RotopaX Gas Can Mounting Pictures (please)

5Runner

Adventurer
I wonder...

...In all my discussing rotopax on various forums, everyone wants one, but is priced out.

Could we get a retailer, all ready established with rotopaX, to do a group buy? I think if one retailer was going to sell a boatload of paX that they would offer a deep discount. They would get great word of mouth advertisements from all the talk of the group buy. Probably not likely...

JeepTreeHouse

Adventurer
Well I'm sure I'm bringing on the flames, but in a pinch you can toss them inside the cabin. They are 100% air tight.

On my trip out west we had our gas can in the back of the 4Runner with no issues. And the girlfriend would not tolerate any smell of fumes in the car if it did leak. Over 12000 miles it passed her test.

schmugboy

Observer
Best of luck, and if you find some for a lower price PLEASE let us know here. From everything I've seen Rotopax are a lot like Yeti coolers... Everybody sells them for the same price and there are never any discounts worth mentioning.

I did a google search about a month ago, for rotopax discount, which led me to advrider forum, and a post offering a modest discount 5%-10% from rotopax's website. Seems he does this every once in a while, otherwise he takes the AEV approach. "build it and they'll buy"

5Runner

Adventurer
I did a google search about a month ago, for rotopax discount, which led me to advrider forum, and a post offering a modest discount 5%-10% from rotopax's website. Seems he does this every once in a while, otherwise he takes the AEV approach. "build it and they'll buy"

Yup. I googled and tested it. ADVRIDER coupon code gets you 15% off right now. $85 for a $99 4 gallon pack. Nice.

I might just pull this trigger...

youwillforget

Adventurer
First hand I can tell you they are great. I have 2 water, 2 fuel and 1 orange storage box and I am crazy about them. 2 waters were a gift, 1 fuel was payment for working on a co workers car, the storage box was payment for working on a co workers car, and I bought 1 fuel. I am still owed a fuel for building a rack for 2 of the 4 gallons on a Grizzly atv.
Call the factory direct tell them what you want to buy and see if they will work with you on shipping or price if you are getting multiple packs. It worked for me, I got the 2 fuels at the same time my co worker gave me the order number and I immediately called them and asked for a second fuel to be added to the order = free shipping.

NetDep

Adventurer
This is a pic of the bed of my Toyota Tacoma. I am very please with the Rotopax system. The build and thought put into the rail mount system is very impressive!! They are a little pricey but like all else - you get what you pay for. I have four of the two gallon gas cans mounted and when I get the roof rack done it is my intention to put these on the roof and get some of the water Rotopax for the inside although these work well and do not smell or spill.

Attachments

• IMG_0596.jpg
    IMG_0596.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 167

Triumphdog

Adventurer
Can these be stored lying flat? I'm looking to build a rack above my rear spare tire, but they'd have to lay flat if I did.

schmugboy

Observer
Can these be stored lying flat? I'm looking to build a rack above my rear spare tire, but they'd have to lay flat if I did.

Yes, they seem to, although I don't have first hand knowledge. If you do a search on the forum for rotopax, you'll find a few threads with lots of pictures, of them lying flat tied to roof racks. I just wish I had some more discretionary funds, so I could buy few, but in the middle of a lift/gear buy/install. So I'll have to wait until I've saved some more.
Good luck

DD

digitaldelay

Explorer
Well I'm sure I'm bringing on the flames, but in a pinch you can toss them inside the cabin. They are 100% air tight.

On my trip out west we had our gas can in the back of the 4Runner with no issues. And the girlfriend would not tolerate any smell of fumes in the car if it did leak. Over 12000 miles it passed her test.

What's the general consenus on a Rotopax (gas) stored inside the passenger compartment? I wouldn't mind the ability to occasionally carry some emergency fuel. Adding a roof rack would be the only other option and I would rather avoid that if possible.

Thanks,

Jason

toddz69

Explorer
Here are some pics of a 2 gallon water container that I mounted on the spare tire carrier of my Bronco. It takes up some previously unused space and 2 extra gallons on board means I don't have to always be throwing a jug in back whenever I take off for a quick trip here in often-warm AZ.

Thankfully, I don't have to get into the container much because the 'dogbone' is now nearly impossible to lock/unlock by hand when you have it tight enough for the container to not be too loose on the mounting stud. I quickly made an aluminum 'helper' that I threw in a storage box on the truck so it's not impossible, just extremely inconvenient to remove the container. Thinking maybe I was more of a weakling than I know I am, I've had several strong friends try to do it and they have trouble as well. I first noticed it on a trip last fall when I was in cold/wet/muddy conditions. I thought perhaps that exacerbated the situation but since then I've tried it and the same scenario persists regardless of the conditions.

Todd Z.

IMG_8256.jpg

IMG_8257.jpg

5Runner

Adventurer
So I bought one four gallon rotopax.

I strapped it to my roof rack crossbars with a rachet strap.

It worked freaking GREAT. I love this product...

however...I have GOT to get a new spout. The STUPID "spill proof" design was so cumbersome that I spilled more fuel down the side of my truck than I ever have before. Uh...yeah...real stupid plan some Californian's had in mind for this one. I'm sure everyone one around got cancer. ha! Seriously...I'm going to swap it out for a spout from one of my old smaller, cheaper cans.

Imnosaint

Gone Microcamping
I've been put off by the price, too, not to mention that the mount for my application is out of stock, so I tried my hand at fabricating my own mount, saving me enough bank to spring for more packs.

5Runner

Adventurer
Yeah the mounting hardware they make is nice and all, but I'll take the $3 ratchet strap for now. I plan to buy a second 4 gallon pack someday...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3