"Safari Cab" modular hardtop project

nwoods

Expedition Leader
This looks amazing. But my wife will never let me buy one if the front panels don't pop out like the JK modular top. Any chance of making that feature available?
Also, for interior lighting, are you going to mold in a series of LED lights?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This looks amazing. But my wife will never let me buy one if the front panels don't pop out like the JK modular top. Any chance of making that feature available?
Also, for interior lighting, are you going to mold in a series of LED lights?

The roof is one piece, it does not have removable panels like the JK roof. I thought about it briefly during the design stage, but decided removable panels would not look right with the gently curving lines of this roof, plus I didn't want to have to solve the problems of sealing or structure.

I'm definitely putting interior lights in my top, I've already added a switch at the tailgate of my LJ which activates the factory interior lights when the tailgate is opened, and I've extended the lighting circuit to the rear of the Jeep by where the hardtop plug is, so I can add a plug to the hardtop for lighting. BTW while I was building the extra wiring harness for the hardtop lights I also added a power lock to my tailgate, I wanted that to make using the barn door more convenient :).

But I'm not exactly sure what to do about interior lights for the production tops. The 97-02 TJ hardtop wiring harnesses include support for the interior lights, but the 03-06 harnesses don't. If you've got a pre-03 hardtop equipped Jeep you'd be plug and play; if you've got a pre-03 non-hardtop Jeep you could just get the factory hardtop harness and install it, but there's no harness for the post-03's that includes the lighting circuits, so either the company would have to provide a harness, or they'd have to provide DIY instructions. I'm thinking many Jeep owners wouldn't want to be poking around under their dash to tap into wires to add the harness for interior lighting.

How would you guys suggest we solve this 03-06 problem?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Can you flip it over and use it as a boat?

Oh yeah, that would be the Everglades Airboat option. See, this one even says Safari on it :)

toursBoat.jpg

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I too am against sliders. I don't really see the point and they do add to noise, usually end up leaking and will only add visual clutter. Plus, from a manufacturing stand point it will add cost. If you have the vented opera windows on the rear then the sliders are not adding much value. Plus, if you have someone sitting in the back the split that is present in sliders will take away from their ability to see out, and that has always been the number one complaint I have heard from people sitting in the back. They are never hot or cold, just annoyed at the visibility.
I want them for the pooch.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The woodworking on the rear door/pickup cab panel outer is completed; the first shot shows it with no windows. This is the same length as a factory Scrambler half-top (also fits the Gaucho). Unfortunately it is raining today so I can't put these on the Gaucho and roll it out of the garage for photos. Maybe tomorrow.

GauchoHalfCab1.jpg

Here's a shot with three rear windows, I'm not sure if you'd use these windows on a pickup or a full length slider like the Scrambler, what do you think?

GauchoHalfCab2.jpg

And two shots of the rear wall sitting under the roof; unfortunately since the roof is a mold master and has extra reinforcement on the bottom I can't assemble these into a "real" top, so you'll have to use your imagination.

Next I'll make three sets of sides - short ones to lengthen the half-cab to Retro Wrangler/Brute length, TJ/YJ/CJ sides, and LJ sides. Should have all of those done within the next two days along with lots of photos...

GauchoHalfCab3.jpg

GauchoHalfCab4.jpg

---------------------
Questions about the Safari Cab? Try here first: Safari Cab FAQ

---------------------

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Oh and in case you're wondering how the different length roof panels will be made, here's an explanation.

All of the different length roof panels will be derived from the one wooden master I've built. The master is full length for the LJ version of the top as you probably know.

The first thing that happens is that a mold is made from this master, and from that mold LJ roof panels get made.

To make a mold for a TJ full top, an LJ roof panel gets made in the mold, and then the LJ roof panel is cut in two, shortened to the right length, and rejoined to make a new master. In the case of making a TJ full top, a fiberglass top would be cut at position 3, and the last 3" of the back of the top would be rejoined to that shortened front piece. Once the shorter top is made and the joint smoothed, a new mold is made from that new shorter master. So the result is a new mold at the right length for a TJ full top. There would be no splices in the finished tops, the splices are just in the intermediate masters.

By cutting and splicing, new masters (and then new molds) for anything from a Scrambler half-cab up to a Scrambler full cab can be made.

MasteringVersions.jpg

And if I ever decide to make a raised roof version, the front part of that new master would be a fiberglass piece pulled from the same mold; the rear raised part would be new construction, possibly even made by raising the rear part of the fiberglass top and making new sides to raise the panel.

And due to the modular design of the side panels, the door surround and rear corner modules are the same for all tops; the only thing that needs to be made for a different length top would be new side panels, which are the simplest panels of all. So it's a small amount of work to make molds for any of the other length tops.

---------------------

---------------------

TCM

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0006
The roof is one piece, it does not have removable panels like the JK roof. I thought about it briefly during the design stage, but decided removable panels would not look right with the gently curving lines of this roof, plus I didn't want to have to solve the problems of sealing or structure.

I'm definitely putting interior lights in my top, I've already added a switch at the tailgate of my LJ which activates the factory interior lights when the tailgate is opened, and I've extended the lighting circuit to the rear of the Jeep by where the hardtop plug is, so I can add a plug to the hardtop for lighting. BTW while I was building the extra wiring harness for the hardtop lights I also added a power lock to my tailgate, I wanted that to make using the barn door more convenient :).

But I'm not exactly sure what to do about interior lights for the production tops. The 97-02 TJ hardtop wiring harnesses include support for the interior lights, but the 03-06 harnesses don't. If you've got a pre-03 hardtop equipped Jeep you'd be plug and play; if you've got a pre-03 non-hardtop Jeep you could just get the factory hardtop harness and install it, but there's no harness for the post-03's that includes the lighting circuits, so either the company would have to provide a harness, or they'd have to provide DIY instructions. I'm thinking many Jeep owners wouldn't want to be poking around under their dash to tap into wires to add the harness for interior lighting.

Interior lighting over the cargo area is a must, LED if possible. I don't think DIY instructions would be an issue. This is a very simple mod and if a buyer was not comfortable with it then they just leave it out.

nwoods

Expedition Leader

Given your target market, I can't imagine this being an obtacle at all. I can't think of a vehicle more like to have Owner modifications than a Jeep... Well maybe Lancer:)

bummed about the fixed top.

bigwalton

Observer
On the removable panels, skipping them was a great call. With all of Jeep's engineering and production resources, even THEY can't get those panels to always seal up right on every Jeep (we have had ours leak a couple times, requiring removal/reinstall to seal properly). I'm more than a little worried about how the seals will hold up in the long run on the stock tops. I expect there to always be a market for those gaskets.

With the fact that this will be aftermarket, there's no way on earth removable panels would have been possible to make look and work right long-term.

Nice stuff Jeff! Can't wait to see these come together.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
On the removable panels, skipping them was a great call. With all of Jeep's engineering and production resources, even THEY can't get those panels to always seal up right on every Jeep (we have had ours leak a couple times, requiring removal/reinstall to seal properly). I'm more than a little worried about how the seals will hold up in the long run on the stock tops. I expect there to always be a market for those gaskets.

With the fact that this will be aftermarket, there's no way on earth removable panels would have been possible to make look and work right long-term.

Nice stuff Jeff! Can't wait to see these come together.

Thanks Eric, this project is challenging enough without taking on problems that even the big automakers can't get right :).

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Here's an example of how the modular approach works... on the left I've got the door surround connected to the rear corner, and the top is the right length for the Gaucho or a Scrambler.

On the right I've put a short side wall between the door surround and the rear corner to lengthen the sides of the top to be the right length for the Retro Wrangler or the Brute.

Stay tuned, tomorrow I'll do the side walls (and paper side windows) for the TJ/YJ/CJ.

RetroHalfCab1.jpg

---------------------

---------------------

Last edited:

flyboy161

I've got to say, with some embarassment, that I am finding this to be one of the most fascinating things I've ever seen. To watch this top evolve AND be solicited with all the rest of us to give input into it's evolution is a truly wonderful thing. Thank you Jeff! I'll be watching this process both here and JF!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater