RMP&O's v8 80-series

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I ordered my single e locker from 12 volt guy without the big panel, he makes some nice stuff! Im generally an DIY guy, but for the price and not having to source the right connectors, it was too good of a deal.

Mike

Ya I would rather just buy a kit then make my own. Wiring is not something I enjoy a lot.

I haven't decided which one. The 12v Guy kit is a little big for mounting, but a lot cheaper than the LROR.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
BTW, my brake lights have been sticking on a lot lately. It first started when it was sub-zero so I just assumed it was cold grease on the MC piston. Well, recently I had my head up under the dash and saw that there is two brake light switches mounted to the pedal. It looks pretty jerry rigged. No idea why someone would put two switches in there. Add this to my list of things to fix and make right.

Cheers

Danimal

Adventurer
Perhaps one was added for the ECM signal to cut out cruise control and unlock the torque converter? Not sure why they wouldn't have just wired in the factory one for that?

Dan

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Perhaps one was added for the ECM signal to cut out cruise control and unlock the torque converter? Not sure why they wouldn't have just wired in the factory one for that?

Dan

Yup you are right on the money. One is definitely used for talking tot he TCM. Can't use a Chevy style switch, it is completely different than a post/pole type switch. Although I think it could be wired from a post pole switch, pass through the Chevy style and go out from there to the brake lights and TCM. A simple 4-post switch will work though. I also have no idea why somebody would rig up two switches in there rather than one doing it right. It is pretty jerry rigged and causing me probs, looks like I will be putting ina new switch, hopefully it is nt a huge pain to mount!

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Got me some shop time this evening in a buddies shop. So here we go with the fun....

This is the aftermarket brake light switch that is working with the TCM/TCC. You can see it is not lined up all that well to the pedal shaft.
71427_3835986956115_356532839_n.jpg

Here you can see both switches mounted, stock FJ80 on top. Wavy best describes it!
1555497_3835987836137_1477152009_n.jpg

Oh ya, custom
1520614_3835988956165_977402689_n.jpg

1502473_3835990876213_507477871_n.jpg

From the scrap pile I would imagine.
1486747_3835991236222_974945397_n.jpg

Now I am just having a little fun in my comments for the pictures. I am clear now on why it was done and what the purpose of the 2nd switch is but I still think it is jerry rigg'ed! The plate to mount the 2nd switch is wavy to try and make it line up pus the steering shaft backing plate thingy is in the way when trying to mount a 2nd switch so long. I suppose it lasted 11yrs so if the guy who did this is out there reading, congrats on it lasting this long! :)

I cleaned the switch for the Chevy side of it, it was a bit sticky. I got them lined up a bit better too. Short drive after but seems good so far and hoping this will hold me over until I find the right switch and get it in there. BTW, this is my least favorite place to work on a truck! ;)

This thing was driving me crazy.....

1549393_3835992316249_1185756052_n.jpg

no more beep beep beep beep! Happy. :wings:

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Bought my Low Range Off-Road locker kits last night. So in a couple weeks here is what I have planned.

-Wire up lockers and install LROR kits.
-Remove drop brackets on radius arms and cut & turn front axle
-Install Metal Tech 2" spacers in front
-Figure out if I need to deal with my front driveline. Previous discussion about CV vs normal shaft in the thread, I may end up with a CV in front!

Since taking out the double brake light switches, cleaning them, aligning better and installing again I have had zero trans issues. So I am glad to have found the root of the problem and that it is working A-ok now. I still plan to go to one 4-post switch, hopefully mounted where the stock one is. Since it is not giving me dramas now though I am in no hurry.

Cheers

Shanfari

DhofarX.com
Most thing I love about Nissan-Infiniti cars is no sound warning! But I think Ford Explorer's belt warning is the most annoying!

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Well, just spent Saturday and Sunday working on my truck. It wasn't really as productive as we would have wanted but we got some stuff done anyways.

Main goal was to remove the stink bug and get the truck more level. Also remove the drop brackets on the radius arms to gain ground clearance. We had also planned to cut & turn the front axle but didn't get that done. Last bit was to get the Low Range Off-Road locker kits installed.

I had 2* caster before we did anything to the truck. The truck also was sitting at a 1.8-1.9 degree angle. We installed 2" Metaltech front coil spacers and new OEM bushings in the radius arms. The truck now sits at a 1* angle and no more noticeable stink bug. I like this a lot and it looks great! I didn't check castor because it is not done and we still need to c&t the front axle. It is way out now though for sure. The truck is definitely more squirrely to drive right now and handles like crap. But again, this is temporary and I can live with it until we get the c&t done. I really like the LROR locker kits, they are nice, easy to install and plug and play. I still need to run the wires from the engine bay to the axles but that is about it. It took awhile to get the dash apart, wires pulled, holes modified for switches, ect ect so we didn't get them 100% done. Soon though they will be done and I will be locked.

Oh ya, taking this truck to King of the Hammers! Pretty stoked on that!

Cheers

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
...Oh ya, taking this truck to King of the Hammers! Pretty stoked on that!

Cheers

Right on, would love to meet up and say hello. We'll be down their Tues-Sat'ish. Pitting for 2 rigs Thurs and helping pit for a local team on Friday.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Right on, would love to meet up and say hello. We'll be down their Tues-Sat'ish. Pitting for 2 rigs Thurs and helping pit for a local team on Friday.

I will keep an eye out for you, obviously we will be in a big gray 80-series. :)

My dash has been p/o'ing me for a while now. Missing hardware, dead wires, wire mess that is hard to stuff in the dash and more. So I not only finished up the e-lockers today I fixed up my dash and a lot of wiring. Pulled out the head unit and fixed everything up behind it, installed a new din #2 slot bay, the old one was cracked and broken. I had to move the CEL and charge lights since I wanted my locker switches where they were. On top of this I had to trim down the e-locker switch slots so the switches fit just right. I bought a bunch of new hardware too and got the whole dash nice and tight again, no more sloppy loose areas.

Any ways, Low Range Off-Road e-locker wiring kits are installed! Lockers are working well, stoked!

The mess I started with
1609670_3902782425960_1437491515_n.jpg

The LROR switches
1186692_3902764185504_372534998_n.jpg

running lights on
1513647_3902764985524_64441415_n.jpg

fully locked
1618590_3902765145528_813642610_n.jpg

Digging through my wiring stuff I found some LED's from when I did up my FJ60. Seems an LED from an FJ60 works in an FJ80!
1546432_3902782745968_478785593_n.jpg

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Brake light switch (2nd one that is plastic) broke the other day. It was stuck so was causing the TCC to flip out, again. I pulled it and tried to fix it up again and it broke in half in the process. A little bit more research and thought time and I decided no reason I can't just hook it up to the stock switch, the TCC wires that is. If I am right, all the TCC needs is a 12v signal when the brakes are depressed. Stock brake light switch gives that, duh. Picking up a few wire connections I need today to try it out. Hope this remedies my issues for good, I have been driving around the last week without TCC working when I use the brakes.

Bought a Lokkar back up light switch which mounts to the side of the trans. I gave up on hoping to pull power for a back up light switch from the stock location. Using the FSM I figured out it is the yellow wire coming from the gauge fuse circuit, 10A. I then figured out the yellow wire to the seat belt buzzer is on the same circuit. I unplugged and removed the buzzer so I have a wire right there under the dash ready to sue for back up lights. Went to test fit the Lokkar assembly last night and I need to modify it slightly to make it work. The linkage coming out of my trans is customized, so the switch needs to be customized too. Go figure!

I did a little bit of other maintenance last night. Oil change, ect. Prep for KOH! Leaving tomorrow, pulling a camp trailer down to JV. Going to be fun!!

BTW, nearly 10,000 miles put on the Cruiser now since I got it around Nov. 1st. I am still working out some small issues but I am just about there now. The truck is proving to be a faithful steed so far!

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Well I just completed a 2,000 mile road trip in the Cruiser! I left last Tuesday, picked up a buddy + his tent trailer and we drove down to Johnson Valley for KoH 2014. I prepp'ed the Cruiser a bit Monday night before we left. All in all the truck did great! We did some off-roading in the truck while there too. Saturday afternoon while wheeling in the sand we found a large sharp rock which wasted a sidewall on one tire. Fist sized hole through the sidewall. We mounted up the stock Desert Dueler 31x10.5 and made it not only back to camp but all the way to Vegas on it. I then bought a 35x12.5R15 Cooper SST. I am really liking the SST and think I am going to buy three more for the truck. The only other carnage was a split PCV hose which caused the truck to idle rough until I replaced it.

Oh ya, and on the way down last week, we stopped in Vegas and a friend took us to BJ Baldwin's race shop. We got the full tour and it was one of the highlights of the trip. Unbelievable trophy trucks and the builder is an awesome guy!

I didn't take many pictures but will post a few later today.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I absolutely love JV and am thrilled I have had the chance to go there a few times for KoH!

Top of a mountain overlooking JV late in the day on Friday

1656209_3966543179939_139525030_n.jpg

At the moment, I can not think of a better place to chill out and drink a beer and watch the sun set.

1779893_3966545980009_890004567_n.jpg

1911684_3966548060061_1098454149_n.jpg

It snowed here at home while I was gone....

1662230_3966549300092_1340020754_n.jpg

And the Cooper that replaced the wasted tire

1795615_3966549980109_1338951537_n.jpg

Cheers

skibum315

Explorer
Those STTs have always struck me as a nice tire ... if you decide to go for the full set, I'll be curious to hear how they do for you in the snow. I have a buddy down this way who's got them on his SAS'd Xterra, and he's been pretty happy as far as I know.

Nice pics from JV. Bet the race is a blast ... I hope the crowds haven't made it too much of a headache to enjoy being there in person. I've been hunting down clips and whatnot where I can ... still need to figure out how to get out there myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism