SAMI's '99 4Runner

sami

Explorer
I haven't added much to the rig lately, but there have been some minor upgrades.. Along with wheels, tires, and a new antenna; the rig got a good work over at the dealership to keep up on PM items.. New CV boots, bearings, fluid changes, bla bla bla... The stuff that'll give you good piece of mind for long trips.

The two main items that i'd like to tackle and complete through winter are, one: custom storage over the driver rear fender; and two: More protective front bumper solution... probably TJM or ARB.. If i have the money I will shoot for a Shrokworks front bumper.

The rig runs great! I love this machine, and do not regret picking it up one bit. Sometimes i wonder what it'd be like to have a DC Taco, but maybe one day i'll find out... For now i'm enjoying myself with the Highlander edition 4runner. I do have high mileage maintenace coming up in about 25k more miles.. I'll get the timing done, and adjust valves and such..

New wheels and tires.. OEM '01 Tacoma spare wheels w/ 285's
100_2501.jpg

100_2502.jpg

Added: quickfist mounts for Maglight and fire extinguisher
0711081924.jpg

Stellar trip to Lake Powell area... (note the new CB aerial fender mount)
n.jpg

f.jpg

t.jpg

100_2591.jpg

100_2589.jpg

100_2565.jpg

100_2548.jpg

Last edited:

sami

Explorer
maclean216 said:
Did you get any pics of the 882 coils before you put them on? I am wondering if you have 10 wraps or 12 wraps.

I know my stock front coils had 10. I went and looked at the 882's, 12 wraps confirmed.

Last edited:

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Looks good, man. Looks like a fun trip to Powell. Haven't been down there in years.

Why did you get the steelies? I do like the black wheels, but I love the stock 5-spoke rims.

sami

Explorer
Cackalak Han said:
Looks good, man. Looks like a fun trip to Powell. Haven't been down there in years.

Why did you get the steelies? I do like the black wheels, but I love the stock 5-spoke rims.

One reason... well, i guess one and a half reasons.. MAIN reason was because i got really tired of seeing green 4runners with the 5 spoke alloys... which is sad, because that is my favorite wheel on 4runner and taco's combined.. But, i like the look of the OEM steelies.. Gives it a sort of utilitarian look.. So in all, to stand out from the crowd of green 4runners on nearly every corner i changed wheel styles.. Even painted them charcoal to stay away from the ever popular black wheels...

so, one and a half reasons why i parted with the awesomeness of the 5 spokes..

PS.. i made around $250 from switching the alloy/265's for the steel/285's...

Cackalak Han

Explorer
sami said:
One reason... well, i guess one and a half reasons.. MAIN reason was because i got really tired of seeing green 4runners with the 5 spoke alloys... which is sad, because that is my favorite wheel on 4runner and taco's combined.. But, i like the look of the OEM steelies.. Gives it a sort of utilitarian look.. So in all, to stand out from the crowd of green 4runners on nearly every corner i changed wheel styles.. Even painted them charcoal to stay away from the ever popular black wheels...

so, one and a half reasons why i parted with the awesomeness of the 5 spokes..

PS.. i made around $250 from switching the alloy/265's for the steel/285's...

Cool. It does make it look tougher. :D I see quite a few FJC's now with the steelies on there.

I just did a quick black spray paint job on a second set of 4Runner rims on my Tacoma (the 3 split-spoke kind).

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
sami said:
The two main items that i'd like to tackle and complete through winter are, one: custom storage over the driver rear fender; and two: More protective front bumper solution... probably TJM or ARB.. If i have the money I will shoot for a Shrokworks front bumper.

TJM isn't offered in the US any more they pulled out. So your stuck with ARB, Shrockworks, Ibiris or Armology for a bumper.

Nice 4runner by the way.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
ttora4runner said:
TJM isn't offered in the US any more they pulled out. So your stuck with ARB, Shrockworks, Ibiris or Armology for a bumper.

Nice 4runner by the way.

That or start searching for a used unit. I just installed a new old stock TJM bumper for a customer today on a 99 4Runner (Sami you ought to check out bfergs Runner). He scored it on craigslist for $400 :cool:

Having never installed a TJM product on a 4Runner I has mixed feelings. I like the overall bumper, but I'm not of fan of their mounts, we did an end-cap mod just to increase the strength. The finished look is great!

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
cruiseroutfit said:
That or start searching for a used unit. I just installed a new old stock TJM bumper for a customer today on a 99 4Runner (Sami you ought to check out bfergs Runner). He scored it on craigslist for $400 :cool:

Having never installed a TJM product on a 4Runner I has mixed feelings. I like the overall bumper, but I'm not of fan of their mounts, we did an end-cap mod just to increase the strength. The finished look is great!

I concur. Love my TJM, but I'm going to weld on some plate I could easily grind off when I want to remove it. From the bumper to the frame. I just feel like it needs a bit more holding onto the frame rails.

sami

Explorer
Hadn't heard that about TJM... I'll keep my eyes open for an ARB, or save up for Shrok..

I'll have to scope out fergs rig... Did he unload the 80 finally? Did he score the bumper, or the 4runner for $400??

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
sami said:
The rig runs great! I love this machine, and do not regret picking it up one bit. Sometimes i wonder what it'd be like to have a DC Taco, but maybe one day i'll find out... For now i'm enjoying myself with the Highlander edition 4runner.

As a previous owner of a 3rd gen and 2nd gen 4Runner, and now in a DC Taco, I can tell you I miss a lot of things about the 4Runner. Both platforms have their advantages, but the 3rd gen 4Runner continues to be one of my favorites. You're rig looks great! I dig the OEM steelies - I'm slowly accumulating a set to use with a second set of tires.

cruiseroutfit

SOAZ said:
I concur. Love my TJM, but I'm going to weld on some plate I could easily grind off when I want to remove it. From the bumper to the frame. I just feel like it needs a bit more holding onto the frame rails.

I'll try and get some pics of the mod we did. 100% bolt on (brackets that is) by adding a full frame cap with a captured nut (welded) to the end of the frame. This really tightened everything up nicely. It took 4-5 hours total by the time we plas'ed the old brackets off, tapered the frame and built the end caps. Its a very similar and proven mod on the ARB installs too.

cruiseroutfit

sami said:
...I'll have to scope out fergs rig... Did he unload the 80 finally? Did he score the bumper, or the 4runner for $400??

80 is sold and the bumper was $400 :D

sami

Explorer
cruiseroutfit said:
80 is sold and the bumper was $400 :D

Jealous, that's a good find.. Due to the wedding/honeymoon i've pryed myself away from scouring classifieds.. not much $$ right now, so i only get depressed when i see a good deal that i can't touch.

What wheels is he running? I noticed a month or two ago that his 5 spoke alloys were for sale(about the same time i sold mine)

sami

Explorer
Jacket said:
As a previous owner of a 3rd gen and 2nd gen 4Runner, and now in a DC Taco, I can tell you I miss a lot of things about the 4Runner. Both platforms have their advantages, but the 3rd gen 4Runner continues to be one of my favorites. You're rig looks great! I dig the OEM steelies - I'm slowly accumulating a set to use with a second set of tires.

This is good to hear :) I gotta keep my head in 4runner game.

A friend recently tipped me off to a Trekker that needs a little work, that would be really cheap to pick up... I'm saving a little on the side incase it's too good to pass up.. I have a weakness for unique vehicles, and a Trekker would be all too cool. Then i'd have the pre-4runner of 4runners, and the '99!

...pipe dreams ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater