• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
2608801370034696539agwcye2.jpg

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
DesertRose said:
Random Shots: diesel Toyota HiLuxes Kenya, ca. July 2007 - Eezi Awn roof tents, Engel fridges, full safari kit . . . exploratory Mara to Amboseli:

Breathing in the dust of Kilimanjaro . . . on the way into Amboseli across the ancient Lake Amboseli bed, by the western "road," through Maasailand.

amboseli2.jpg

Camp at the Kenya Wildlife Service Campground. Pretty vile long-drop, but the view of Kilimanjaro at dawn was pretty amazing. The Roof of Africa looms in the mist just above the tree.

kili_camp.jpg

Here she is, dropping her veil for about 2 minutes at dawn, then in cloudveil all day again . . .

kili_dawn.jpg

Another view of camp:

kili_camp2.jpg

More details of the expedition in the 2007 Fall issue of Overland Journal.

Your the only other I know that uses the Garmin 276c

Aaron

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
xcmountain80 said:

Aaron

I recently had a opportunity to test drive a few different GPS units. The 276c is my absolute, hands down favorite. I just wish you could get the DeLorme software into the Garmin GPS....that would be the schiz-nitz right there.

While some of the other units I played with had some really cool features, for my use, and my personal likes/dislikes, the 276c is simply the best thing going right now.

Anyone looking at GPS units should take the time to play with a few different units before buying. It really is the only way you will find out what really is the best for *you*.

Now all I gotta do is find a way to distract Roseann for a few seconds while I quietly hi-jack her GPS.:hehe:

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Here's some shots from last evening. I was teaching Dana the basics of driving offroad in a dune area. She did great and had fun too.

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
xcmountain80 said:

Aaron

Look for an upcoming test and review in the Fall Overland Journal!

It is a great unit IMO - I agree with Brian. I used it with MacGPSPro with my Powerbook for really useful realtime tracking, since Garmin had not yet come out with the map-translation software and I couldn't upload an Africa base map. Right after I got home they released some software to make Garmin-compatible maps uploadable via Mac - haven't tested it yet.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
upcruiser said:
Here's some shots from last evening. I was teaching Dana the basics of driving offroad in a dune area. She did great and had fun too.

Dang, that's a good looking rig dude. I guess im partial lol

80frontpr5jm6.jpg

MossMan

Adventurer
pwc said:
Thanks! Ithink it was about a 30 second shot, or maybe 15 judging from the star movement. We attched the camera to a telescope tripod (never did get teh telescope all the way out), held it in place while painting the trucks with headlamps

That's a helluva photo. When you say paint, did you leave the lights shining on the trucks the whole time or just for a portion of the exp. time?

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
SOCALFJ said:
Dang, that's a good looking rig dude. I guess im partial lol

80frontpr5jm6.jpg

Not too shabby yourself! haha, actually your rig is a source of inspiration for me. If I didn't have to make so many compromises to meet so many needs with my truck, I'd be doing more of the upgrades that you've done with yours. Yours 80 is like Spinal Tap's amp that goes to 11.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Oh man there are some beautiful rigs in this thread. I have been through a bunch of trucks before finaly finding
"the one". I have had several Series 2 Land Rovers, Toyota 4runner (the most dependable 220 on the same clutch), Defender 90, Range Rover Classic, Willy's Overland, Suzuki Samurai and Land Rover Discovery. This is my keeper. I beat the crap out of it and it just goes and goes.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater