REAR SUSPENSION HELP!!

HuckFinn

I've got a '10 Tacoma with a Leer camper shell on the back. I do a ton of camping and climbing trips out of the truck and between the gear and the shell, the back end sags pretty good on me. As far as off-road travel goes, I'm generally on service roads and light-to-moderate jeep trails. No crazy wheeling for me. I'm looking at putting a set of the Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags on to level things out but I'm wondering if this is the best way to go or if there's something else I ought to check into or consider. A stiffer leaf pack has been suggested (and seriously considered) but I think I like the versatility of the airbag. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

-Huck

“Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn; my God do you learn.” C.S. Lewis

ANDYROO

Adventurer
Huck, I have the same rig and a Snugtop. Like you I'm generally on easy to moderate trails and definitely loaded up with Engel fridge and camping gear. The weight adds up fast so to get the best ride with your loaded truck my advice is go OME Dakar with AAL and Nitro Sports shocks. I put them on in Dec and just did a 2000 mile trip from San Diego to Moab.....off and on road the suspension was awesome (and we were very loaded up!) Give Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters a call and he'll get you sorted....

Good luck

Andy

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
One additional free option is to take the truck to Toyota and see if you can get them to perform the harsh ride TSB. This will give you a four leaf spring pack instead of the crappy stock three leaf pack. This would not be as heavy duty an option but would certainly improve the load carrying capacity of the vehicle.

Sent via fat thumb

obscurotron

Adventurer
After searching and searching other forums, I settled on the Firestone airbags, too. In fact, I just got them - they're still in the box next to me.

AALs will eventually sag, too. A new leaf pack like the Dakar stuff is nice, but with the bags you'll get versatility, like you said. A truck full of camping gear one weekend, and a truck full of broke concrete and brick the next means there is no "one size fits all" solution, at least for me.

I also stick to fire roads and moderate trails - no rock climbing or anything like that. With luck I'll put them in once we have a somewhat warm and dry weekend. The minimum PSI for them is, I think, 5. So you may get a little lift from them, but not much. If you go up to 15-20, you may see a 1-1.25" increase in rear ride height, depending on the load.

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
I've had air bags in my Sequoia since 2004. I do not mis-treat them, but I probably only inflate them 2X per year. They have held up well. Just assure you mount them properly, and assure the inflation hoses are pushed in all the way in the fittings.
I did have a problem with the caps on the schraeder stems sticking, due to not removing them often enough. They are located under the bumper, either side of the hitch. Far enough away to be accessible, but close to avoid debris/things that would claw at them. They are in the road spray whenever on the road and it is wet, summer or winter.
I put an inflate conection for each bag. If I had to do it again, I would probably join them with a tee, so they inflated evenly. Yes, some people state separate to level side to side. The only time I had that problem was when I inflated them to different pressures.

I suggest bags vs. heavier springs. Once you put in higher rate springs (leaf) they will be there loaded or unloaded. When I had my F350, it rode much nicer when I had a load in it. Not so much when empty. I had an F-550 with a rear suspension air bag system (leafs completely removed). It rode much better than my F350, and really did not feel much different when empty or loaded with a 22K pound fifth whel RV trailer. That trailer made my F350 ride really smoothly!

One thing to look out for is shock absorber rate. When inflated, you are effectively increasing the "spring rate". This will yield more "rebound bounce", which may be noticeable, maybe not. I feel the additional rate, and think my shocks are getting worn. When de-flated, the shocks go back to working properly. May think about changing shocks.

Also, the air bags do NOT increase the rear axle capacity (GAWR), just level the truck.

HuckFinn

Hey thanks for all the input fellas! I'll have to take a look into that TSB option with Toyota but I'm thinking I may go ahead with the airbags. The ability to adjust to different loads in the truck seems to be the best route for me.

soonenough

Explorer
x3 I've got a Leer shell and lots of gear in back and this takes care of the problem. I have yet to add the Dakar extra leaf but will in the near future. Ron
x4, I have a DCSB Tacoma w/ a Leer 100R shell, and I'm running the OME Dakar rear leaves with the OME AAL. They handle a lot of weight really well, and the ride with the bed empty isn't too rough either.

I'm sure the airbags will work well too, I just prefer the simplicity of leaves. Either way, I think you'll be happy.

Vantage

Adventurer

07longbed

I have the Firestone bags, I like the adjustability of ride height/leveling but they do make the rear end very stiff and a little bouncy- even with very low pressures. I have bilstein 5100 shocks. I think if you have a separate valve for the left and right sides it helps with body roll with a heavy load. If I could do it over I'd probably add a ball valve that could connect the left and right sides together for more articulation off road.

lodi781

...My work of art
I have an 08 short bed 4 dr. with a Leer 180 top. I use a dakar leaf with the nitro's and no ALL and i've been fine. I don't do heavy wheeling. My truck is more a road trip truck that can go off road when i'm in a state park or something, but no rock crawling of any kind...I love the set up and have had no problems....they do squeak a little....

gfiero

Adventurer
I have the 07 DCSB with the dakars and airbags, and have now had two bag failures, pin holes. I am looking at the AAL. or a modifing the schackle. I am following this tread for information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3