richard310's 04 Xterra

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Since I only had the BFG's for approximately 20k (unknown total mileage as tires were on vehicle when purchased), they were phenomenal as far as wear and performance were concerned. The only issue was that I never got an alignment until recently and that wore down the tires significantly more. Plus the lack of constant rotation didn't help either. With these Coopers, I will be rotating all five tires every oil change to see how much mileage I can tack on to these things. I'm hoping to get at least 50k out of them.

Good idea , I do the same with mine. Some may say its overkill but it certainly isn't going to hurt anything and only takes a few minutes

richard310

pew pew
Good idea , I do the same with mine. Some may say its overkill but it certainly isn't going to hurt anything and only takes a few minutes

it sucks when you don't have a flat driveway and street, nor have a garage that can fit my lifted X.

I got an ARB 1250 Awning last week and got it installed today. The L-brackets I made were drilled too low for the awning so I'll have to redrill them higher as the awning is resting on the roof of the truck and the rear driverside door has trouble closing. I used a 2"x 2" 1/4" thick aluminum L extrusion to square off the round roof rack bars. I drilled and tapped right into the bars, using a 1/4"-20 SS countersunk screw to attach the L-extrusion, and then attached the actual L-bracket, which I picked up from Orchard, directly to the extrusion. I'll get pictures up tomorrow of the brackets and the awning deployed.

I'll be reparing the pair of Hella's that almost disintegrated in Death Valley tomorrow as well, and remounting them with rubber bushings to reduce vibration.

155mm

Adventurer
it sucks when you don't have a flat driveway and street, nor have a garage that can fit my lifted X.

Can you pull your vehicle's front end into the garage? From your pictures, it looks like that will pull your vehicle far enough up to give it a tolerable levelness for a rotation.

richard310

pew pew
Can you pull your vehicle's front end into the garage? From your pictures, it looks like that will pull your vehicle far enough up to give it a tolerable levelness for a rotation.

I've tried already. The top of the light cage will touch the garage door and the slightest lift of the Xterra will smash the door upwards. I've done enough damage to the garage door already when I installed my UCA's.

richard310

pew pew
Bradshaw Trail to Joshua Tree to Big Bear solo trip in the plans.

Cleaned my air filter the other day and it was pretty nasty. Luckily the inside of the filter was baby's-butt-clean.

Here's the 2 x 2 x 1/4" L-bracket I made at work along with the Osh purchased L-bracket for the ARB awning. I deployed it at work when I got off but it was too dark to take pictures. I don't know how one person would deploy this by themselves... it took at least 2 of us to deploy it. I have to figure this out for my upcoming solo trip.

Excuse the crappy cellphone picture:

Last edited:

stioc

Expedition Leader
Nice! can't wait to see some pics from your upcoming trip. Yeah deploying the awning by yourself is not the easiest but doable if you follow the steps in the manual. It's much easier with two people though. I have only used mine 4 times in a year and half since I've had it but when I did it was great! I should use it more but I leave it home more out of laziness or because the truck is already overloaded with all kinds of (unnecessary) crap.

richard310

pew pew
Nice! can't wait to see some pics from your upcoming trip. Yeah deploying the awning by yourself is not the easiest but doable if you follow the steps in the manual. It's much easier with two people though. I have only used mine 4 times in a year and half since I've had it but when I did it was great! I should use it more but I leave it home more out of laziness or because the truck is already overloaded with all kinds of (unnecessary) crap.

I checked out the manual and watched a YouTube video online... It was how I thought I would do it after thinking it over :) I can't wait to set up camp!

richard310

pew pew
Wow... I should've just drove down to DDM in Huntington Beach to pick up my HIDs. They're shipping from China and probably won't be here for another week or two. I don't understand why they do this as they have factories/warehouses here stateside. I just hate driving down there for one thing and the traffic is horrendous. First-world problems... :smilies27

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Richard, the updates on the X are AWESOME! Those coopers look evil on there. I love the way your truck looks now. Seriously ready for anything. Great choice on the tires too. Such a great tread. I also really like that Lowrance unit. I'd love to have one of those. Great trip report and photos too, and I can't wait to see that awning installed. That will be just killer. Loving it all! Keep it up!

richard310

pew pew
Richard, the updates on the X are AWESOME! Those coopers look evil on there. I love the way your truck looks now. Seriously ready for anything. Great choice on the tires too. Such a great tread. I also really like that Lowrance unit. I'd love to have one of those. Great trip report and photos too, and I can't wait to see that awning installed. That will be just killer. Loving it all! Keep it up!

Thanks! :) :) I got huge use of the awning this weekend.

The ST Maxx doesn't like soft sand... or I just kept getting myself into soft sand. I dug myself into a few holes as deep as my tire. Had to use a winch from a Jeep the first time on Bradshaw, and a snatch strap from my buddy's VehiCross in Joshua Tree the second (both vehicles were with along me). Lockers would've been very helpful. Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures on the recoveries, but there are pictures of the trip to come tonight! It was an awesome post-Thanksgiving weekend: wheelin, drinking&campin, and shootin with great company.

Unfortunately, we missed the rain storm on the way home. We should've taken the Big Bear route home and done some muddin too :D

stioc

Expedition Leader
Nice pics! How wide is the awning? looks smaller than the one I have- mine is as long as the side of the truck (minus the hood).

OK stop teasing and let's see the rest of the pics too :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal