richard310's 04 Xterra

richard310

pew pew
Nice buy, let me know how you like it. I've been planning on one for a while haha.

For sure. CB and just comms in general were one of the things that were on the back burner for awhile. I never thought it'd be necessary but after my last ExPo trip, I've come to the realization that it's quite a necessity, especially when I'm out solo. FRS is REALLY limited in dense terrain and well, cell service out where we all go, forget about it.

I spent $105 on the entire setup shipped via Amazon Prime Trial. You can go cheaper, but not by that much.

richard310

pew pew
Midland CB installed and mounted in the passenger side foot well. I may find a different spot for it later when I get the time to plan out more accordingly with the 2m Yaesu next on the list. Unfortunately the 1.5gens don't have much room around the dash to install without losing cubby space which is already small and limited as it is.

Antenna mounted above passenger tail light:

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
We're so close to being twins...

IMG_20121196_zps779bd968.jpg

Also, that was my original antenna mount, but trees really hated it (even with the heavy-duty spring). Just be mindful :)

Truck looks great as always!

richard310

pew pew
Looks good man. That mic is mounted so cleanly it looks factory! :sombrero:

Hahah the same can't really be said for the screws holding it in place...

That install looks great! Very clean. I'm planning on putting my radio in the same place.

Thanks! Only part of this mounting location I don't like is that it is open and exposed, but I'll live with it.

We're so close to being twins...

IMG_20121196_zps779bd968.jpg

Also, that was my original antenna mount, but trees really hated it (even with the heavy-duty spring). Just be mindful :)

Truck looks great as always!

Thanks for the switch location idea. It seems like the area was meant for switches as the caps easily pop off and were near perfectly the right size for them. I'll definitely keep an eye out on the antenna hitting brush though, but we don't get too dense of trees around here. The inconvenience of comms will always be the antenna, especially out on the trail. The 2m will have the Comet SBB-5 so it'll be a lot more bendy than the firestik.

richard310

pew pew
I was planning on putting mine between the seat and the console.

You 2nd gens guys probably have it easier as your trucks are not as compact as ours. There's no room for that on mine, otherwise it would have gone there. A good spot for it. Out of the way and non-intrusive.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
You 2nd gens guys probably have it easier as your trucks are not as compact as ours. There's no room for that on mine, otherwise it would have gone there. A good spot for it. Out of the way and non-intrusive.

Yeah, I don't think I could've made that work on Nancy.

richard310

pew pew
Made the leap a little premature but did it anyways.

- Kenwood TM281A 2m Radio
- Diamond NR770HB Antenna
- Diamond K400S with 13.5' cable

The simplicity of the Kenwood, forward firing speaker, and the price veered me towards that but the display size and heat sink efficiency of the Yaesu 2900/1900 really put me in a predicament. The programming cable and software put me towards the Kenwood unit. Thanks Longrange308. You're a bad influence Haha.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Richard, you should come to the Cleghorn trail run this Sat...you'll really enjoy it. Last time we were done by 5pm-ish and it was a large group. You can have a nice anniversary dinner on the way home ;)

richard310

pew pew
Richard, you should come to the Cleghorn trail run this Sat...you'll really enjoy it. Last time we were done by 5pm-ish and it was a large group. You can have a nice anniversary dinner on the way home ;)

She's working during the day so I might be able to squeeze that in... we'll see. Perhaps I can bail a little early just in case. That just might work.

richard310

pew pew
Headed out to Big Bear along with fellow local ExPo members this past weekend.

First time out on a technical trail. My noob cherry was busted this weekend. Found out the hard way the benefits of driving the correct line and airing down but made it out with the help of great guys and great advice. I didn't air down until the latter quarter of the run and found out how much more beneficial it is to do so. I initially thought I'd be able to do the run without airing down, but it got quite rocky with loose dirt in the mix. Only thing that did happen to the Xterra was a torn driverside CV boot with a possibly busted axle. Most likely happened when I was spinning in place and a loud thunk sounded off.

I brought my camera to get some pictures but I didn't take it out at all. Driving and learning took priority so these are pictures the other guys took:

Picture credit: nwoods
BigBear_01-X3.jpg

Found myself in a quite an off camber perdicament behind the main group:
Picture credit: bob91yj
lcirfathersday14012_zpsc86b9bb6.jpg

lcirfathersday14013_zps754896d8.jpg

lcirfathersday14018_zps8953916c.jpg

Picture credit: stioc
IMG_4983Custom_zpsb4b56952.jpg

My torn CV boot and poissibly busted axle:

Things I got from this run:
- air down to about 15-20psi to gain traction, ease the ride quality, and minimize punctures
- picking the best line to avoid off camber situations, keep the vehicle as level as possible
- invest in some sliders and skids!
- invest in on-board air!
- get my 2m HAM completely installed and get my license

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal