Ruger Trailers Denver

dstock

Explorer
Just my 2 cents...

My ARB 50qt fridge is 20" tall, in my ideal world, a trailer that would accommodate the fridge on a slide through the tailgate opening without having to lift the lid (say the RTT tent is on the lid and deployed) would be perfect.

Your trailers look great by the way, great price point as well.

STREGA

Explorer
If you are going to have a fridge in the trailer you will want to be able to access it without having to lift up the lid, especially if you have a RTT on it. My new style 50qt. ARB fridge mounted on a slide and with the transit bag is 21 1/2" tall. The Horizon I use to have used nylon spacers that were about 2" tall to bring the fridge up to the tailgate opening, since the floor of the tub was lower than the tailgate.

dstock

Explorer
If you are going to have a fridge in the trailer you will want to be able to access it without having to lift up the lid, especially if you have a RTT on it. My new style 50qt. ARB fridge mounted on a slide and with the transit bag is 21 1/2" tall. The Horizon I use to have used nylon spacers that were about 2" tall to bring the fridge up to the tailgate opening, since the floor of the tub was lower than the tailgate.

Exactly! Thanks for the info on the slide, I was wondering how much that would add to the overall height.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
What do you guys think of the larger tailgate we've designed ? The hinges will be have more beef than the ones pictured.View attachment 119952 Prototype

I'd say bigger is better but until I see it with taillights mounted I'll reserve judgement. I keep hoping that you will offer a removable top bar or even better leave it off and rely on more reinforcement in the lower corners and some HD tailgate latches. After all pickups have been doing it like that for almost a century and not many beds have fallen off except those that rusted out. Maybe the cargo trailer version will fit my needs better, any new info on that?

Ideally I'd like to see a bigger version with 5x7 at the top of the tub, full open tailgate as described above and a lid that is hinged at the front. Then I would add a bed platform 4x7 that just comes up to the top of the verticals sides with storage under that. I'd finish off with side and back curtains that fully enclose the tub like seen on VW bus pop-ups or the Auto Home Columbus This tent would also include the tailgate as an entryway. I think most off road trailers have gotten too complex and slow to employ. My design would allow very fast set up, little canvas exposed to the weather with less flapping and quicker dry time. Also would add a simple zip-on awning to cover the rear entry. What do you think?

Ace

RugerTrailer

The Trailer Guy
Just read your comments, I was wheeling in the San Juans the last few days and just got back.

Just my 2 cents...

My ARB 50qt fridge is 20" tall, in my ideal world, a trailer that would accommodate the fridge on a slide through the tailgate opening without having to lift the lid (say the RTT tent is on the lid and deployed) would be perfect.

Your trailers look great by the way, great price point as well.

Thanks for the compliment and fridge dimensions. A sliding door for a fridge would be awesome, but our goal is to give our customers a reasonably priced trailer as a base to build off of. That said we will do custom work and are quite skilled, I have been fabricating and welding as long as I can remember and it is now my main source of income. Custom work just gets expensive.

When I do a fridge, I will put it in my vehicle. I want to be able to access it while on the road not just after I set up camp, or when stopped.

Just another reason I plan to put mine in the vehicle. I will have a RTT in the next few months, as my personal trailer doesn't have a slide I want to access it without opening the trailer lid.

I'd say bigger is better but until I see it with taillights mounted I'll reserve judgement. I keep hoping that you will offer a removable top bar or even better leave it off and rely on more reinforcement in the lower corners and some HD tailgate latches. After all pickups have been doing it like that for almost a century and not many beds have fallen off except those that rusted out. Maybe the cargo trailer version will fit my needs better, any new info on that?

Ideally I'd like to see a bigger version with 5x7 at the top of the tub, full open tailgate as described above and a lid that is hinged at the front. Then I would add a bed platform 4x7 that just comes up to the top of the verticals sides with storage under that. I'd finish off with side and back curtains that fully enclose the tub like seen on VW bus pop-ups or the Auto Home Columbus This tent would also include the tailgate as an entryway. I think most off road trailers have gotten too complex and slow to employ. My design would allow very fast set up, little canvas exposed to the weather with less flapping and quicker dry time. Also would add a simple zip-on awning to cover the rear entry. What do you think?

Ace

No new info on the cargo trailer, still buttoning up finishing touches on the bigger tailgate and our tail light options as you mentioned. Also we are building a trailer now with a front hinged lid, I think it looks great ! :sombrero:

I agree with your statement that some trailers have gotten too complex. Thats why we are trying to keep it simple. We can and will do custom work although we like to keep things looking clean and simple, while being very functional, durable and easy to use.

Last edited:

STREGA

Explorer
I actually have my fridge in the vehicle as well. I use it all the time since my FJ is also my DD, it comes in quite handy for grocery shopping, carrying lunch for work and when on the trail having cool drinks is nice.

I agree a lot of trailers are getting pretty complex, which is OK for some people but not all of us need that much stuff. I myself really only need a trailer for longer trips to be able to carry extra water, fuel for the FJ, extra propane for the portable campfire and maybe some other gear. Your basic trailer (with brakes) would fit that need and will keep it simple for a reasonable $$$ outlay.

Matt

Adventurer
I wouldnt want to keep my Engel fridge in my trailer either, I dont see the point.
I'd rather keep my food and drinks with me if I leave camp.

dstock

Explorer
Just read your comments, I was wheeling in the San Juans the last few days and just got back.

Thanks for the compliment and fridge dimensions. A sliding door for a fridge would be awesome, but our goal is to give our customers a reasonably priced trailer as a base to build off of. That said we will do custom work and are quite skilled, I have been fabricating and welding as long as I can remember and it is now my main source of income. Custom work just gets expensive.

When I do a fridge, I will put it in my vehicle. I want to be able to access it while on the road not just after I set up camp, or when stopped.

Just another reason I plan to put mine in the vehicle. I will have a RTT in the next few months, as my personal trailer doesn't have a slide I want to access it without opening the trailer lid.

Thanks for the info. I go back and forth on the fridge location, pro and cons for having it in the vehicle vs the trailer and vice versa.

Another thought I had was having a box fabricated for the fridge to go on the storage rack at the front of the trailer which would probably be much cheaper and easier to execute. Leaves the option of using it for storage or for the fridge depending on the need at the time.

Thanks again.

RugerTrailer

The Trailer Guy
I wouldnt want to keep my Engel fridge in my trailer either, I dont see the point.

I completely agree.

Thanks for the info. I go back and forth on the fridge location, pro and cons for having it in the vehicle vs the trailer and vice versa.

Another thought I had was having a box fabricated for the fridge to go on the storage rack at the front of the trailer which would probably be much cheaper and easier to execute. Leaves the option of using it for storage or for the fridge depending on the need at the time.

Thanks again.

The fridge box on the tongue rack could be easily done for a reasonable price, maybe with a locking lid as well.

dstock

Explorer

Say you are traveling with the family, couple kids, etc. Maybe part of your group is hitting the trail and part of the group is staying put and hanging around your campsite, or some are back at the camp site prepping lunch or dinner while you and others are out in your vehicle. It's at those times I would rather have the fridge running off an aux battery with the rest of my kitchen stuff at the trailer at camp. I'm all about having options and being able to adapt to the needs of the journey simply and easily. Obviously, we don't all travel the same way which is what keeps this forum great, lots of an ideas and options no matter how you travel.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I don't yet have an off-road trailer but when I do I'll probably have two fridges. Currently have an ARB in my FJ and would add a fridge to the trailer, or maybe just a quality ice chest. I like options and duplicity. By the time the ice is gone from the cooler it should all fit in the fridge.

Ace

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Some are missing the types of trailers. Some are more for carrying equipment for quick set up, others are for week to a month set up, as a base camp. My wife would much rather set at camp than go wheeling every single day. That is the reason for the design of my trailer, keeping momma happy is by far the most important for me.

I have two, one in the trailer one in the truck, will be removing mine from the truck, as I just never use it. We seem to be stopping every hundred miles for potty stops, drink stops included. You need what works best for you. Mine would never work for a single guy on the quick and dirty trail run, but his would neve work for us either. Figure out what you need, what will make all in the family happy and go with that.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com

Home of the strongest, most trailworthy
Off Road Tear Drop made.

T-Rey1

Adventurer
Stumbled across the Ruger trailers while looking for a M416 trailer. I have to say that I have done extensive research on trailers and the type of set up that would work for me and I think the Ruger trailer is the one for me. The price is right and they are very nice looking. I will be contacting them shortly for my order

RugerTrailer

The Trailer Guy
Stumbled across the Ruger trailers while looking for a M416 trailer. I have to say that I have done extensive research on trailers and the type of set up that would work for me and I think the Ruger trailer is the one for me. The price is right and they are very nice looking. I will be contacting them shortly for my order

Steve just told me he has been in contact with you. Any more questions let me know.

Thank you for considering us. Any questions please PM or email me, rugertrailer@yahoo.com

I was out with my trailer this weekend, camped at 11,000 ft. 56922_144402909039795_79592046_o.jpg470555_144390812374338_401222585_o.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicotoup