richard310's 04 Xterra

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Another vote for 32s. While 33s is the holy grail for most trucks but aside from all the fitment issues you give up too much power (due to the gearing) when you go +2-3 tires.

You're right. 33s would look cool, but you'd be so down on power and mpg. 32s are the better size for these trucks, overall usefulness wise.

Demo1986

Observer
On my truck's stock gearing (4:10) the max allowable tire size without regearing is 33". My speedometer is still accurate but it would run a lot better if I went with 4:56 gears if I wanted too. When the time comes to get new tires you can research what's the biggest tire you can run without regearing. That can get very expensive on a 4x4.

richard310

pew pew
Well I can tell you all, I will be sticking with my current size and current gearing until the truck dies. I don't want to dig that hole of regearing my transmission as we all know how costly it can be, nor do I want to spend any more than I have to regarding tires. For the purpose of this truck, it's as good as I need it to be, if not better. I'm sure you will all agree with me when I say: Usability far exceeds anything else.

But man, 33's would look damn good.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Well I can tell you all, I will be sticking with my current size and current gearing until the truck dies. I don't want to dig that hole of regearing my transmission as we all know how costly it can be, nor do I want to spend any more than I have to regarding tires. For the purpose of this truck, it's as good as I need it to be, if not better. I'm sure you will all agree with me when I say: Usability far exceeds anything else.

Well said. Exactly my thoughts!

mortonm

Expedition Leader

I actually think 33s on first gens look too big for my taste, 235/85 and 265/75 is where its at.

I agree, until you feel like you are going to be doing some really hardcore rock/mud stuff I think you will find you have more than enough

richard310

pew pew
Thanks guys.

Well I sucked it up and ordered a CB thanks to longrange308 and lending him a hand installing his. It's so easy and decently inexpensive, plus FRS/GMRS isn't getting me anywhere. I'd be utilizing both CB and 2m eventually, so I'll start with the little one first.

Midland 1001LWX with NOAA
Firestik SS-204A Mount
Firestik 3' Tunable Antenna
18' Coaxial Cable

Install on Friday.

Next would be the Yaesu 2m, replace the rear shocks with either 5100s or just the 4600 HD (0"-3") and also remove a leaf (it's excessively stiff), and some interior space management in the trunk.

quaintbucket

Observer
Thanks guys.

Well I sucked it up and ordered a CB thanks to longrange308 and lending him a hand installing his. It's so easy and decently inexpensive, plus FRS/GMRS isn't getting me anywhere. I'd be utilizing both CB and 2m eventually, so I'll start with the little one first.

Firestik SS-204A Mount
18' Coaxial Cable

Install on Friday.

Next would be the Yaesu 2m, replace the rear shocks with either 5100s or just the 4600 HD (0"-3") and also remove a leaf (it's excessively stiff), and some interior space management in the trunk.

Where are you planning on putting your antenna?

Longrange308

Adventurer
Thanks guys.

Firestik SS-204A Mount
18' Coaxial Cable

Install on Friday.

I think that you may have forgotten something in your order. That stud we were messing around with on my mount is somewhat essential..

http://www.amazon.com/Firestik-K-4A...d_sim_e_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=0JV5A8ZFES3H5B2JATAV

Hopefully its also a RadioShack find, so you can complete the install without issue.

richard310

pew pew
Where are you planning on putting your antenna?

The mount allows for mounting on the trunk. So that's where it's going to go. Passengerside right above the rear tail light. The 2M ham I have planned will sit on a NMO mount right above the driverside tail light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal