Ruger Trailers Denver

lost-adventurer

Lost and loving it...
Noted you are a first time trailer owner. Congrats you will have fun. Also noted you want to add rear swing gate with spare. You will want to contact the manufacturer before doing so. Trailer axle center lines are set up for specific and anticipated equally and weighted and load distributions. Adding weight to the rear can cause the trailer to become tongue light and adversely affect trailer tow-ability. With the rear swing gate, spare and wheel you could alter the weight distribution by 150 -200 lbs. In extreme situations, extra rear weight if not counter balanced can lead to trailer whip and control loss. This becomes even more potentially pronounced at higher speeds. Just a heads up…a call to the manufacturer Ruger Trailers well worth the time and peace of mind.

Trailerguy, not sure who you're referencing as a 'first time trailer owner'. This is my first Ruger, but own and have owned a number of trailers. As far as my expedition trailer and the addition of a swing gate w/spare, the tongue box with Arkpak and ARB fridge will be within 10 pounds of the swing gate w/spare. With the rotopax full, the tongue will be slightly heavier, which will be offset by the weight distribution of the contents within the trailer.

Have you added a spare tire mount to one of the Ruger trailers? If you have photos or specs, that would be great. Once my fab guy has a drawing I will post it.

brussum

Adventurer
If there is a weak spot on my Ruger trailer it's rust. My trailer is stored in a garage. The entire trailer is about to go in for paint or a Line-X protective coating in black. The trailer is 3 years old, it began rusting in year two. It should not be rusting.

The rotopax and propane tank are DIY with OEM mounts. The propane tank mount is from Overland Trailers http://store.adventuretrailers.com/products/5-lb.-Propane-Cylinder-Bracket..html

My next project is a tongue box to hold my ARB fridge and Arkpak battery pack. It will have a door on each side with a slide for each. I'm hoping to get the tongue box before the Overland Expo.

I assume you mounted the propane tanks through the trailer tub sheet metal. What are you using on the inside of the tub to reinforce the mount and prevent the mounting bolts from being pulled through? I like that setup and am considering something similar, but am worried about mounting directly to the sheet metal tub.

lost-adventurer

Lost and loving it...
After a lot of measurements and discussions, we determined the safe option was 33's.

Rugertrailer5_zps96d95191.jpg

Now it's off to paint and decide on a spare tire carrier.

Please show pics of your spare tire set-up.

Fab started today for the custom tongue box and rear tire carrier. The tongue box will hold my ARB 37Q fridge and my ArkPak. Both will attached to a sliding tray with a driver's side door. The entire project should be done in time for the Overland Expo. Can't wait!

bikemanx2

Observer
Fab started today for the custom tongue box and rear tire carrier. The tongue box will hold my ARB 37Q fridge and my ArkPak. Both will attached to a sliding tray with a driver's side door. The entire project should be done in time for the Overland Expo. Can't wait!

I am definitely interested in seeing that. I will be placing my order for my trailer in about a week and had something like that in mind.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

lost-adventurer

Lost and loving it...
Articulation hitch

My custom tongue box and spare tire carrier mods are coming along...sorry no pics. If I have time I will snap a few later this week. We are still on schedule to have everything complete for the Overland Expo mid May.

One of the additional mods to the trailer is extending the tongue by 18", removing the standard coupler/ball mount and installing a 2" receiver mount for an articulation hitch. AT and Ruger both have an articulation hitch. I have not used an articulation hitch on any trailer. Does anyone have advice on what to look for and what they use?

Thank you.

lost-adventurer

Lost and loving it...
The tongue is ready for the articulation hitch after being extended by 18". My JK rear door and spare have to clear the tongue box when finished. Also the rear swing-away tire carrier is on and ready for paint.

IMG959587_zpsc85223e3.jpg

IMG955126_zpsa82dc967.jpg

IMG957139_zps9eca9691.jpg

bikemanx2

Observer
Very nice. I'm working with Steve right now on my trailer build. So excited! Did you fab the tire carrier yourself or integrate an off the shelf unit?

lost-adventurer

Lost and loving it...
Very nice. I'm working with Steve right now on my trailer build. So excited! Did you fab the tire carrier yourself or integrate an off the shelf unit?

Everything is 100% ground up fabricated. It was the only way I could get everything I wanted/needed and not give up durability, approach angles, etc. The Ruger trailer is a great trailer platform. What options are you adding to your trailer?

bikemanx2

Observer
OK awesome. Right now its going to be the standard trailer for the most part. Expedition frame, multi axis coupler, set up for 35's. He had some new options for 2014 that I'm going for and some R&D new 'top secret' stuff in the works. I will definitely post some pics and details once I take delivery.

T-Rey1

Adventurer
On Board Water

Added a water spigot to the trailer for a tank and pump I keep inside. Will work great for showers and washing and cleaning

20140428_185401.jpg20140428_185351.jpg

T-Rey1

Adventurer
Here you go. It is just a box from Harbor Freight. It has worked very well. I do not have a pic of the battery in it yet. Future plans are power outlets and fuse block

20130401_190856.jpg

20130401_190845.jpg

T-Rey1

Adventurer
Got to use the trailer this past weekend at Lonestar Jamboree. The water tank was a big help and very handy. I also had added 2 stabilizer jacks to the back and a level in the front and rear. It was a good thing I had the jacks since our camp spot was on uneven ground. Here are some updated pics. Please excuse my messy battery box.
Future plans include:
Fuse block and power outlets
Axle flip
New tires
Spare tire carrier
Painted to match my truck
I would like to get the tent higher off the ground by possibly making some kind of lift assist.

Attachments

• 20140428_185351.jpg
    20140428_185351.jpg
    522.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 20140504_080531.jpg
    20140504_080531.jpg
    596.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 20140504_071907.jpg
    20140504_071907.jpg
    596.3 KB · Views: 107
  • 20140504_071931.jpg
    20140504_071931.jpg