RMP&O's v8 80-series

Shanfari

DhofarX.com
Although this is not a Patrol but this the nearest build to my focus! Shares many similarities with mine :) So I try to learn as much as possible from the mentor, Ian :elkgrin:

About the UMP air box, that really got my attention! I'm running a 3.5" (90mm) TB now and wanna know any advice about the air system because I'll shoot for a snorkel next. And about your engine exhaust headers, do you have any pics? because I think your car has same narrow issues in the engine bay with big V8, although I think that the dimensions of the DOHC 5.6L is bigger as I've seen a 5.7L LS1 that looks super tiny in compare!

Warm greetings.

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Thanks man.

About the UMP, big pain in the butt to relocate the battery but worth it. After I put it in I drove down to Baja for a 3 week trip. 3,500 miles on that trip. Lot's and lot's of dust, some of which was that super fine talcum dust you hear about in Baja. Checked the air filter when I got home, almost no dirt/dust in it so I didn't clean it. Still have not cleaned it. I am sold on the UMP filters now, will be using them in all my trucks. Very easy to hook a snorkel up to it if you install it that way. I did just that, the intake is pointed into the fender ready for a snorkel connection.

Frame rails are a problems, yes it is true. On the drivers side the manifold dumps right on top of the frame rail and has tow lame 90* fittings to get around the frame. That is what I really do not like. Thing is the only real issue is vintage of my motor. It is an oddball vortec only made for a few years. It has square ports on the exhaust. First gen Chevy v8's have round ports, they went square for a few years and then when the LS came out back to round ports. That means I am very limited with aftermarket manifolds I can get for it. Plenty of headers out there for a stock application but I need block huggers. Used to be able to get some but since it is an old motor, can't get what I need anymore. I basically gave up and decided it is not worth the money to work out headers and exhaust on this engine. Then a work truck goes and blows it's motor so it makes sense now to put the 5.7L vortec in the Cruiser now in the work truck that blew it's motor and upgrade the Cruiser engine to a 5.3L. The 5.3L has many more options for headers and from what I have read is not a problem to fit between the frame rails and exhaust is fairly easy to work out. So that is what I am doing. Sorry that is not much help for your application but that is where I am at with it.

Cheers

Shanfari

DhofarX.com
Thanks man.

About the UMP, big pain in the butt to relocate the battery but worth it. After I put it in I drove down to Baja for a 3 week trip. 3,500 miles on that trip. Lot's and lot's of dust, some of which was that super fine talcum dust you hear about in Baja. Checked the air filter when I got home, almost no dirt/dust in it so I didn't clean it. Still have not cleaned it. I am sold on the UMP filters now, will be using them in all my trucks. Very easy to hook a snorkel up to it if you install it that way. I did just that, the intake is pointed into the fender ready for a snorkel connection.

Frame rails are a problems, yes it is true. On the drivers side the manifold dumps right on top of the frame rail and has tow lame 90* fittings to get around the frame. That is what I really do not like. Thing is the only real issue is vintage of my motor. It is an oddball vortec only made for a few years. It has square ports on the exhaust. First gen Chevy v8's have round ports, they went square for a few years and then when the LS came out back to round ports. That means I am very limited with aftermarket manifolds I can get for it. Plenty of headers out there for a stock application but I need block huggers. Used to be able to get some but since it is an old motor, can't get what I need anymore. I basically gave up and decided it is not worth the money to work out headers and exhaust on this engine. Then a work truck goes and blows it's motor so it makes sense now to put the 5.7L vortec in the Cruiser now in the work truck that blew it's motor and upgrade the Cruiser engine to a 5.3L. The 5.3L has many more options for headers and from what I have read is not a problem to fit between the frame rails and exhaust is fairly easy to work out. So that is what I am doing. Sorry that is not much help for your application but that is where I am at with it.

Cheers

Thanks a lot! I should get the UMP then :)

Here's a pic of how the headers MUST look like with the VK56 engine from an Australian guy who made the swap too:

11.jpg

Mine looks somehow similar but bigger and thicker, and of course it's custom made. They look like this one but 2-2.5" for each port, though the port itself is 1.5" but for better breathing, and the rest of the exhaust is 3": OEM headers for Toyota's 1UZFE

bum 003.jpg

As told you before, we're FORCED to make it like that one. I should make a picture as soon as I get to the garage. Thanks a lot for all the details!

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Right on, I could go the custom route but just don't want to spend the money on this engine.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Took my truck out for some fun yesterday. Got a few trails 30 miles out of town I like, not much more than dirt roads but this time of year they can be a real challenge. We have had lot's of rain the last 2 weeks and with the snow melt the trails were very slick. Lot's of mud, ruts, water crossings, downed trees, logs to climb over. Good fun day! The Cruiser did not disappoint. Winch came out twice yesterday, once cause we were stuck and another time to clear the trail of logs. We even encountered some 3ft deep snow but that didn't stop the Cruiser! Almost got stuck several times, one hole was well over 3ft deep but locked up, 10psi in the tires and the v8 the Cruiser made short work of it. Both trails we were the first truck to drive them this year. The second trail we saw a quad and side by side on but otherwise we had them all to ourselves.

Great day! But now I have about 3hrs of cleaning mud off the Cruiser! I got a pic or two I will post later.

Cheers

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Bad bad end yesterday to a great day. Rolled my Cruiser 1 1/4 times in the dunes at Saint Anthony, Idaho last night.

10557513_10200749019525786_8135169491206886897_o.jpg

Luckily, none of us were hurt. The particular spot that got me is on the way to the top of the dunes and the hill known as "Choke Cherry". Very sketchy line where you must get lot's of speed, head up the edge of the bowl off camber and pop the front end up over a transition. I have done this line at least 3-4 other times in two separate trucks and it is a sketchy line. It is a 100% commit line and if you don't make it, you roll. I didn't make it and we rolled. I had been talking about this very spot several times that day and how sketchy it is and how I was not really looking forward to doing the line. Body on the Cruiser is a total loss. Smashed up way beyond repair. It took us a couple hours to get it back on it's wheels. Engine was locked up so we pulled the plugs and purged the oil. Rear coil spring was out and back tire was flat. We got it going a bit after dark which was around 1030pm. I drove it out of the dunes and back to camp. Today we drove it 70 miles home towing a trailer up over the rockies. Mechanically the truck is still solid but body wise there is almost nothing that can be saved.

Not sure what I plan to do, still thinking on it. Options are; buy a $2-4k Cruiser with a good body and make my truck live again. Cut the roof and doors off and drive it as a soft top. Buy back a super clean FJ62 body I sold a buddy and turn the truck into a 62-80 hybrid. Harvest the parts, use some on other trucks or projects and sell off the rest. Totally undecided right now what I will do.

Sucks badly but you take risks when you play hard. I accepted the risk and knew what the risk could end up as. Part of this hobby in my opinion. I am bummed out but like I say, knew the risk I was taking.

Cheers

AxleIke

Adventurer
Ugh, that sucks. Very glad you all are okay, but man, what a loss.

I hope you rebuild it, or transform it into a 40/60/62 and 80 Hybrid, but if you decide to part it, I am looking for an 80 series frame, axles, suspension, steering and steering box as a package.

Anyway, like I said, I really hope this gets a new life.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
The FJ 142 gets my vote! This is my Lotto truck... Well, one of about 10! Sorry to hear about your 80!

Yup that is what I am thinking about doing. Always liked a 60/62 on an 80 chassis. Probably the cheapest route for me too since I have access to a very clean 62 body.

Cheers

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
so, there is an sliver of hope for the mongrel, or at least a version of it?

Glad you all are alright....!!

60Dan

Explorer
Man that sucks pleased to hear your ok. Bummer that the cruiser can't be saved but looking forward to seeing what you do next!

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
so, there is an sliver of hope for the mongrel, or at least a version of it?

Glad you all are alright....!!

Yup Frank, just about have a deal sealed on my old super clean FJ62. I think the Cruiser will be born again as a new version of the Mongrel. Not as bad ******** as my original plan but sick none the less. I am looking at it all as biggest bang for the buck and that = 60/62 on the solid 80 chassis. I think I am moving forward with FJ60/62 body on my 80 chassis, really nothing wrong with my drivetrain or chassis. New v8, RuffStuff front housing and more! This all seems the better option than starting from scratch or even swapping a new 80 body on my chassis.

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism