*Rickashay's 04' Tundra* - A build of Compromises

BJ'sFJ

BJ's Tundra :)
You're going to love the XL- Pro's!
Had fox 2.5 on a previous rig. Really interested in how you like the DSC when you get them installed. Rig looks awesome :sombrero:

seanpistol

Explorer
I did hit the fluid reservoir... did I forget to mention that? I used a heat gun and a stainless steel water bottle. Heated the plastic to the point it was getting malleable and then used the stainless water bottle as a mold and pressed it on the hot plastic tank. I now have a slight indent there and the tire clears. I am definitely aiming for a low profile and tight bumper when the time comes but winch choice will play a large role in this. Really thinking about the new Warn Zeon 10 Platinum... or the 12.

Nope, but I was thinking the same thing- it would be easy to reshape with a heat gun.

I'd strongly support you relocating that reservoir (at some point) and getting a bumper built with the best approach angle possible... built around the winch, tucked way up and in. Then I can get a new one. :victory:

tyv12

Adventurer
So with the 4.56's and 35's how close is ur odometer to accurate counting? I guess seeing if that combo puts you back close to stock shift points and readings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickashay

Explorer
You're going to love the XL- Pro's!
Had fox 2.5 on a previous rig. Really interested in how you like the DSC when you get them installed. Rig looks awesome :sombrero:

Thanks! It's funny I was actually just looking at your FJ yesterday. You've got a few XL Pro's I see. How is the distance on them? Do you have any of the combo pattern ones? They look great on your FJ!

Yah super excited for the Fox's just not all the PM work I need to complete before it all goes back together. haha

Nope, but I was thinking the same thing- it would be easy to reshape with a heat gun.

I'd strongly support you relocating that reservoir (at some point) and getting a bumper built with the best approach angle possible... built around the winch, tucked way up and in. Then I can get a new one. :victory:

I've actually been keeping my eyes peeled for something nice to use as a washer reservoir. I'd like to get a nice little Moroso tank for the washer reservoir: http://www.moroso.com/eb/catalog/na...ductgroup.116000&expand=true&menuId=main.menu

Definitely going to be something I tackle down the road. I'm fine for now though with the stock bumper. New bumper... how are you liking the Brute Force bumper so far? Hows the approach angle?

So with the 4.56's and 35's how close is ur odometer to accurate counting? I guess seeing if that combo puts you back close to stock shift points and readings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll have to double check when I get the truck on the weekend. The figures I was about to spit out don't make sense....

rickashay

Explorer
I'm mind boggled right now. I swore I remember reading that my speedo was reading low by approx. 14%. But that doesn't make sense.... all the calculators I've ran say that with my stock tire size of 265/65/17 or 30.6" tire (says on my door plate sticker) that running a 34.9" tire (what the toyo's measure to) and a factory ratio of 3.91, my ideal gear ratio would be 4.46. Obviously not an option with our gear selection so 4.56 means I should be geared just barely lower than the ideal ratio. I can't verify my "14%" speedo error without the truck in my hands but does someone else mind having a look. Maybe I'm overlooking something obvious or my current % error is way out to lunch (very possible).

I'm stumped.

seanpistol

Explorer
New bumper... how are you liking the Brute Force bumper so far? Hows the approach angle?

The approach angle is better than stock, but nowhere near what Tacomas can pull off... I like the bumper other than it needing to be hacked for the 35s :bike_rider:

dyogim

Explorer
I think you over estimated. Should be around ~8.5%. Assuming all the numbers stay the same except the tire diameter, the difference in tire diameter is 8.8%. That's how much you should be estimating. So, if you are going 35 mph, you are actually going 38.08 mph. Based on GPS numbers and speed radar, the simple calculation seems to be pretty accurate.

Otherwise, there is a calculator out there that can help determine your actual speed. Here's some info you may need:

A340F transmission gear ratios:
1st = 2.804
2nd = 1.531
3rd = 1
4th = 0.705

Transfer case gear ratios:
4Hi = 1
4Lo = 2.57

Hope that helps.

BJ'sFJ

BJ's Tundra :)
Thanks! It's funny I was actually just looking at your FJ yesterday. You've got a few XL Pro's I see. How is the distance on them? Do you have any of the combo pattern ones? They look great on your FJ!

Yah super excited for the Fox's just not all the PM work I need to complete before it all goes back together. haha

I actually just updated the front bumper to 3 Amber Driving/Combos Only.
Really happy with the distance. It puts light very far down the road..I really won't ever be going fast enough to out run them.
The 42 degree wide cornering makes a very nice fill that really helps seeing wildlife on the edge of the roadway. A lot more comfort going down dark roads at higher speeds. Not afraid of animals jetting out in the dark.

rickashay

Explorer
UPDATE

Picked up the truck last weekend from Cruisin Offroad in Chilliwack BC. Jason is a great guy to deal with and I am very pleased with the outcome. You can tell he is very creative in his craft and we worked well bouncing ideas off one another. I had a sketch of the rack done ahead of time and how I wanted it built but he was able to make valid suggestions from his perspective that made the product better overall. I'm already making plans to head back there sometime next year for aluminum skid plates and some hybrid bumpers f/r.

First up, the sliders.
- DOM tubing
- Dimpled filler plates on the kickout
- bolt on using existing holes
- Full length mounting (need to get a pic of this, truly BEEFY)
- satin powdercoat

IMG_4875.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

IMG_4873.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Now, the bed cage.
- Bedside mounted still allowing the mounting of my Tonneau Retrax cover - awesome to keep dust out of my gear and it's lockable
- front section utility rack for Maxxtraxx, shovel, axe, or RotoPax
- Rear removable roll bar for canoe rack
- Satin powdercoat
- Retains ~80% of rear visibility
- Mounts for lights or wind fairing
- rear light tabs for reverse/camping lights

IMG_4870.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Close up of some of the details:

IMG_4867.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

And a shot on the truck - Also got the Baja Designs XL Pro Lights installed. Unfortunately haven't had a chance to run them at night yet. Still planning on a full write up for those...

IMG_4876.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

As I type this the ARB Rooftop tent is already installed on the rack and the rear bar has been removed (as was intended until I'm hauling a canoe up there!) I'll get some good pics of the whole setup this weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven