Refreshing the TJ - Build Thread

GP'd

Adventurer
Hey Guys!

Thank you for the interest in this build! A lot has happend since June, however it has mostly been maintenance and discovering the weak links in the build last year. The better half and I have been drawing up what we need out of an adventure vehicle lately so the next stages are not far off!

I had an article published in the October/November JP Freek Magazine if you would like to read up on my latest adventure.

Pictures of the Jeep are on the cover, title page and article in Page 18.

October/November JPFreek

I hope to have more up lately; thank you again for the support!

Last edited:

GP'd

Adventurer
Well. Stage 2 has officially begun:

P1040517_zpsc9422150.jpg

Garvin Wilderness Rack has been removed. Gas mileage increase ~1-1.5 MPG @ 75 MPH on a recent trip.

Interior has been torn out to make way for a roll cage.

It will be part Synergy Suspension Cage (PPM-5203) part custom fabrication. In addition I will be using Synergy's A-Pillar Cage Tie in (PPM-5205) and Harness Bar (PPM-5200). For the B & C pillars I will be using SWAG Offroad's Roll Cage Tie in. My hopes are to also pull a tube from the A Pillars through the firewall and attach them to the front frame near the coil buckets.

New Tools for the project :
Pro Tools 105 Die (1.75" x 6" CLR x 90º)
JD Squared Notchmaster
Swag Offroad Reach Around

Once the cage is in place, I will design the rear drawer system and storage solutions.

Cage Build Goals:
Provide the most amount of passenger security.
Keep entry and exit into the vehicle comfortable.
Increasing storage compartmentalization and organization.

More details to follow.

Last edited:

GP'd

Adventurer
...4 Hours later...

the factory roll bar, if you can call it that, is out. I had originally planned on integrating the front roll cage into the factory bar and reinforcing where I saw fit. After removing all the padding and lifting the cage out of the jeep without issue, I am glad I didn't. Flimsy piece of metal.

A few tips if you find yourself diving in this far.

The B-Pillar base is covered in a foamy glue.

Use a cold chisel and follow the outline of the bolts and washers and base plates.

P1040525_zps6da93296.jpg

Use a dental tool or awl to pick what you can out of the torx hole. Then gently hammer the torx bit into the bolt. I used a 1.5" foot piece of tubing as a breaker bar to knock these guy loose. One of the vertical tub side bolts stripped on me, so I had to drill out and cold chisel the head off then used a bolt extractor to get the thread from the tub.

P1040527_zps011fb232.jpg

There is a large security torx upright on the B Pillar. If you don't have the bit use a large vicegrip.

Now with all bolts out, drive the cold chisel under the B-Pillar plate. The glue you have removed around the plate is also below sandwiched between the floorboard. A few 5lb sledge whacks and it should break loose.

Now lift the cage out and you'll be here:

P1040529_zps45604c19.jpg

Now to grind away all glue on the interior and move on to mocking up the A-B Hoops.

EDIT: 30 Minutes in, I fried the replacement Milwaukee grinder from a few months ago. Only Milwaukee I've ever had problems with is this model grinder. Frustrating. We'll see how the 2nd replacement grinder does.

Last edited:

thejafe

Adventurer
Now to grind away all glue on the interior and move on to mocking up the A-B Hoops.

Nice update, G. Wondering why you're removing all of the foam/glue... is it because your roll cage setup needs to mount flush to the floor, or because you'd rather not roll the bed liner on top of it? I know that crap is all over the interior of my TJ and I was planning to roll my liner right over the stuff because I'm sure it'd take forever to get it all 'outta there.

GP'd

Adventurer
Nice update, G. Wondering why you're removing all of the foam/glue... is it because your roll cage setup needs to mount flush to the floor, or because you'd rather not roll the bed liner on top of it? I know that crap is all over the interior of my TJ and I was planning to roll my liner right over the stuff because I'm sure it'd take forever to get it all 'outta there.

Removing it in the corners where the new plates from SWAG are going to go. You are correct in that I want the most flush mounting surface.. (Image Below)

P8090382-30.jpg

I haven't heard of anyone having problems rolling liner over the glue/foam stuff, but I would never attempt to get into those corners around the B-Pillar if the cage was still installed. With a wire cup brush and no cage it, it is a cake walk, though my grinder did just fry again. UGH.

thejafe

Adventurer
So, any updates? C'mon man, I gotta live vicariously through this project until it isn't 18º in NY anymore, lol. Got plans for the spring but about all I can do right now is acquire parts and plan things out until things start to warm up around here.

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
...A few tips if you find yourself diving in this far.

View attachment 140785

I've removed several cages and the best method for me is to go straight to the welder. I use a cup brush to clean the goo from the torx bolts. Then use a sacrificial large hex nut which I weld through the center hole to the torx. (I have a large assortment of used fasteners in a bucket. My favorite size to use generally comes from an old ring and pinion nut.) The combination of the heat from welding plus the large size of the new nut makes them easy to remove.

HTH

GP'd

Adventurer
I've removed several cages and the best method for me is to go straight to the welder. I use a cup brush to clean the goo from the torx bolts. Then use a sacrificial large hex nut which I weld through the center hole to the torx. (I have a large assortment of used fasteners in a bucket. My favorite size to use generally comes from an old ring and pinion nut.) The combination of the heat from welding plus the large size of the new nut makes them easy to remove.
HTH

Thanks for the advise Jerry! I'll remember that next time!

GP'd

Adventurer
Well....

Last Sunday, I had a seemingly embarrassing, very scary, freak accident occur in the garage. While tapping a bolt through a bracket, a 4mm shard of metal shot through my contacts and cornea, embedding itself into my Iris. I ended up in surgery a few hours later with the shard removed and 7 stitches in my eye.

Normally, I am overly paranoid about safety glasses in the garage, but unfortunately I had them on my forehead this time. Needless to say, they didn't really help. Given the frequency that I use a welder, mill, belt sander, grinder, tubing bender, and other 'dangerous' tools in my garage, the simple task of tapping a bolt in a hole nearly blinded me.

A week later, I am very lucky to be recovering beyond doctors' expectations. I will have stitches in my eye for the next 3-6 months and will wear safety glasses in lieu of an eye patch. Fortunately, after all of this, I will likely have correctable vision similar to what it was before. Given that the shard was about 1mm from deflating my eye like a flat tire, and I'll come back from this with only minor vision and cosmetic issues, let this be a lesson to everyone messing with tools: SAFETY GLASSES AT ALL TIMES.

62948_10100714857746205_762775655_n.jpg

Needless to say, during my recovery over the next few weeks, I will not be able to make progress on the cage. Hopefully I can get some smaller projects done though.

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
WOW!

Hope things heal quickly. I've been out of commission since November 2nd from a fall. I can tell you it is NO FUN being confined to the house. As of tomorrow I am allowed put full weight back on my leg and hope to get into the garage for a little while.

Take your time and follow the doctor's advice!

GP'd

Adventurer
WOW!

Hope things heal quickly. I've been out of commission since November 2nd from a fall. I can tell you it is NO FUN being confined to the house. As of tomorrow I am allowed put full weight back on my leg and hope to get into the garage for a little while.

Take your time and follow the doctor's advice!

Thanks Jerry. Heal up too.

GP'd

Adventurer
Progress. Finally. Almost 2 weeks after the accident, my eye has a decent bill of health as long as I don't get anything in it or bump it in any way.

Started replacing the factory cage the past couple nights.

B-C Pillar Constructed
B- Pillars Constructed

Now I just need to get another pair of hands to mock all of this up inside the jeep so I can start on the rest.

P1040530_zpse6ef2379.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater