old barn that was still being used to some extent but you can see how quickly the undergrowth is moving in.

Attachments

• DSC_1123.JPG
    DSC_1123.JPG
    855.4 KB · Views: 23

Abel Villesca

Explorer
Chloride, NM

I hope this isn't too wordy for a pics thread. The following is an excerpt from one of my NM trip reports.
----
Chloride was "established" by Harry Pye. He was a mule skinner hauling freight for the Army to Ojo Caliente in 1879. One evening he took shelter from roaming Apaches in the canyon and in the morning discovered silver chloride. He did not live to see the tent city and subsequent buildings at Chloride. A few months after staking his claim he and his party were killed by Apaches.

Tension between Apaches and settlers was high in the area at that time. In 1890 another miner, Oscar Pfotenhauer, was attacked and killed by Apaches in the hills around Chloride. His simple grave marker states his name, birth date and date of death. On the back it states, "Killed by Indians".

As more settlers, miners and ranchers moved in to the area tension and hostilities increased. The newcomers were encroaching on Apache ancestral territory and depredating the game in the area. In 1891 all of the ranching and mining communities of the Mogollon rim were in a high state of alert due to the Warm Springs Apache uprising.

Many of the buildings in Chloride have been purchased by the Edmond's. They have been restoring the buildings for several years to preserve the mining heritage of the area. The few folks I met were very friendly. They showed me around the Monte Cristo Saloon (now a gallery) and the Pioneer Store.

100_1251.JPG

100_1250.JPG

A corner of the Pioneer Store served as the Chloride Post Office

100_1245.JPG

100_1246.JPG

In 1927 the owner of the Pioneer Store sealed it up with everything inside and moved away. The Edmonds purchased it lock stock and barrel with all of the goods inside. After much cleaning and restoration work they've opened it as a museum.

100_1247.JPG

100_1248.JPG

100_1249.JPG

A few of the other structures in Chloride:

Clockwise from left - Mining Headquarters, Miner's Cabin (1880s), 1st Building in Chloride

Someone has a sense of humor as evidenced by the ironic placement of the satellite television dish on the outhouse between two of the buildings.

100_1253.JPG

Collapsing structures across the street from the Pioneer Store

100_1255.JPG

This Bank failed before it ever opened

100_1256.JPG

One of Chloride's early saloons

100_1257.JPG

Chloride's best days were in the 1880s. At its height the mining town boasted of three stores, eight saloons, two butcher shops, a hotel, at least one brothel, a millinery store, a laundry and an assay office.

In the mid 1890s the US Government selected gold as the monetary standard and the price of silver plunged. Chloride, like other silver mining towns, began its decline and was a quiet town by the early 1900s.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

There have been several trips lately.

Post up!:ylsmoke:

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
There have been several trips lately.

Post up!:ylsmoke:

I just got back from CO, but all the mines we saw, are already posted here:snorkel:

Really cool to see the other pics, it's amazing to think about what these miners and other townsfolk went through on a daily basis.

Not to mention, the teamsters hauling everything up those passes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal