Rebuilding my *free* 8724 winch.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
I know there are many good write ups and info on the web about this winch, and they have been helpful to me. I just figured i would post up some pictures of the process of my rebuild.

The short story: My fathers buddy got a 81 CJ7 and decided to have my dad restore it for him. It came with a Warn 8724 Winch, and he didnt want it. This guy and my dad have been buds since I before I was born, and he is kinda like an uncle. So, when I showed interest in the winch (trying to contain the drool when I saw it) he said I could have it since it was ugly and he didnt want it on his jeep. He is a retired cop, about 65 years old, and this jeep will never see a dirt road, much less off roading. So I threw it in the back of my XJ, saving it for a future project.

I picked it up from him at about the same time I was getting ready to move back to the US, so it was going to be a few months before I got around to it.

Well, fast forward to 4 months later. I got it torn apart, and ready for the bead blaster. My pops just got a new huge bead blast cabinet at his shop, so I am going to test it out with a box of winch parts.

Here's what an 8274 looks like when its apart...

The winch is surprisingly good shape, just needs a good cleaning and some paint. I am ordering a lower end rebuild kit (seals and bushings) but everything else looks ok. The inside of the motor looks to be darn near new, although the outside looks like it spent some time on the bottom of the ocean. I think it'll be fine though.

On to the pics:

DSCN1126.jpg

DSCN1127.jpg

DSCN1128.jpg

DSCN1129.jpg

Here is the armatur, I will throw it in the lathe and get the comm nice and shiny and straight.

DSCN1131.jpg

Brush plate looks new.

DSCN1132.jpg

Will post some pictures once once I get it all cleaned up and painted.

~James

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I love those old winches. They are fast and I like the way they sound when under different loads. You can hear them work. Cool thread and I hope we get to see it get built.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Yep, its getting built as I type this. I will post an update when its all said and done with pictures.

~James

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I don't think the old ones are called the 8274 I think they are simply called an "overhead". I also have one from this era that needs a rebuild, good stuff :) It's been sitting for at least 10 years dead...

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
This one has 8274 stamped on the top half of the cover. Hard to read, but its there. I am not sure of the vintage, but its in pretty good shape considering how old I *think* it is. The one in that video they 'rebuilt' looked almost new to me...lol. I will say this, the drivetrain in these things are beefy!

I am going to paint it to look like the newer ones, with a dark gunmetal look. Need to get a couple more items bead blasted, then I can start putting it all back together.

~James

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Finally got around to taking a few pictures. I got the winch blasted, cleaned, painted and put back together. I am re-wiring the solenoid pack now, then will fill it full of line and get it mounted. Turned out pretty snazzy for an old winch that had been put out to pasture.

DSCN1304.jpg

DSCN1305.jpg

DSCN1306-1.jpg

DSCN1310.jpg

DSCN1311.jpg

DSCN1312.jpg

DSCN1306.jpg

drifter-co

Hey StumpXJ — just came across this thread, excellent build. I just picked up an old 8274 today and need to start restoring it. What did you use to paint yours? It came out great. If you wouldn't mind explaining your process I would appreciate it!

dp7197

Adventurer
Looks really good. Warn has a nice write-up that you can use to figure out the age of your winch:

http://www.warn.com/blog/2011/03/02/the_history_of_the_warn_m8274_winch.shtml

Since it has the metal cover for the plug I would venture to say late '70s. Just a guess. I have gotten three over the years at fantastic prices and then rebuilt them. Your options are pretty limited for bumper and mounts depending on what you mount it on, but that is the price you pay for owning a 8274.

Make sure you put the proper oil in it and get yourself some nice synthetic line for it. You could also replace your solenoids with a contactor to update - I have yet to do this to mine.

Keep the updates coming.

Attachments

• 8274.3.JPG
    8274.3.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 17

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal