SAMI's '99 4Runner

Paul R

Adventurer
Skylinerider said:
Aren't spacers illegal in Utah?
Spacers are illegal as in ones that don't bolt to the stud (more of a washer idea), but the ones jason is talking about are pretty standard I think it is technically called an adapter even though it is just going from 6 on 5.5 to 6 on 5.5 and they are quite popular with the early toyota crowd.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Lots of people run spacers. Just make sure you get nice ones, because one of those failing at speed would be horrible.
Also, is your buddy implying that the spacers increased his wheel travel? This isn't true unless he is talking microscopically. :smiley_drive:

sami said:
A buddy of mine runs desert roads at speed and has found the added width helps incredibly. He runs Bilstein coilovers up front(IIRC), and he says he gets 13"s of travel when combined with the spacers.

I'm not sure i'll do that just yet though..

Highest on the priority list are:
OME lift
Sliders
RTT

I'd be perfectly satisfied if that's all i ran for awhile til i can get some other goodies.

-Jason

sami

Explorer
Honestly, i'm not too worried about spacer.. adapters.. or spacer adapters :)

... let's just go wheeling :)

Skylinerider

Adventurer
Paul R said:
Spacers are illegal as in ones that don't bolt to the stud (more of a washer idea), but the ones jason is talking about are pretty standard I think it is technically called an adapter even though it is just going from 6 on 5.5 to 6 on 5.5 and they are quite popular with the early toyota crowd.

Ahhh, I see. I don't much care either, just something I'd heard.

4RunAmok

Explorer
I just asked because I've never heard of a wheel spacer/adapter. Know that it's explained, I've seen them, just didn't understand what he was referring to.

BruceTS

Observer
kcowyo said:
Ooohhh.... the green Sport Edition. Another rarity. They only offered the Sport Edition in green for a short run.

Actually it's the Highlander edition, they only came in Green or Black in 99', in 2001 they changed it to the Sport edition since they also introduced the Highlander SUV.

sami said:
A buddy of mine runs desert roads at speed and has found the added width helps incredibly. He runs Bilstein coilovers up front(IIRC), and he says he gets 13"s of travel when combined with the spacers.

I'd like to see 13" of travel out of stock suspension... he must be running 3" spacers, the most I have ever seen is 9.5" safely, 10.5" if you want to push the CV's and tear the boots....

taco chaser

Supporting Sponsor
I'm late with this reply, but those 4 runners are a great platform for mild to wild. Very smart purchase for all around necessity. I would love to own a 98-2000 4runner some day myself.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Skylinerider said:
Ahhh, I see. I don't much care either, just something I'd heard.

Its the law ;) Spacers added ONLY to increase the track width are illegal in the State of Utah, if they are "adapter" meaning they physically change the pattern, then you are OK. Nothing I would be too worried about though :D

Paul R

Adventurer
cruiseroutfit said:
Its the law ;) Spacers added ONLY to increase the track width are illegal in the State of Utah, if they are "adapter" meaning they physically change the pattern, then you are OK. Nothing I would be too worried about though :D

That is good to know... I guess I heard wrong.
Thanks Kurt :)

cruiseroutfit

Paul R said:
That is good to know... I guess I heard wrong.
Thanks Kurt :)

41-6a-1630. Standards applicable to vehicles.
(b) Except for original equipment, a person may not use spacers to increase wheel track width of a vehicle.

:D

Skylinerider

Adventurer
cruiseroutfit said:

I found a link to the state inspection stuff, and found it.:p I'm not worried about it since I don't have them on my Jeep.

cruiseroutfit

Skylinerider said:
I found a link to the state inspection stuff, and found it.:p I'm not worried about it since I don't have them on my Jeep.

If I recall its the inspection manual that says "adapters" are OK right?

I've never considered the manual to be a law though, I've always considered it an interpretation. Of course a UHP dude has been emailing me about my comments on the subject, he thinks otherwise :littlefriend: (I'm serious about the emails too :D)

sami

Explorer
cruiseroutfit said:
he thinks otherwise :littlefriend: (I'm serious about the emails too :D)

better watch yer back kurt.. Them's UHP's... you gotta stop fer them:pROFSheriffHL:

:hehe:

cruiseroutfit

sami said:
better watch yer back kurt.. Them's UHP's... you gotta stop fer them:pROFSheriffHL:

:hehe:

Saw plenty of them out on the highway this last weekend, no issues :D

The UHP'er I'm speaking of happens to be an RME'er, he assured me beadlocks are illegal and he has written tickets to prove it. I again argued that a ticket doesn't prove any law has been broken, the law he cited was a general safetey law that does give the UHP the authority to judge reasonable safety. At that point we argued wether the UHP has the engineering background to deem a beadlock "safe" or "unsafe". Long story short we agreed to disagree :REOutShootinghunter He is a really cool guy and I totally see where he was coming from, in hindsite I shouldn't call their rules "interprations" in a demeaning way, if in fact it came across that way to some?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater