Real Time? Mac Pro or G5

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
As my daughter would say,
SCORE!!!
Way to go, Scott!
You are going to be soooo happy with this system.
Congrats!
Keep us informed...

Ed

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Excellent Scott - too bad about the Rover though (although the Rover would have cost a lot more in the long run).

I got so sucked into my advice to you, that as we speak I'm setting up a new 20-inch iMac (got it on close out) and am preparing to install Aperture, which I have been lusting over for so long.

That 24 is going to be sweet - hopefully all the advice offered and given will not have lead you astray.

Jeff

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
jeffryscott said:
Excellent Scott - too bad about the Rover though

:iagree:

Just remember to profile that monitor, and do it soon so if for what ever reason you can't profile it you can exchange it.

As hard as it was to let the Rover go, the iMac will probably make you more money.

Scott Brady

Founder
jeffryscott said:
I got so sucked into my advice to you, that as we speak I'm setting up a new 20-inch iMac (got it on close out) and am preparing to install Aperture, which I have been lusting over for so long.

Jeff,

Please keep me informed of Aperture and your impressions. I have heard mixed reviews, but also fell in love at this springs Educause conference.

jeffryscott

First impressions: it is slow, but absolutely fabulous.

I've tried many different cataloging programs for my pictures and this is by far the smartest and easiest to use. I am in the midst of organizing years of scans and digital images and I've made more headway in 12-hours than I have in years of burning things to CD, storing them on hard drives ...

Definitely add it to your list ... by the same token, play with Adobe Lightroom as well (I've not fallen for it like I have Aperture, but it is a very nice program. And to be fair, I've not tried organizing things with it as it is only Beta and I didn't want to get sucked into it until it is final - don't want to risk work getting lost or not transferring to the release or expiring when the beta expires).

I'll post more impressions later,

Jeff

Scott Brady

Founder
Thanks for the feedback Jeff.

How does it interface with PS CS2? (or does it).

To me, the functionalities of Aperture are even more appealing than a new version of PS, as I do very little work flow image adjustment. I am an "old school" photographer that uses filters and does bracketing, etc.

My biggest issue is 700 gig of images to organize and rank. I know I have thousands of images that are junk, and just need to be tossed.

Any new thoughts after having used it for a few more days?

I am about ready to pull the trigger on it.

The iMac arrives on the 26th :)

jeffryscott

still playing with it, but my impression is if you don't need to do much to your images, Aperture alone would be fine. It gives you the basics of image manipulation without the need for Photoshop.

I'd say just from the organizational aspects, it is worth every penny. I've used a variety of programs - iView Multimedia, etc ... and none compare to Aperture from that aspect.

If you need Photoshop, you can always spring for it - or for that matter, Photoshop Elements. Even in my line of work, Elements would do 90 percent or more of what I need it to do.

Go for it, it will go nicely with the new iMac.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
I have used iView and though it was pretty good for cataloging - and for the past years have used iPhoto for simple photo access - but as of late iPhoto on my intel Mac's have been having issues - what do you like about Apertures cataloging?

jeffryscott

What do I like about it: well, first thing to pop in my head is the flexibility - having all my photos available to me in one place, yet in separate folders.

Kind of hard to describe - go through the tutorial online if you haven't done so: http://www.apple.com/aperture/resources/tutorial/

This program can do so many things. I'm still working on importing and organizing projects, so I haven't really looked beyond the organizational aspect.

Scott Brady

Founder
first post from the Mac. I have to set about 10 feet back from this screen though :)

Quality, ease of set-up and one beautiful monitor. Just need some software now to really check it out.

blupaddler

Conspirator
Congrats on the Mac Scott!!!

I really dig the 24"
Just trying to figure out if I NEED or WANT one

BTW...Sorry about the LR. Nice color too! A bit high on the mileage though.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
I'll be right over :) BIG congratulations on the sweet machine!

You have iMovie -iDVD - iPhoto - and a few other cool apps to have fun with when you are ready ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach