*Rickashay's 04' Tundra* - A build of Compromises

rickashay

Explorer
Thanks for the info about the Fox shocks. I was looking at using the 2007+ shock, PN 980-24-674 (Extended length: 24.65 in. Compressed length: 15.55 in. Shock travel: 9.1 in) but the PN you gave has some specs that will bode with my 1.5 lift in the rear a bit better. Almost a inch more travel.... I'll take it.

985-24-009 - Says it has a "Universal Stem Mount" , works well for the top, but the eyelet on the bottom, was the ID of the bushing good for the bolt size? Fox specs the first gen's as a ES4 (ES4: Sleeve: Ø 0.482 ID X Ø 0.625 OD X 1.545 TLG and the 009 is a .500ID x 1.375. So, talking .018 in and length off by about .17in

^^^ after writing that out.... does not seem THAT significant, but thought I"d get your two cents.

All I had to do was trim the width of the metal bushing on the eyelet of the fox off my 1/16" of an inch. Just zipped it with my grinder and put them in. No issues since... Hope that helps!

E.Roy

Aspiring Explorer
...One thing that I find interesting is how Toyota uses leaf springs that have unequal eye to center pin lengths. Like one side is shorter than the other. I wonder why? The Chevy's are the same eye to pin length either end and that would in my mind contribute to a more sensitive flexible ride... maybe?
I just spent some time at a upullit yard measuring leaf springs and to my surprise, pretty much only GM had the center pins actually centered, the seemingly logical way. The short side on other trucks is towards front hangers, which I suppose would lessen axle wrap on acceleration, and aid stability towing at capacity. 2000 Dodge Durango has 24" in front, 32" out back, seems odd. A note about GM 63" 1/2 ton springs, I noticed pre 99, they had about 3 or 4 leaves and still appeared nicely arched, but on the newer body style 2000? with 2 leaf packs, they had sagged around the axle tube, so I'd favor the earlier springs if buying used

MojaveMafia

Center pin position has a lot to do with drive shaft plunge. Of course that's in combination with shackle type traditional (89-95 PU) or inverted (Gen 2), and shackle pivot hight. Typically the center pin will be closer to the front for less plunge. On the Deaver 62's I think 3/4 of the additional length is added behind the pin allowing the shackle to absorb more of the growth than the drive shaft.

A little side note, shock valving and spring rate is totally different between traditional and inverted shackle setups. On a traditional setup the rear spring pivot moves vertically most rapidly near full bump, while on an inverted setup the shackle, the rear spring pivot barely moves vertically as the spring nears full bump. Horse and buggy suspension is actually pretty complicated :)

rickashay

Explorer
Completely unrelated to my build, but my brother is selling his 4Runner and with us starting to get more into video lately, we through this little for sale clip together:

[video=vimeo;144789129]https://vimeo.com/144789129[/video]

Montana Cruiser

Adventurer
Update - Dec. 27, 2014

As mentioned, I've been away for the holidays. It just so happens that my Dad has a fairly large and heated garage so I was able to do some tinkering in my spare time while I was back home in BC.

I had some 3M carbon fibre wrap that I acquired in a trade a while ago and wanted to wrap the faux-wood to try and update the interior a little. First of all, the wrapping was quite painful as the center dash surround and cup holder area simply had too many curves to get the finished product to look half decent. I ended up doing the whole thing and then just thought it looked too "ricey" for my taste. So I pulled the vinyl wrap and just decided to paint the wood grain in the center section. I did it in a high gloss black and then followed with 3 coats of clear. I ended up leaving the carbon wrap on the window switches just for a bit of contrast and I think it came out pretty good, IMO.

20131226-IMG_4153.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

While I was at it I replaced my dash lights with white LED's from SuperbrightLEDs.com but unfortunately lost one of the small bulb retainers in the back of my cluster (doh!). The white looks nice but being OCD, I think the colors are too inconsistent having to run multiple bulbs/sizes. I'm going to order new LED's and do everything in red and be done with it. Fairly straight forward procedure though and I can now have the whole dash apart and cluster out in about 5 minutes. I'm actually quite happy how easy it is to pull the Tundra console/dash apart compared with my LX which was more of a PITA.

Painted console and LED's... and notice the new Weathertech floor mats I got for Christmas?! Awesome.

20131226-IMG_4160.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Hey there, another thread, another question ;) You mentioned the colors are too inconsistent, could you elaborate on what LEDs you ended up with? Your dash looks great! After driving my GX470 for so many years, the Tundra dash lighting almost looks like no light at all! Would love to get things looking better!

Cheers - Nate

rickashay

Explorer
Hey there, another thread, another question ;) You mentioned the colors are too inconsistent, could you elaborate on what LEDs you ended up with? Your dash looks great! After driving my GX470 for so many years, the Tundra dash lighting almost looks like no light at all! Would love to get things looking better!

Cheers - Nate

Thanks! I haven't changed what I originally put in there. It's actually not that bad at all. Superbright LEDs.

You've had this thing for a while now. Almost time to sell ;)

Lol you aren't the first to say that. I still need bumpers and skids and a winch before I'm ready to sell. ahaha I've actually had this truck for opver 2.5 years... literally a record. Maybe cause I've been swapping cars around instead in the background: 05' Subaru Legacy GT manual (sold), then 05' Acura TL (currently for sale). Might be picking up an older A6 this weekend if it doesn't sell by then. I want a 2.7TT in my future... haha

Connor hows the 4Runner doing?

Thanks! I haven't changed what I originally put in there. It's actually not that bad at all. Superbright LEDs.

Lol you aren't the first to say that. I still need bumpers and skids and a winch before I'm ready to sell. ahaha I've actually had this truck for opver 2.5 years... literally a record. Maybe cause I've been swapping cars around instead in the background: 05' Subaru Legacy GT manual (sold), then 05' Acura TL (currently for sale). Might be picking up an older A6 this weekend if it doesn't sell by then. I want a 2.7TT in my future... haha

I'm a fan of the older A6's, post some photos!

4Runner is doing well except I'm having some transmission trouble. It appears I have a faulty clutch, even though it's only 30k miles old. :(

Montana Cruiser

Adventurer

I love the C5 A6's, if you address the quirks, they are a solid fun car for sure. The 2.7TT as is the 4.2!

rickashay

Explorer
I'm a fan of the older A6's, post some photos!

4Runner is doing well except I'm having some transmission trouble. It appears I have a faulty clutch, even though it's only 30k miles old. :(

Bummer on the clutch. I imagine you did the replacement yourself too? Time for a 1UZ swap? trans has to come out... your almost there. Lol

I love the C5 A6's, if you address the quirks, they are a solid fun car for sure. The 2.7TT as is the 4.2!

Yah so I've been reading. Everyone kept telling me the Allroads were "so unreliable" but in reality it's basically the airbag suspension that gives those the bad reputation, not the 2.7TT. Seems like control arms, possible torque converter, and eventually turbos are the big maintenance items. I just want to buy one with low enough mileage so I can drove it stock for a couple years and do all the PM stuff. Then when the turbos or trans/torque converter dies everything will come out and I'll run K04 turbos and swap the getrag 6 speed in. Would be a pretty fun project car in the long run and it's reasonable practical in the short term. Just found another one in Vancouver that looks good, if all works out I'll fly out there this weekend and pick it up!

Sold the 80. Buying a 100. Still need to wheel together sometime.

Jon

Not surprised your now in a 100. I'm sure your already loving the 2UZ. Planning on running 37's?!?! I'm sure it can be done...haha

Agreed, we will meet up one of these days. I'll make sure to let you know the next time I'm planning a US trip. Or if your ever going to take advantage of the low Canadian dollar and do some exploring up my way, things are looking good right now! Hope you doing well.

UPDATE

Or should I say lack-there-of? Truck has basically been chilling in my garage. Went out wheeling yesterday and forgot my camera (I can't believe it... brutal.) but it was a good test for the truck. We did a trail that had some really tight tree sections, some thick ice water crossings, and some deep snow. I actually got through an obstacle between trees where I literally did a back to back pivot off of consequtive trees, usiung my sliders just so I could fit between the maze of trees. So far the size of the Tundra has not kept me out of anywhere I have wanted to go. On the same obstacle yesterday my buddy in a 4th gen 4Runner and another friend in a LX450 both had an extremely tight fit as well so I've come to terms that the Tundra is basically in the realm of all other Toyota rigs in terms of width, and I'm still shorter in WB than the DCLB Taco's.

Anyways, planning on full custom bumpers F/R in the spring and skids. Basically everything else I want to do is simple little detail mods and a few small mechanical/electrical things to tidy up. One of those detail mods being the truck needed a good polish. We had a nice warm chinook rolling through Calgary today so I pulled out the Porter Cable and went to town. You would never guess the truck was scraping through bushes the majority of the day yesterday. Did a full interior detail as well.

IMG_5839.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

IMG_5845.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

IMG_5849.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

IMG_5850.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

That rear bumper needs to go:

IMG_5848.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

IMG_5825.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Winter mode sans fridge:

IMG_5821.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

One last glamour shot. The house I'm currently renting has a basement suite and the guy in the basement just so happens to have a long travel 4th gen 4Runner. Wasn't even planned... kinda funny.

IMG_5829.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
Addison, your Tundra is so clean! Armor can only make it look that much better :sombrero:
I've been meaning to scan thru your build again, what tool did you use to trim the front fenders? Anything that you would recommend, things worth noting, thoughts? I need to clearance my front fenders and there are very few fender trims that I think look good except for yours. And seanpistol. His looks good too :D
Thanks!

QuadsBC

Adventurer
Love this truck! I'm selling my 3rd gen 4Runner and picking up an 05 dc tundra. Perhaps you can confirm my research on arb lockers. Looking to lock front and rear and it seems that both are rd129. Sound right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven