Round snorkel head

Grease Cruiser

Adventurer
I got this picture from the proffits cruiser site, this is the snorkel head that im looking for

braiser22.jpg

Yep, factory Toyota. It comes factory on the 79 pickups.

Thanks for posting a picture of my truck!!!!!

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
I didnt think of doing that!

on another side note: I was at a local parts store and one of the guys who was selling parts said that if I install a K&N cold air intake element in place of my ram head, I should get an increase in horsepower, is he just trying to sell me the k&n element?

It is my personal opinion that K&N filters are poorly suited to Overland travel due to the dust. First of all, there has been a lot of info presented that points to a lower level of filtration of particulates by K&N filters when compared to others, such as wix. Furthermore, from my personal experience with K&N filters... they need to be cleaned roughly twice as often as the disposable units service window... which can be a PITA, especially if you are going through an air filter per trip. So when you combine them, what you get is a filter that does not filter as well and clogs up with gunk about twice as fast due to the oil used. At the very least, disposabler filters allow you to quickly change one out while on a trip without having to take the time to clean it and put it back in...

I think replacing the ram with the K&N filter would have very bad results, even if your snorkel setup is completely sealed, which is not the case with most people's setups. The filter would clog up rapidly with dust, the oils would be quickly compromised during a heavy rain, and the first big bug or rock that hit the filter element itself could ruin your day.

My .02

LJ_24

Adventurer
Looks like I'll be going with the donaldson precleaner or the oem toyota one, thanks for the help guys

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
I would agree that the K&N filter does get dirty pretty quick. The dusty roads we travel on fill them up, and the centrifugal pre cleaner is the way to go. I like the Donaldson idea because you can see what is in there. I believe there is one out there that has a drain port on it, so it drops the bad stuff out the bottom when not spinning the air around. Anyone familiar with that one?

Cheers,

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I believe there is one out there that has a drain port on it, so it drops the bad stuff out the bottom when not spinning the air around. Anyone familiar with that one?
All three of the ones I linked to are maintenance free and expel to dirt, water, etc.

LJ_24

Adventurer
How come there are threads and articles out there that state that the round precleaner should not be used at highway speeds?

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I don't know.
Maybe the same reason I see threads that say a bad ground will blow a fuse, that you shouldn't pump but 1 or 2 pumps of grease in to a u-joint so you don't blow the seals, or that to test an alternator disconnect your battery and see if your engine keeps running. I see all sorts of nonsense like that all the time.

Ask the manufacturer, they'd be the ones who'd really know.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Never had any issues with my centrifugal pre-cleaner at highway speeds...but it was in an FJ80, so speeds were about 70mph and under....

-H-

diesel toyota

Observer
no problems

I have ran the 10" Donaldson Pre-Filter on my past 88 FJ62 Expedition truck, and always could see it working, hear it pulling air and it worked great traveling, and I think cut down on buying paper filters on the road or carrying many spares. I switched it over to my 87 BJ-74, and just now recently switched to the smaller one by Donaldson; it is much louder than the 10" one, and it also weighs much less too, which is why I switched to the smaller clear one. I will sell my bigger 10" one if someone wants it-$50 you ship.
Very well made, and does a great job.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    332.3 KB · Views: 46

Greg_B

If you're running the factory round style head and don't have cable running up from the bumper to the roof line to re-direct branches, consider drilling a hole in the flat horizontal section at the back of the cap, and the metal upright on the support that bolts to the windshield frame. Then connect the holes via some thin cable wire.

I've torn the head off three times in dense foliage. The 1st time the whole top popped out, and I was able to stop, find and retrieve. I then put it on tighter. The 2nd time off it ripped at the vanes. I ordered another, and planned to connect the two with wire. Never got a round tuit. So, another top ripped off at the vanes.

I've got a booty fab installed Safari ram top in there right now, as I haven't bought a new factory top yet. But will. And hopefully this time remember to leave it off the truck till I have time to connect the two sections with thin cable wire. And then install the cap loose enough it can pop off with no damage, and stay with the truck.

gb

Attachments

• Factory Snorkle Cap.jpg
    Factory Snorkle Cap.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 39

davegonz

Explorer
I would agree that the K&N filter does get dirty pretty quick. The dusty roads we travel on fill them up, and the centrifugal pre cleaner is the way to go. I like the Donaldson idea because you can see what is in there. I believe there is one out there that has a drain port on it, so it drops the bad stuff out the bottom when not spinning the air around. Anyone familiar with that one?

Cheers,

Yep, that's an Donaldson FPG series with the "Vacuator" port.

The 4BTJ62 that I used to own had a Toyota cyclonic prefilter head and a Donaldson FPG air filter (under the hood).

attachment.php

I'm currently working on fitting one in my FJ40 project.

docroh

Observer
I've got a few of the Donaldson mdl 000823 cyclonic pre-cleaners. Its got a 4.5 inch base that is easily modified to fit cruiser snorkels (FZJ80) Don't know if it will work for your application.

Lot of people in Oz use these regularly given the dry conditions and swap them out with the Ram head on the safari snorkel units. Here is a thread discussing thier use and limitations:

http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/...e-Cleaner.aspx

Let me know if you want on. I picked up a lot from DRMO and there are a few of these

$50 Shipped anywhere in the Lower 48.
PM if interested.
Dan

toy_tek

Adventurer
I've been running a Donaldson 7" topspin precleaner for a year and a half. Works fine at 80 mph. You can get them on Ebay. Mine is a 3" outlet. It came clear, I painted it black with propeller paint and left a one inch paint gap in the drivers sightline so I can tell if its spinning. Left clear, it is distracting to other drivers at stoplights.

81970be0.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven