Ridiculous descriptions from sellers

hamdroid

Saw something to the effect of "Starts, runs, drives, needs new brakes". Ok, so you can go but not stop?

Also, advertising a rig as several feet shorter than any documentation I can find online specs out. Have run into that twice, neither seller answered my inquiry for confirmation of length (I have limited parking space).

hamdroid

Currently looking at a used truck at a dealer because I'm considering a truck camper. Dealer took several days to determine that it has no cruise control and the email read "I think..." What, you didn't go look at it? Also, the dealer options listing says manual transmission, but salesguy swears it's automatic. Oh, Carfax also says manual. Again, seriously? Asked if they had 2 of the same model, still waiting to hear on that. Guess I'll have to go look at it myself.

86scotty

Cynic
Currently looking at a used truck at a dealer because I'm considering a truck camper. Dealer took several days to determine that it has no cruise control and the email read "I think..." What, you didn't go look at it? Also, the dealer options listing says manual transmission, but salesguy swears it's automatic. Oh, Carfax also says manual. Again, seriously? Asked if they had 2 of the same model, still waiting to hear on that. Guess I'll have to go look at it myself.

Is there no VIN listed or picture of the interior? Seems pretty simple.

Also, doesn't surprise me at all that a dealer wouldn't know about cruise. They'd have to go drive it for a few minutes to determine that. I've hardly met a dealer who would bother taking the time. I generally steer WAY clear of dealers but I do currently own a couple of vehicles that came from them. Here's how to get a dealer to take the time. Get their cell number. Text them about 15 times today, no less, maybe more. In some of those texts show pictures of hundred dollar bills. This dealer doesn't want to take the time because if he leaves the lot he loses a possible sale from a live human being. Callers are not live human beings, not by a long shot.

Finishing a transaction with a dealer and remaining friends should be the last thing of concern to you. If he is happy at the end of the transaction you left money on the table.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Surfing some lunchtime Craigslist today and I remembered another favorite:

“no spammers or scammers” ... clearly entering this line and relying on the core integrity of scammers will save you a metric ton of wasted time and energy! Good thing you put that in the ad!

Tugvi

OK, some people are going to take this personally. I don't care, I think it's the silliest thing people do in ads. Block out their license plate numbers. My favorite is when there is a big blurry thumb stuck in the middle of the picture. Why?

What can anyone do with your license plate? It's visible all day every day for people to see! Makes no sense to me at all.

Not taking it personally, but I do this too. I do not use a finger to block, but mark it out on the photo. The reason why is because of theft. While it is visible all day, and it is possible that you could run into some wanting to steal it, the odds are smaller for that than someone looking for that year make/model/year online. Harder to use the vehicle these days but motor/seats/body panels/pretty much anything other than frame hard body parts. Stripping a vehicle doesn't take long. Looking up tags numbers isn't hard either.

86scotty

Cynic
Not taking it personally, but I do this too. I do not use a finger to block, but mark it out on the photo. The reason why is because of theft. While it is visible all day, and it is possible that you could run into some wanting to steal it, the odds are smaller for that than someone looking for that year make/model/year online. Harder to use the vehicle these days but motor/seats/body panels/pretty much anything other than frame hard body parts. Stripping a vehicle doesn't take long. Looking up tags numbers isn't hard either.

That has to be the silliest argument I've ever heard of. Most of the thumbs and swirls I see are for average cars. We're not talking about exotics here. Most of our so-called overland vehicles are just what everyone else is driving everyday with a lift and wheels, at least 95% of them. Big deal, someone wants my truck insurance will provide me another one. That's what it's for.

I respect your right to make silly and misguided decisions, however. Enjoy yourself.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Could it happen? Sure, kinda like an airplane engine falling on your truck as it sits in your driveway...but, the percentage chance is greater that you would win the lottery then get you C-list car stolen.

Car thieves generally fall into two catagories, Organized or Dis-organized. The Dis-organized thief is an opportunist that finds your car idling at the quick mart as you run inside to get a slurpy or you left keys in it or they car-jack it or pop the ignition to joy ride it/commit another crime, etc.....they're not looking on C-list for your make, model, options, color, license plate and then doing the research to locate it....they're criminals of opportunity.

The Organized thief is the guy or gal stealing cars of value or demand (parts, re-sale, scrap, etc....) for profit. They identify the valuable or demand driven ones, learn their weaknesses, locate them, exploit the weakness, steal them and dispose of them quickly.
Now, could it happen that you have the Honda Civic they want posted on C-list? Ok. They locate the photo with the tag. They get the registered owner info/address from an online App (Credit card payment) or go to the local DMV and pay $5 for the registered owners info (Affidavit of need required). They google your address. They drive over and find the car in the driveway and exploit its weakness and steal it for parts and/or scrap.
Now, an organized thief will evaluate the risk....boost the car randomly from a parking lot, street, mall, etc and leave little or no evidence, no digital or video evidence or go through the process of researching the license plate on line or DMV leaving digital evidence, phone numbers, e-mails, signature, photo/video, IP address, CC numbers, witnesses, etc.....Heck, they more then likely will just call you up to look at the car and steal it at gun point or threat versus going through the hassle and risk of researching ownership.

So, could it happen? Sure, but the risk maybe greater then its worth.......but, it's usually the stupid or careless ones that get caught...

Cheers.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
Other scam with license plates is dirtbags get the make/model/plate number then turn it in to insurance saying "your car hit me and ran but I got the license plate number." If they know your city it's easy to do then it's your word against their's. If turned into their own insurance company they can claim uninsured coverage just by providing a plate number. You can probably get out of it (no damage to my car, wasn't in town when they said it happened, etc, etc) but you still have to deal with the hassle when a simple scribble over the plate would save the trouble. I personally don't worry about it but the scams are out there.

Tugvi

Could it happen? Sure, kinda like an airplane engine falling on your truck as it sits in your driveway...but, the percentage chance is greater that you would win the lottery then get you C-list car stolen.

Car thieves generally fall into two catagories, Organized or Dis-organized. The Dis-organized thief is an opportunist that finds your car idling at the quick mart as you run inside to get a slurpy or you left keys in it or they car-jack it or pop the ignition to joy ride it/commit another crime, etc.....they're not looking on C-list for your make, model, options, color, license plate and then doing the research to locate it....they're criminals of opportunity.

The Organized thief is the guy or gal stealing cars of value or demand (parts, re-sale, scrap, etc....) for profit. They identify the valuable or demand driven ones, learn their weaknesses, locate them, exploit the weakness, steal them and dispose of them quickly.
Now, could it happen that you have the Honda Civic they want posted on C-list? Ok. They locate the photo with the tag. They get the registered owner info/address from an online App (Credit card payment) or go to the local DMV and pay $5 for the registered owners info (Affidavit of need required). They google your address. They drive over and find the car in the driveway and exploit its weakness and steal it for parts and/or scrap.
Now, an organized thief will evaluate the risk....boost the car randomly from a parking lot, street, mall, etc and leave little or no evidence, no digital or video evidence or go through the process of researching the license plate on line or DMV leaving digital evidence, phone numbers, e-mails, signature, photo/video, IP address, CC numbers, witnesses, etc.....Heck, they more then likely will just call you up to look at the car and steal it at gun point or threat versus going through the hassle and risk of researching ownership.

So, could it happen? Sure, but the risk maybe greater then its worth.......but, it's usually the stupid or careless ones that get caught...

Cheers.

Few years ago I would have agreed with you 100%. Given the articulation of your response you must have some kind of background in LE so you know as technology evolves so do the techniques used by criminals. Gone are the day of the organized theft form parking lots of business too may cameras. Also with the evolution from lojack, to onstar, then to any number of pcm/gps security systems not as easy to steal. Also gone are the day of the tennis ball trick/skeleton key/and simple busted ignition. All this still happen of course but on a much smaller scale. Tow trucks/repo trucks are the new MO. If any onlookers they think repo/repair/parking violation(especially true in apartments), no notifications made to security companies due no start/damage, just drive it off and strip it. If you are previous LE how my tow trucks did you actually stop to verify pull notifications were made? It is also a lot easier to get tag info off dark web/net with no trace. They shop just like we do just skip the paying part. As for crimes of opportunity those will never stop or slow down sadly. Thanks for well articulated response. Fun to debate subjects but not often you get legitimate responses mostly just tantrum rants.

86scotty

Cynic
"Cummings diesel for sale" is another good one. I've never heard of that company so I doubt I would trust an engine from them.

"Responses asking if item is still available will be ignored". OK, there's a way to sell something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77