Roof Tent Mounting Options

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
That FJ-45 is SWEET!! :clapsmile :beer:

Anyone happen to have pics of an install on an aftermarket roof rack? Trying to figure a way to temporarily mount my Eezi-Awn to a Garvin rack, it'll be transfered to a trailer next season.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
John B said:
Anyone happen to have pics of an install on an aftermarket roof rack? Trying to figure a way to temporarily mount my Eezi-Awn to a Garvin rack, it'll be transfered to a trailer next season.

That sounds like it might ride a little tall, John. Although it'd be temporary, could you spring for a set of low-profile Thule or Yakima rails in place of the Garvin - and possibly install a smaller basket in front of the tent?

I'm just throwing ideas out there - but as you know, I have no experience with the setup. :)

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
expeditionswest said:
450LB dynamic load capacity

Me = 260
Tent = 100
Girlfriend = 130ish
No Bueno! :)

I have a very HD aluminum roof rack that i will be installing my tent onto. Here are a few pics:

Rack i have (shown with the 1/2 rail option, i have a full rail):
ao_80rack_500.jpg

Tent installed on said rack:

rack_detail_4.jpg

100seriesAOBrack252.jpg

tent_1200_5.jpg

Bathroom Skirt That Will Make The Misses VERY Happy!
tentshower.jpg

Last edited:

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
cshontz said:
That sounds like it might ride a little tall, John. Although it'd be temporary, could you spring for a set of low-profile Thule or Yakima rails in place of the Garvin - and possibly install a smaller basket in front of the tent?

I'm just throwing ideas out there - but as you know, I have no experience with the setup. :)

Exactly what i'm concerned about Chris!

I do have other options for this season as you suggested. There's a guy on NAXJA selling ZJ Thule towers and crossbars, the ZJ crossbars are shorter than an XJ needs. Fear not...i have wider crossbars from my old Thule that was on my Black 88, but the factory rail mounts are different. So, were discussing things and someone local chimes in saying he is interested....and all of a sudden i go to the back of the line?! Let the guy choke on them.

I put a call in and Thule setup will run me $200. I could take the center section of my Garvin rack out and bolt the front and rear sections together for a 2' deep rack (big enough for my Sceptor cans/cooler etc). Mount that in front of the Eezi-Awn as you suggested.That'd get me through the season till i can get the M100 setup enough to use it.

Or i can make my Garvin rack more like a deck...like BostonMangler posted below. Cut the sides off my Garvin and it's done.

Decisions ...Decisions bro. :Wow1:

Ramdough

Adventurer
I've used Yakima A Towers and 72" load bars (3 sets under the tent, one additional set at the front of the rig) for my kayaks and roof tent/awning, and it works great.

H,

Do you have more pics of that? I have been trying to figure out how to fit a few kayaks or a canoe on my truck.

Nice looking rig BTW:clapsmile

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Ramdough said:
H,

Do you have more pics of that? I have been trying to figure out how to fit a few kayaks or a canoe on my truck.

Nice looking rig BTW:clapsmile

Another option is to get a different type of tent - that takes up only HALF of the roof rack system. :coffee:

317693.jpg

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Boston Mangler said:
Me = 260
Tent = 100
Girlfriend = 130ish
No Bueno! :)

Senor Mangler --

Dynamic weight rating would only include the load on the rack when operating the vehicle - I doubt that you and the girl friend would be in the tent when traveling...:Wow1:

When parked you suggested weights would not be a problem for this system.

I think the Xsporter is a great slution for a pick-up. I had a lunch with Pasquale - Desertdude - the other day, and got a good look at his Tacoma - a really sanitary and well thought out set-up. I was impressed with the attention to detail and the quality of components he assembled.

Mike

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Mike S said:
Senor Mangler --
Dynamic weight rating would only include the load on the rack when operating the vehicle - I doubt that you and the girl friend would be in the tent when traveling...:Wow1:

Ahh, ok, that makes more sense then! :)

Mike S said:
When parked you suggested weights would not be a problem for this system.

Great!

Mike S said:
I think the Xsporter is a great slution for a pick-up. I had a lunch with Pasquale - Desertdude - the other day, and got a good look at his Tacoma - a really sanitary and well thought out set-up. I was impressed with the attention to detail and the quality of components he assembled.
Mike

You should see his drawer system/shower setup! :D

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Tent mounting solutions

Mike S said:
On mounting tents in general:

4. Mounted to shell - This is a very simple and effective way to go. Most of our customers who mount tents to their pick-ups opt for this solution. Mounting to the shell does not need to be an engineering project. Most shells can be fitted with artificial rain gutters, standard cross bars, and the tent secured to the cross bars with standard mounting hardware. Here's two examples:

408669.jpg

408672.JPG

MikeS
I’ve got a few questions about mounting a tent to a shell. I see in your post above that these guys have their tents mounted on their shell. Their rack is on the side of the shell instead of on top. My THULE rack has the 60” long rails that allow adjustment along the length of the shell and I’m not sure that this set up would be strong enough for a roof top tent.
Here is a pic of my set up:
DSC02494.jpg

Have you mounted any tents to this type of shell mounted rack before? Are shells capable of handling 500 lbs of static load? I’m curious of the long term performance with this type of mounting solution (i.e. long term vibration resistance and fatigue cracking)? Can you share any additional information there?

Mike S said:
A note on fuel efficiency:

Gas (fuel) mileage is often an issue. The best ways to minimize the impact of a tent on fuel consumption are; a.) employ a very streamlined tent, b.) Use a tent that is as lightweight as possible, consistent with long term performance, c.) place the tent in the slipstream of the vehicle - below cab height, or on a trailer.

My next question is with respect to roof vs. trailer MPG? I’m curious to know what the larger MPG penalty would be for a Tacoma. The fact that you are towing a trailer with tent on it and other gear in it would incur some MPG loss but would it be larger than simply mounting the tent on the roof?

Cheers :beer:,
P

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
p1michaud said:
I’ve got a few questions about mounting a tent to a shell. I see in your post above that these guys have their tents mounted on their shell. Their rack is on the side of the shell instead of on top. My THULE rack has the 60” long rails that allow adjustment along the length of the shell and I’m not sure that this set up would be strong enough for a roof top tent.

Have you mounted any tents to this type of shell mounted rack before? Are shells capable of handling 500 lbs of static load? I’m curious of the long term performance with this type of mounting solution (i.e. long term vibration resistance and fatigue cracking)? Can you share any additional information there?

Yes we have mounted tents on this type of set up, and they are generally strong. I would DEFINITELY check with the shell manufacturer as to their top load limits. They could be unwilling to comment on any load on their campers ofr liability reasons, but it is worth a try. I don't know what shell you have, or what rating it would have, even guessing.

My next question is with respect to roof vs. trailer MPG? I’m curious to know what the larger MPG penalty would be for a Tacoma. The fact that you are towing a trailer with tent on it and other gear in it would incur some MPG loss but would it be larger than simply mounting the tent on the roof?

Depends on the roof tent you choose. An aerodynamic model will punish you much less than a trailer. But I have pulled my trailer wih my Landcruiser, and gottent what I thought was very good mileage. If you select a 'brick-like' tent, it will cost you several MPG, but much depends on the power of your vehicle, driving style and speed, etc. Comparing to a trailer, the trailer is out of the slipstream, but will add hundreds of pounds of additional weight. It might be MORE efficient on flat lands, and LESS efficient in the mountains.

But trailers have many other advantages you may wish to consider in your thinking process. I would say the choice depends on mileage traveled, use patterns, and the amount of gear you have to carry. I like my trailer, but don't always pull it along, sometimes I just use the Cruiser with a slim line roof tent.

I know - clear as mud, but we could have a long discussion on this subject, and consider a lot of details that we have not discussed here.

Mike S

articulate

Expedition Leader
Mike S said:
I know - clear as mud, but we could have a long discussion on this subject, and consider a lot of details that we have not discussed here.

Mike S
Man, I gotta tell you I keep visiting this very thread because I am not sure at all what I want to do with my set up. And your posts are killer.

3-chacala4.jpg

My temporary solution is two steel load bars spanning the bed. (the tent is an Eazi Awn 1200). It works. I'm afraid of the Thule Xsporter, but I like the concept. But moving parts cause exponentially more wear and tear, so I'm concerned about that set up failing.

After reading your posts, I really like the idea of putting on a camper shell and mounting the tent to that. Damn! Then we'd have a ton of cargo space. If we had some kids then we'd have a place to set up a sleeping platform in the shell when they were old enough. Sweet. I wonder if the truck will last that long....

My wheels are turning now. :088:

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Could an angled piece of plastic/metal be placed in front of the `brick' tents to assist in aerodynamics?

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
How about this...

articulate said:
After reading your posts, I really like the idea of putting on a camper shell and mounting the tent to that. Damn! Then we'd have a ton of cargo space. If we had some kids then we'd have a place to set up a sleeping platform in the shell when they were old enough. Sweet. I wonder if the truck will last that long....

My wheels are turning now. :088:

The absolute ideal expedition rig would, in my opinion, be a camper shell that has side lockable side openings (like those that tradesmen use), and a bed-mounted exo-frame of DOM tubing at each end of the bed, joined by tubing lengthwise on the top above the shell, with three adjustable load bars spanning it. The tent could go on top and all your gear inside. The camper could be used or not, depending on your needs, an it would be indestructible. You could fit a small basket in front of the tent to carry gas cans and driving lights.

This eliminates one of the major hassles in a camper shell... getting down on your knees and crawling inside through the tail gate to get at you gear, and he weight of the tent, occupants and misc. top load would be on the truck frame, which can easily support 450 lbs. - perhaps more. :costumed-smiley-007

Just a thot.

M

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
pskhaat said:
Could an angled piece of plastic/metal be placed in front of the `brick' tents to assist in aerodynamics?

I think a fairing would help a lot. Mounting a single bar forward of the tent, you could also use it to carry your driving lights.

M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk