Rear bumper swingout Pics

stevieboy

This might be a possibility. I just installed a Detours TailBone. You could have Detours modify it to your specs. Mark at Detours is great to work with on special projects. Here's a look at mine:
_DSC1074.jpg

_DSC1094.jpg

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
That Detours tire carrier is the schiznit, that is the next item on the list for my jeep! I'm planning on making a gas can carrier to go just right of the tire as long as it doesn't impede swinging the thing out far enough to clear the back hatch.

photoman

Explorer
This is on a old Bronco but this is what I really want to put on my XJ

rear_plate_tire_carry_close.jpg

Dual gate- one for tire and jack- one for 2 jerry cans w/ medium ice chest above them

Anyone know why it hasn't been done on an XJ yet?

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
The Kaymar and TJM carriers were setup that way. I don't think either is in production any more.

I like the idea provided the "non-tire" side can be removed for every day use. Having to open both sides every time you need to get into the back when using the Jeep as a daily driver would get pretty old pretty quick I'd think.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
thats the main reason i got sick of my rear swing out tire carrier. its a pain to get in and out of all the time.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
thats the main reason i got sick of my rear swing out tire carrier. its a pain to get in and out of all the time.

It seems like most of them are pretty easy to remove the carrier, so if you are going to the grocery store or something wouldn't be too bad if you could take it off.

photoman

Explorer
The Kaymar and TJM carriers were setup that way. I don't think either is in production any more.

I like the idea provided the "non-tire" side can be removed for every day use. Having to open both sides every time you need to get into the back when using the Jeep as a daily driver would get pretty old pretty quick I'd think.

Mine is not a daily driver. When I am on a trip I put all the things I do not need until setting up camp in the back. My camera gear and snacks go on the back seat whether it is up or folded down.

I like the ice chest on the back for day trips so you don't have to open the hatch to get to a cold drink. For longer trips it would make for a good area to stack some firewood.

I do like the idea of being able to quickly remove either side though. I'll have to make sure mine gets built that way.

pb_beaker

Observer
This is on a old Bronco but this is what I really want to put on my XJ

rear_plate_tire_carry_close.jpg

Dual gate- one for tire and jack- one for 2 jerry cans w/ medium ice chest above them

Anyone know why it hasn't been done on an XJ yet?

now thats a great idea, a dual swing out!!

shogun

Adventurer
now thats a great idea, a dual swing out!!

Thats a ProtoFab bumper, available for XJ and others (AFAIK).

Frankly, I like the half swing arm idea. Easier to open in parking lots, doesnt stick way out which means not disconnecting the trailer just to open hatch.

I have been getting beat up on the hinge issue. Guys that do spindles claim they never break, guys that dont, claim they do. I have one broken already and dont want to invest $400+ on another temporary fix. I wonder if they dont break because thats what they build, or if thats what they build because they dont break.

I am considering the HMMWV type carrier. I have lots of time on them with tires weighing 135#, no breakage yet. And they dont use bearings (which are kinda silly because they dont "spin" much anyway). They simply slide down into a sleeve, which means they can be removed (or reconfigured) without tools in minutes.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
logans metal fab, who made my front bumper, can make a single tire carrier for about $600.00, and a dual for about $900. I talked to Jamie about it last week actually. (She's super easy to work with.) Comes with grade 8 hardware, too.

one side would be the tire, one side could be one of several things: cooler, storage box, or jerry cans. They said specifically that they wouldn't be able to integrate a jack mount. Not sure why...

I'm very happy with my front bumper from them. Apparently this bumper uses the eight stock bumper mounting points and ties into the hitch mount holes using the stock nutstrips for strength (equaling, what, like 12-16 bolts?). The bumper has an integrated, non-rated hitch. (bumper only is around $300.00 or so, I think. It's plate and very well formed.

I like the simplicity of that kaymar setup, too, though.

regards, Brian

p.s. Here's the link...http://logansmetals4x4.com/id8.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal