RMP&O's v8 80-series

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Sorry to hear but glad everyone is OK.
If the 60 series does not work out there is a rust free 80 body and frame available in Phoenix AZ cheap. Let me know if you have interest.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Just bought my old FJ62 body back from my buddy today. So that is it, I am doing up a 60/62-80 hybrid. I say "60" because I am a fan of round headlights so will likely run the 60 front end on the body. May or may not do a new v8 but am doing a new front axle housing and setting all that up before a body goes on the chassis. Got to shorten my frame 5" but I am up to the task.

Happy 4th and cheers

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Glad to hear you have decided on a direction. Sometimes that's half the battle. The math might be tough... 80+62+60=202, but since it'll be part 60, part 62, do we average that out as a 61? Then it's a 141. Jeez...

Happy 4th to you too!

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Making good progress on stripping the 80 down before disposal of the wasted body. In a few weeks I may be ready to toss what is gone beyond repair which is most of the body.

Here are some pics of how smashed up the 80 is.

smashed1-jpg.1103026

smashed2-jpg.1103027

smashed3-jpg.1103028

smashed4-jpg.1103029

smashed5-jpg.1103030

smashed6-jpg.1103031

smashed7-jpg.1103032

The only major thing I am going to miss about the 80 is the sun roof, I loved it. That and the departure angle is better. Otherwise I have a very nice 60/62 in my cards to plop on this chassis.

Cheers

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Meh, it might buff out?

But on a serious note, you weren't kidding! That thing is beat! Still in basically its correct shape though. It shows you how tough they are.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Meh, it might buff out?

But on a serious note, you weren't kidding! That thing is beat! Still in basically its correct shape though. It shows you how tough they are.

Ya they are tough but not meant to survive this. Not sure how fast we were going, I kept my eyes on the line not the speedo but in general we do 20-35mph in the dunes. Ya' have to to get anywhere, it is all about speed. It happened in literally a second or less. One second we are heading up the bowl and on the right line, the next we are rolling. The dunes is no joke, toughest wheeling I have ever done with the biggest consequences if you fail.

Cheers

Scott H Murray

Adventure Photog
Sorry to hear about your cruiser but I am glad everyone is ok and safe, I have just been involved in a vehicle roll over too (6+ times) and am contemplating what vehicle to get next...

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Just bought a bunch of parts from Toyota for the 62. Turn signal and wiper switches for the steering column, bunch of weather stripping and window runs, some interior trim bits and more. Looks like some parts from the 80 will work on the 62 so if that is the case I will pick the best from both and use that. Probably order my RuffStuff front housing this month sometime.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Should I start a new thread since this 80 is dead and a new truck being built? Or just keeping going with this one? I started a new build on Mud but over there the series of Cruisers have their own section on the forum.

Thinking I am going to chrome the 80 knuckle balls when I cut them off the spare housing. That or nickle plate them. Best time to do this is when they are cut off. Purpose of this is an excellent sealing surface on the knuckles, long lasting, gets ride of and resists grooves or pitting from rust too.

Cheers

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
If it were me I'd keep going in the same thread. The chassis is still from the 80. Swapping the body is a "progression" of the original build. As you know, nobody is too picky about 60, 80, 100 here.

QuadsBC

Adventurer
Can't wait to see the swap! Fj60 was my first car but was lost to rust. Still holds a special place in my heart.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Straight outa' Japan! It is not called a "resto" mod for nothing. :cool:

resto-jpg.1111915

resto2-jpg.1111917

resto3-jpg.1111918

resto6-jpg.1111919

Nearly there on a rolling chassis with the 80.

resto7-jpg.1111920

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism

Members online