Ruger Trailers Denver

mac_jkr4d

Tire carrier looks good but are you worried about weight balance of the trailer or do you have a plan to put something up front?

lost-adventurer

Lost and loving it...
:safari-rig:

trailerrollover2_zps20de1840.jpg

trailerrollover_zpsc367f62a.jpg

photo_zps1d6c42c1.jpg

Back to the fabricator for a rollover rack!

Okay, it has been brought to my attention that my post portrays Ruger trailers in a bad light. I hope no one thinks that is my intention. What caused my rollover was driver stupidity with a little help from a new articulation hitch. The trailer rocks! Actually only 4 minor scratches on one fender after the roll. Next week I will be pulling it around Ouray and the Alpine Loop, with my tires aired down to 20 lbs. Pics to follow with the new tongue boxes.

Does anyone know if Engineer Pass is open?

GSPup

You probably want to go near 20 on the road...think 15 or a little less on the trail to notice a better ride. Those tires are rated for very heavy vehicles, even loaded your trailer doesn't weigh that much. Do a chalk test with the trailer loaded, it will get you closer to where you want to be. I've tested a lot of tires pressures on Ruger trailers, don't be afraid to go lower than what seems normal for a vehicle.

mac_jkr4d

Well it took almost 2 years but I finally got mine. It was an older used one but I'm loving it, can't wait to hit the trails and start setting it up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    517.5 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    512.1 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    512.5 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    508.2 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    526.2 KB · Views: 68

grogie

Like to Camp
Okay, it has been brought to my attention that my post portrays Ruger trailers in a bad light. I hope no one thinks that is my intention. What caused my rollover was driver stupidity with a little help from a new articulation hitch. The trailer rocks! Actually only 4 minor scratches on one fender after the roll. Next week I will be pulling it around Ouray and the Alpine Loop, with my tires aired down to 20 lbs. Pics to follow with the new tongue boxes.

Would you mind sharing with us what the tires were aired up to?

I've got 32" MT/Rs on my trailer (same as on my Jeep) and I was running them at 20 psi on the street, but after a chalk test, even 18 psi may be a bit high. I haven't towed a lot yet off road yet as the trailer is about a year old. However from the dirt roads I've hit so far, the trailer having shocks too does well not to bounce around (it's about 1200# loaded).

I have added chain cutters inside my Jeep incase I had to cut the safety chains off, as I saw a picture of a pickup with a flipped TT and the back end of the truck was in the air because of the trailer. Obviously that was a big trailer, but just thinking ahead incase the worse happens... :)

P.S. I've driven up Engineer Pass but not with a trailer. I'm sure it's possible, but more work from the Ouray side I'd guess? I'd love to hear a report and pictures when you do.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer

Actually, quite to the contrary. Your experience and Ruger's response has really kindled my interest. Nice to see someone own up to their errors for a change and not seek out someone else to blame. Thank you for your posts, and your humility it putting them up. Bravo.

T-Rey1

Adventurer
Finally got around to flipping my axle and making a platform for my water tank. I have a big trip in August to Arizona and New Mexico and will be staying out of the trailer for a week and a half. Next up is a fuse block and switches for lights and the water pump. I need longer jacks now

Attachments

• 20140614_144704.jpg
    20140614_144704.jpg
    516.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 20140614_153721.jpg
    20140614_153721.jpg
    519 KB · Views: 63
  • 20140614_153648.jpg
    20140614_153648.jpg
    503 KB · Views: 62
  • 20140615_153855.jpg
    20140615_153855.jpg
    544 KB · Views: 62
  • 20140615_153919.jpg
    20140615_153919.jpg
    511.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 20140615_155934.jpg
    20140615_155934.jpg
    491.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 20140615_160433.jpg
    20140615_160433.jpg
    496.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 20140615_161925.jpg
    20140615_161925.jpg
    602.8 KB · Views: 74

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Okay, it has been brought to my attention that my post portrays Ruger trailers in a bad light. I hope no one thinks that is my intention. What caused my rollover was driver stupidity with a little help from a new articulation hitch. The trailer rocks! Actually only 4 minor scratches on one fender after the roll.

I did not feel that. As noted above it is good to read about others mistakes. The trailer still looks super solid.

mac_jkr4d

Actually Steve at ruger trailers had a demo he was wanting to part with and I could not resist since I have wanted one for a while.

T-Rey1

Adventurer
Now that the trailer sits higher I can move to a bigger tire. I am going with a 265-70-16 since that was the original size on my truck. I dont have time to make a spare tire carrier so I checked if my 285-75-16's fit and they do. The spare for my truck and a plug kit should be enough till I can make a carrier. Now my jacks are too short.

Attachments

• 20140622_151027.jpg
    20140622_151027.jpg
    613.1 KB · Views: 70

MTaco

Adventurer
Thomas, we always follow your posts and very much enjoy them. Saw your recent additions to the trailer and they look very good. Noted that you intend to put risers on the trailer to get the tent higher. Just a heads-up, we are in the process of designing and fabricating just such a system. An engineer bought one of our units and Ruger Trailers collaborated in building one that raises from the top of the trailer approximately 30" higher to accomodate a RTT annex room, but then lowers to approximately 6" above the lid for less wind resistance during highway use. Don't want to tell too many details, but it is actuated by a remote electric control. Please feel free to call and I'll be glad to share information with you. We always enjoy seeing the improvements you make to the trailer and would be glad to help you, as this will add to the utility and functionality of your trailer. Regards, Steve at Ruger Trailers

Any more info on the RTT risers you are developing for your trailers?

bikemanx2

Observer
Here is what Steve and I have been working on. We are still working a few bugs out of it but its almost there and already is a blast to camp in. The tent platform is mounted directly to the frame rather than the lid. I didn't want to have to raise the weight of the tent along with the lid.
2014-07-09 20.53.55.jpg
On top of it our tent has an annex and we have an awning mounted as you can see below. Both would both pretty much be useless (at least for me at 6'3", the wife at 4'11" wouldn't have a problem) mounted at that low of a position. I didn't want the platform permanently mounted at a height that works well for the annex, awning, and lid opening since it would be so high in the air towing it would be terrible, so we worked on a design that is adjustable in height. I also wanted to ensure that it could be used in both the upper and lower positions. Using 2 linear actuators with 24" extension in opposite diagonal corners and the other 2 corners assisted with gas springs the entire platform can raise/lower with the push of a button. Currently I'm powering the actuators utilizing the 12V power through the 7 pin trailer connector since I don't have on board power yet.
20140704_173113.jpg
20140709_184019.jpg
20140709_184310.jpg
2014-07-09 20.54.39.jpg
20140709_190046.jpg

We have a CVT Mt Adams mounted on the trailer and love it. We opted to use high lift jacks for stabilizer jacks, I would rather carry equipment that serves multiple purposes than carry 2 other jacks that only really serve 1 purpose, plus I always carry 1 with me, what's 1 more? I have to say the trailer tows like a dream, quiet, smooth, you would forget it's back there unless you look for it.

I'm thinking we should get the other few bugs worked out over the next couple of weeks.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kabobkabobkabob