Saw this FJ plow through a car in Fairfax, VA (He had an ARB front Bumper)

lysol

Explorer
The occupant(s) from the car were ambulanced away fairly quickly. I couldn't see any major (or even minor for that matter) damage to his FJ. I hope the people in the car are OK. That place is bad for traffic. One lane will be stopped while another will be moving pretty fast. Add in someone trying to pull out between the cars in the stopped lane and then out in the quick lane and BAM. Not sure if this is exactly what happened, but I've seen it almost happen many times.

location - Lee Highway just east of the Cedar Lane intersection

20141104_164346_zpsa6847730.jpg

Last edited:

bikerjosh

Explorer
Here is a guy hitting a tree at 50 mph in his 2012 4runner.

133672d1413491053-maybe-end-mebe4runnings-reign-20141016_161449_resized.jpg

I would have expected more out of that bumper. JK! About 2 weeks before I took delivery of my 4runner, the PO was driving when someone in an HHR (think pt-cruiser shape) ran a red light and he t-boned them. Lucky no passenger in the car at the time. Folded that car like a beer can, aside from a some scratched paint on the ARB and winch hook 4runner was fine.

Sounds like
ARB vs car = ARB wins
ARB vs nature = nature wins

Still love having my ARB when the traffic is all backed up. People never seem to want to stay right in front of me.

lndhark

Adventurer
Sounds like
ARB vs car = ARB wins
ARB vs nature = nature wins

Still love having my ARB when the traffic is all backed up. People never seem to want to stay right in front of me.

I hear ya. I had one on my '86 Toyota truck and it was awesome commuting in downtown Los Angeles. ARB bumper + Warn 9500i + Lightforce lights = wide open lane in front.

lndhark

Adventurer
You say that like it's a joke. This is really happening in parts of Europe and even Australia (home of the bullbar). Won't be long til it's here next. Time to stock up!

Very true Adam, but that's been going on for nearly 20 years now. It seems to pop up into the spotlight now and again then fades away. If that does ever come to fruition, it would be met with a lot of pushback from our strong aftermarket supporters and lobbyist (think: SEMA).

Let's hope it doesn't come to that! Group buy on a container of bull bars, anyone? :sombrero:

Rumpig

Adventurer
You say that like it's a joke. This is really happening in parts of Europe and even Australia (home of the bullbar). Won't be long til it's here next. Time to stock up!
there is no bullbar ban here in Australia at the moment and i highly doubt it will happen with the animal strikes we have here. Certain types of bullbars are being singled out in some states by Transport authorities at the moment due to their design, and the fact they don't meet design rules, but that's not a ban issue as such. Talk has started like what has happened in Europe on the ban subject, but whilst i can clean a roo up in the wifes sedan in suburban Brisbane and with the popularity of the 4wd market through out the country, i doubt a ban will ever come in place here.

lugueto

Adventurer
You know, living in NYC for a few months had me wondering why everyone had these plastic or foam bumper protectors when parking. I never had anyone bump my car when parked. Or did they? Meh, if they did its their problem, I never noticed:sombrero:

On a more serious note, we do have a sort of ban here in Venezuela, although its enforcement comes and goes, the major problem here is anyone with a sheet of steel, a few tubes and a welder would build themselves a "bumper", add that to the horrible driving skills and it resulted in a few hideous accidents. Keeping my safety in mind (and everyone else's) I use an ARB or a properly designed bull bar.

By the way, I ended up nearly flipping a Suzuki Vitara (she had barely enough to stay rightside up, landed again on the bar) with my cruiser when a Chevy Avalanche rear-ended me and even though the bar was toast, the front end of my truck was perfect, the bar slid out perfectly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven