Rear bumper swingout Pics

pb_beaker

Observer
Im am currently trying to figure out what type I want. I do know I want it to hold gas/ water cans, axe, shovel, hi-lift, etc. Everything but a tire cause my tiire is inside. Please post up pics of swingouts that meet or exceed the above. By the way, its for an XJ.

Bryan :coffeedrink:

idaxj97

Adventurer
well here is mine that i had built it can hold 2 jerry cans and hi-lift.

086.jpg

087.jpg

Azlugz

Adventurer
Mine has the Spare, but that space could be used by a jack and shovels. Don't think i have ever seen a swing away that wasn't used for the spare?!?!?!?

DSC00118.jpg

DSC00072-800.JPG

alexfm

Explorer
I dont have a swingout yet, but there are definitely some good ideas here. Im gonna haijack the thread for a second here, and ask something. YOu guys that posted that have the spare on your swingaway, how's your visibility out the back window? That's something Im really concerned about with a lot of the aftermarket, premade bumpers. The sit the tire up really high, and block out almost the whole window. Ok, hijack off. :snorkel:

:D Thanks.
Alex.

idaxj97

Adventurer
When i had my bumper built the guy who built it asked me if i wanted the spare tire on the driver side because of exactly what you asked about. I liked the tire on the pass. side because i think it looks better on that side. I did loose quite a bit of visibility out the back on the pass. side but its something that grows on you, i have become so use to it that I dont think about it. hopefully thats helps you out.

Azlugz

Adventurer
I dont have a swingout yet, but there are definitely some good ideas here. Im gonna haijack the thread for a second here, and ask something. YOu guys that posted that have the spare on your swingaway, how's your visibility out the back window? That's something Im really concerned about with a lot of the aftermarket, premade bumpers. The sit the tire up really high, and block out almost the whole window. Ok, hijack off. :snorkel:

:D Thanks.
Alex.

When Doc built mine, he kept it low and to the side enough where there is not too much interference with the rear view. It is definatly in the way, but I can see enough around it that it is fine and you get used to it real quick. My LJ rear window was almost useless due to the stuff mounted on the rear rack in the center, so if anything, I can see more now!!!!

DSC00065.jpg

almac

my van had a custom rear when i bought it.
DELICA015-1.jpg

im pretty happy with it except that my rear ladder would get in the way of mounting a jerry can(which i want:drool:), and that the spare is on a pivot to allow the swing to open without the spare damaging the body when it opens...

ive been thinking of lengthening the pivot arm so that the "pivot bearing" is further to the right, to allow it to swing open without the pivot. this would allow me to move the spare more right, and allow me to mount a jerry can between the spare and the ladder. (at least in theory)

nightfoam

Adventurer
I just installed this yesterday. I've still got to do a little modification to the swingout so it isnt painted yet. It would be easy to modify it and I'm confident it is bomb proof

swingout.jpg

ox4mag

Explorer
When Doc built mine, he kept it low and to the side enough where there is not too much interference with the rear view. It is definatly in the way, but I can see enough around it that it is fine and you get used to it real quick. My LJ rear window was almost useless due to the stuff mounted on the rear rack in the center, so if anything, I can see more now!!!!

DSC00065.jpg

Now that is one fine looking rear bumper you've got there! :victory:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
CHeck out the Hanson rear bumper. It's very stout, but well proportioned, and the tire carrier is pretty decent. I have one, but its a TJ so not directly applicable for picture posting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk