"Safari Cab" modular hardtop project

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Looking at the model my Mk1 eyeball is telling me to be aware that there may not be enough structure to support a loaded roof. Depends on how it is constructed of course but still I am concerned about the lack of structure between the rear and side opera window and then the slider.

It would be stronger without the side opera window and with the sliding window moved back a touch to balance the aesthetics.

$0.02

There are many details of the design I haven't posted in this short thread, I've accounted for that in the fiberglass molding plan.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I believe this will be tied into the roll bar in some way, so holding a load, should not be an issue.

There are a number of details that I haven't posted, I've worked through these issues.

1. The side walls will be molded with strengthening in the rear around the windows and along the belt line below the windows.

2. The roof will have several cross-ribs supporting it.

3. Optionally, I have designed a system to support roof loads on the roll bars.

Flyn G

Observer
I love the concept top for the LJ, especially since I just bought an 06 with a soft-top. :safari-rig:

. I don't really care for the "huge" frames around the windows. I think smaller black rubber seals look better. The large silver frames remind me of travel trailers which make me think of flimsy.

. My boys in back would want a window that slides open easily and isn't blocked by a screen. Optional or removable screens or Velcro and bug netting may be the solution for those that require it.

. Being able to remove the doors and sides the way I can with the current soft top would really be a plus.

. I would like to crack open the rear opera Ala FJ40 to stop the buffeting wind noise.

. Weight bearing roof-rack would allow me to divert planned external cargo rack for the soft-top funds to the hard-top purchase. If it is not offered as a weight bearing top, wouldn't the step up top interfere with an external cargo racks for the roof racks?

. barn door, would only interest me if it would seamlessly work with the soft top too. Swapping doors, tire carriers etc sounds like more work than it would be worth.

Waiting for the end product...
Flyn G

86cj

Explorer
This really does look fantastic. But it does have me wondering if the LJ would also look best with a single large slider on the side instead of an opera window plus the slider. This configuration on the LJ would be very similar to the rear windows of a Defender 110. But hey that is what the mockups are for.

4438592139_dbfef588b6.jpg

Thumbs up on a great venture........

As a LJ owner, I think one large sliding side window looks alot better, the LJ top is way to busy looking. It would also give some more access to the rear from the outside, through the bigger open window when the screen is removed. The two best things about putting my soft top back on are ventilation and access to my gear, the down side is obviously security.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I love the concept top for the LJ, especially since I just bought an 06 with a soft-top. :safari-rig:
Thanks.

. I don't really care for the "huge" frames around the windows. I think smaller black rubber seals look better. The large silver frames remind me of travel trailers which make me think of flimsy.
The frames are white because that's the color they are in the drawing I got from the window manufacturer. They would be black on the actual top.

. My boys in back would want a window that slides open easily and isn't blocked by a screen. Optional or removable screens or Velcro and bug netting may be the solution for those that require it.
We haven't made any decisions on screens yet.

. Being able to remove the doors and sides the way I can with the current soft top would really be a plus.
The rear door upper will come off fairly easily. There are no plans to make the sides panels removable like soft top windows. That would require additional internal structure which would add cost. I did mock it up once on the model and I didn't think it looked very good either.

. I would like to crack open the rear opera Ala FJ40 to stop the buffeting wind noise.
I bought an FJ-40 hardtop a few months ago to study its construction and windows, so I've actually got some FJ-40 operas to play with. After giving it a lot of thought, I probably won't make the operas openable. It adds a lot of cost for something that most people probably wouldn't want and probably has limited value.

. Weight bearing roof-rack would allow me to divert planned external cargo rack for the soft-top funds to the hard-top purchase. If it is not offered as a weight bearing top, wouldn't the step up top interfere with an external cargo racks for the roof racks?
I don't have any measurements for external cargo racks, so I can't say if they fit over the roof. The roof panel I've already made is taller than the stock hardtop so it may not fit under one of those body-mounted racks. I'm sure if I built the step-up roof it would be too tall for those racks. If anyone has one and would like to share the dimensions with me, I could figure out if the roof will fit under one. Just let me know if you've got some dimensions anyone...

. barn door, would only interest me if it would seamlessly work with the soft top too. Swapping doors, tire carriers etc sounds like more work than it would be worth.
I actually have done a preliminary design for a replacement zip-in rear panel for the soft top which has a "barn door surround". It's a bit awkward though, because the angles really aren't the same - the angle of the barn door is about 2.5 degrees forward from vertical and the soft top angle is greater than that. I'll play with this idea a bit more when I get the basic top done. I really hate how inconvenient it is to get in the back by unzipping the window, so once I get a barn door in place I'll be wanting to make this work. :)

Waiting for the end product...
Flyn G
Me too :)

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Thumbs up on a great venture........

As a LJ owner, I think one large sliding side window looks alot better, the LJ top is way to busy looking. It would also give some more access to the rear from the outside, through the bigger open window when the screen is removed. The two best things about putting my soft top back on are ventilation and access to my gear, the down side is obviously security.

I'm working with the company to put a survey together we'll ask folks following this thread to respond to - window types will be covered in the survey, so please fill out the survey when we post it.

And if in the end the company decides to build the tops with something other than your first choice in windows, then you could always buy a van version of the top with no side windows and put in whatever type of windows you'd like...

SafariLJVan.jpg

---------------------
Questions about the Safari Cab? Try here first: Safari Cab FAQ

---------------------

Last edited:

Darton

Adventurer
just comming in on the back end of this. What's the current status of production. What are estimated timelines?

Layonnn

Adventurer
Looks pretty cool. Definitely has a LR Defender look to it. If i had a Wrangler i would definitely be interested.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Looks pretty cool. Definitely has a LR Defender look to it. If i had a Wrangler i would definitely be interested.

Thanks. It really wasn't my intention to make the top look like the Defender, I am trying to design something that looks like it was designed as part of the complete package along with the Jeep, something that looks like it "belongs" as part of the Jeep from the beginning. Something the Jeep designers would have come up with if they were trying to create a totally integrated vehicle design that included a hardtop... Something that echoes the gentle compound curves of the Jeep's hood; something that flows from the lines of the tub...

Yes there is a resemblance to the Defender top, but that's mostly coincidental, arising out of my goals in the paragraph above - I was not attempting to copy the Defender top. If you compare the two you'll see the Defender top has no compound curves, only simple curves, and the defender has right angles at the back instead of curves.

Both tops do have opera windows in the rear, which is a main similarity I suppose.

My design inspirations for this top included the 80's Jeep factory World Cabs; the 50's and 60's aftermarket Koenig tops for the CJ-5 and CJ-6; the 70's/80's Venezuelan Jeep Llanero hardtop (pre-World Cab); the 70's Toyota FJ40 tops; the Defender tops and mostly the lines of the Jeeps themselves. You can see elements of all those tops in my design, but hopefully people will see it as a design that fits the lines of the Jeep naturally and perfectly, rather than a copy of any of the others. Maybe someday I'll post a montage of "inspiration photos" of other vehicles that I referenced when doing my design...

Well anyway I hope everyone likes the design I've come up with. I believe I've achieved my design goals. :)

LandRoverCompare1.jpg

TJCabEdit.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach