SAMI's '99 4Runner

toy_tek

Adventurer
Looks like a great ride.

To beat the spacer topic some more: I purposely limited my tire size to what fit without spacers (285's). The 3rd Gen 4runner is (for some reason) very prone to tire balance issues and the spacers seem to magnify those or even create balance issues on their own. Just a heads up.

sami

Explorer
Well if you noticed my ghost town hunting thread, you'd know that i took the new rig out for an adventure on Saturday.

I traveled 455 miles, 130 of which off road. The rig handled flawlessly. It's a whole new world for me experiencing a coil suspension, V6 power, COLD A/C!! I've been stuck in a bumpier, dustier, world with no A/C for 8 years now. I averaged 16mpg's from start of the trail to town, coming in to the gas station on mere fumes. :) My highway mpg's are a respectable 22-23 right now. I love this 4runner, simply put.

100_0595.jpg

100_0596.jpg

100_0643.jpg

BruceTS

Observer
cruiseroutfit said:
The UHP'er I'm speaking of happens to be an RME'er, he assured me beadlocks are illegal and he has written tickets to prove it. I again argued that a ticket doesn't prove any law has been broken, the law he cited was a general safetey law that does give the UHP the authority to judge reasonable safety.

If I lived in Utah, I'd fight the ticket, and have him prove that beadlocks were unsafe. Show evidence etc..... I doubt he'll ever be able to produce any facts to prove his case. In fact it would be easier to prove that beadlocks are much safer, since you won't de-bead a tire if you get a flat. Here in California the CHP sing a different tune, they won't write you for having them, stating there is no law being broken.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
BruceTS said:
If I lived in Utah, I'd fight the ticket, and have him prove that beadlocks were unsafe. Show evidence etc..... I doubt he'll ever be able to produce any facts to prove his case. In fact it would be easier to prove that beadlocks are much safer, since you won't de-bead a tire if you get a flat...

Exactly my argument :D

Therein lies the problem however, out of all the 4x4 boards I frequent, I'm yet to actually hear from a credible person that received a ticket for beadlocks. We'll see what happens when I do :gunt:

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Being a chronic ticket fighter in my past, I can say that fighting tickets in Utah is very difficult and a major PITA, for what its worth..

BruceTS

Observer
Oh, if he tries to use the split rim argument, he'd lose since beadlocks don't react the same. If half the bolts were torn off the ring, it would simply lose air and the ring won't go flying off like split rims did.

As to his very poor attempt at saying they are unsafe, then how come I've been running them for 4 years without any issues, not even a loose bolt. This one would definately be fun in court, making him look like a total idiot on the stand.

What are your credentials? his reply..... I'm a cop!

Can you elaborate? I'm god and what I say goes.......

Do you have an engineering background? why would I need that, I'm the law!

Now on the issue of beadlocks, why do you consider them unsafe? because I can't afford them for my cruiser. so nobody else is allowed to have them..

Can you elaborate? If the bad guy has them, then he'd be able to drive places I can't follow, since his tires will stay attached to his rims better, therefore they are unsafe, since I can't follow.

The judge's decision....... the officer has proven them to be unsafe, so therefore judgment against the defendant.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Nice. Which package/combo did you go with? When I had my 4Runner, I was going to go with 881/906 with the comfort shocks.

I need to order an OME kit for my Tacoma, as well.

sami

Explorer
Cackalak Han said:
Nice. Which package/combo did you go with? When I had my 4Runner, I was going to go with 881/906 with the comfort shocks.

I need to order an OME kit for my Tacoma, as well.

I went with the...

2 - OME 882 Front Coil Springs
2 - N91S Front Nitrocharger Shock
2 - OME 891* Rear Coil Springs
2 - N86 Rear Nitrocharger Shock Absorber

*OME 891 Coil designed for 660lbs to GVM additional REAR load

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Fixed it for you ;)

sami said:
I went with the...

2 - OME 882 Front Coil Springs
2 - N91S Front Nitrocharger Shock
2 - OME 890 Rear Coil Springs
2 - N86 Rear Nitrocharger Shock Absorber

*OME 890 Coil designed for 330lbs to GVM additional REAR load

4RunAmok

Explorer
I went with 891's on mine as well, and I couldn't be happier.

They handle our 50 pound Roof Top Tent and camping gear nicely, and I don't bottom out anymore. I think I was riding on the bump stops before. No more thud when I hit something.

You're gonna love'em!

I went with King Coil-Overs in the front though. Needed something adjustable since I'll be buying a Shrockworks bumper in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater